GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can't access Freeola htdocs folder using dial up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/11/11 at 15:26
Regular
Hi,

Been having this problem last few days. I connect to Freeola using 0845 3070, also tried 0845 3080 and then when I try to connect to the htdocs folder in IE9 i keeps getting a pop up message asking for username and password, I only occasionally used to get this pop up but it is doing it all the time now and no matter what info I put in there it is still refusing me access to the htdocs folder.

I usually navigate to the upload page using broadband, I click on "View/edit Domain Details, click on "Hosting and Settings" next to the domain name, then click the tab "upload files to website". When I am on the upload page I then start up my dial up modem, then after it has connected I wait a few seconds then click on "Open your website folder to upload files to your site".

When Internet Explorer 9 opens I then click the "view"tab, scroll down to "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer", then the cgi-shl and httdocs window attempts to open but a box immediately appears asking for a username and password. Tried putting in the SR number and password, my account login and password, nothing works, it just will not let me in.

Tried navigating to the upload page using broadband then completely disconnected my broadband modem, waited 5 mins, then reconnected with my dial up modem and exactly the same thing is happening. Tried it on 2 computers and I still cannot past the box asking for the username and password.

I've cleared my cache, restarted my computer, tried over and over but it just is not letting me upload.

Is there currently a problem with the dial up service for uploading?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mack

ps: the server in question is freeolaweb8, however I have tried uploading other sites which are on different freeola servers and am experiencing the same problem.
Mon 21/11/11 at 23:11
Regular
Great to see the upload instructions have been updated for Internet Explorer users on the upload page. As I originally mentioned the previous instructions were not working using IE9.

I haven't tried it myself yet personally with now using an FTP client instead.

Great to see Freeola are listening and fixing things. Thank you again.

Mack
Sat 12/11/11 at 12:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
:¬)

Sat 12/11/11 at 11:56
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
...Unless you are using Windows 7, dump IE9:¬) You're probably running OS XP or Vista...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 12/11/11 at 11:43
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi DL,
FYI you can't run IE9 on XP - IE8 is the last MS browser XP can use!

I wasn't aware that I had said that XP would run IE9 - I assumed that as there were problems, then incompatibility with the OS would be a good place to start :¬)
Sat 12/11/11 at 11:16
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
FYI you can't run IE9 on XP - IE8 is the last MS browser XP can use!

I've also read that IE10 won't be running on Vista, only W7 onwards - seems mad to me as they are forcing people onto alternate browsers. Starting to look at bit like Apple if they aren't careful ;¬)

With FireFox I use the FireFTP add-on as a backup just in case my trusty Filezilla isn't around for some reason.
It hasn't been updated for a while but still seems to work.

I'll try FTP with IE9 later if I get a chance just to see what happens - but as we've all mentioned FTP using IE has always been a bit hit and miss!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 11/11/11 at 23:00
Regular
Hi Dragon,

Yep I'm using Windows 7 and IE9.

I wasn't aware the latest Firefox worked as an FTP upload facility, there was no mention of that on the upload files page. I still reckon they should update the info there though as it is describing how to upload with IE with incorrect info if using the latest version, it doesn't work.

I've uploaded hundreds of sites to Freeola and only encountered the problem after upgrading to IE9.

Think I will use my FTP client "Web Publisher" in future and thanks for the heads up about Firefox.

Cheers,

Mack
Fri 11/11/11 at 19:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Mackerboot wrote:
Hi Moto,

Yep it definately a problem with IE9, it doesn't work.

May be a good idea for Freeola to update the info on the upload page regarding IE to avoid frustration for customers who recently upgraded from IE8 to IE9.

It used to work in IE8 if a little unreliably. Spent 2 days trying to upload being charged 10p for the connection charge each time.

I ended up using an old FTP client called Web Publisher which connected first time.

Mack

Unless you are using Windows 7, dump IE9:¬) You're probably running OS XP or Vista, so if you need the 'added functionality' install the latest FireFox version and only use that when you need it. Freeola shouldn't worry too much about their 'info' as most banking sites can't handle IE9 either!
Fri 11/11/11 at 17:07
Regular
Hi Moto,

Yep it definately a problem with IE9, it doesn't work.

May be a good idea for Freeola to update the info on the upload page regarding IE to avoid frustration for customers who recently upgraded from IE8 to IE9.

It used to work in IE8 if a little unreliably. Spent 2 days trying to upload being charged 10p for the connection charge each time.

I ended up using an old FTP client called Web Publisher which connected first time.

Mack
Fri 11/11/11 at 16:38
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
I don't think that Internet Explorer was ever a native FTP client, old versions used to simply open FTP addresses in Windows Explorer instead.

It seems that in the latter versions of Internet Explorer they decided against this functionality and simply show you the contents of the FTP directory within an HTML template.

Another suggestion, other than FileZilla, is to type the following into the address bar of Windows Explorer:

ftp://*ftpusername*:*ftppassword*@*ftpserver*
Fri 11/11/11 at 16:15
Regular
Thanks "H" will try that, defo having problems with IE9 lately, I've recently upgraded from IE8 so I'm wondering if there is an incompatibity issue with Freeola. Will post back how I get on with Filezilla asap.

Mack

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.