GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sorry to sound like such a cynic during the festive period but..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/12/01 at 13:19
Regular
Sorry to sound like such a cynic during the festive period but is it me or are there many others who beleive that the success of the PS1 and PS2 are only due to four popular letters that introduce the playstation.
Now, i know that the playstation had a few good games like metal gear and the on-going final fantasy series yet there was very little more than that---and the system had 1000+ games to its name!

Behind Nintendo's handheld systems the playstation is the most succesfull console of all time and approximately only 4-5% of it's games are above average!

As i have stated above the four letters that have led to the success of the Playstation are indeed S-O-N-Y of course.

Think about it, would any of you bought the 'Hitatchi Playstation' with 4%-5% decent games and a CD player.
-> You can draw your own conclusions.

Then again, the PS2's prospects are looking rosier by the day-(Jak and Dakster, GTA3, Burnout,Devil May Cry)but how long will this last for? A few months? Until the festive Xmas Shopping season is over?

And indeed a Games Cosole is used for playing video games and not to play DVDs nor to play CDs and it seems Nintendo are the only participents in the next-gen console war to be emphasizing this.

Well, here's this member reminiscing of the glorious times of when Sega and Nintendo ruled supreme releasing game-upon-game of jam packed gameplay where graphics were not of the matter.
Wed 09/11/11 at 14:18
Regular
Rear lights for this one please, lets have at least 1 or 2 lumens pointing backwards : )
And Tea at the Ribchester mmmmmmmmm
Tue 08/11/11 at 14:50
Evenin........

We're doing one of our favourite rides tomorrow over Longridge Fell.

Meet at the Ribchester Arms at 6pm
Eat at 8pm la!

Rear mudguards essential LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PK
Wed 02/01/02 at 18:38
ermmm jive if you don't mind me asking she seems like super girlfriend apart from mine of course so why is she your ex? i've got my gf into gaming now which was kinda a mistake seeing as i can't play my ps2 cause she's bloody on it all the time
Wed 02/01/02 at 16:24
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Ben Hodgetts wrote:
>he or she is now an acceptable member of society who actually has quite alot friends and is actually quite cool.

Couldn't agree more with this statement, was speaking to my ex over the festive period, in the pub they had a PS2 up for 1st prize in the raffle.....she said to me that she wanted to win it cos otherwise she'll have to go out and buy one!

*Jive faints to floor but woken by faint whiff of Stella in the air*

She's smart, witty, damn attractive and has a great ??? (wouldn't let me post that bit) and also wants a PS2....she's like a fine wine, gets better with age!

Yeah it is cool to have one nowadays and has thankfully lost that geeky image! Thanks SONY for the nongeek image.
Wed 02/01/02 at 16:07
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
What a load of BOLLARDS! Of course people would of bought the Playstation if it was made by Hitachi, or even my Mum. It's like saying, would you of bought that house where you live iffffffffffff, it was made by Barrett? Of course you bloomin' well would of!

'outlaw_uk2002's final thought'

If the Gamecube is going to be made by Microsoft, and the X-Box by Nintendo, would you change from what you are intending to get? You think about that; see you next time folks!
Wed 02/01/02 at 14:25
one thing i think everyone can agree on except maybe some of the very die hard ninty fans is that Sony has done the biggest service to video games by breaking them free of it's geeky image and actually making them cool and part of todays lifestyle.
let's go back 10 years now what the average view of a gamer. he was seen as a nerdy, geeky loner usually with 6 inch glasses and would be the type to see trainspotting as a fun day out.
fast forward 10 years and thanks to the playstation what's the view of the gamer now? he or she is now an acceptable member of society who actually has quite alot friends and is actually quite cool.

no one now is afraid to admit they are gamers anymore unlike 10 years ago. now you can't give the megadrive or SNES credit for that you can give the playstation all the credit for it. so all hail the playstation for making gaming cool and making it lose it's geeky image HURRAH FOR SONY
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Back For Good"
The Playstation had more great titles than people could handle, N64 owners always use that phrase "Quality not Quantity" hmm so just because the PS had more games means they're all rubbish and all N64 games are "quality". sounds like a petty excuse for lack of games ;-)

I still haven't finished getting all the PS1 games I'm after :-D
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:38
"High polygon count"
e_nibre wrote:
> Behind Nintendo's handheld systems the playstation is the most
> succesfull console of all time

Completely different market - PlayStation was and still is the most successful console ever. Nintendo's handhelds are a different matter and, to be honest, have never really had any serious competition; it's easy to be market leader when you supply the only products in that market. That said, both the Game Gear and Atari Lynx were far better systems than the original Gameboy. And despite Sega's "great games", the Game Gear failed miserably; the best thing about it was the TV adapter.

> and approximately only 4-5% of it's games are
> above average!

That's personal opinion, of course. But even if true, there are so many games available for the PlayStation that even that 4 or 5 percent probably matches the 75% of "brilliant" games that Sega or Nintendo put out. I'd rather have a large pool of games and pick those that suit me than be restricted to a handful of games.

> Think about it, would any of you bought the 'Hitatchi
> Playstation' with 4%-5% decent games and a
> CD player.

I think most people would have, yes. PlayStation is a good machine that happens to be made by Sony. If it had been made by any other company - Hitachi, Philips, AIWA etc. - it would still have been a good machine.

"Would you buy it if it wasn't Sony" is a stupid thing to say; whether you like it or not, people bought it because it's a good machine with a good choice of software. Please note that "good choice" does *not* imply that all the games are good, merely that there is a good selection of games available - better than any platform other than the PC.

> Then again, the PS2's prospects are looking rosier by the
> day

They are indeed - and they weren't particularly bad to begin with, so it's just a good situation getting better.

> but how long will this last for? A few months? Until the festive Xmas
> Shopping season is over?

Until 2004-5 at least.

> And indeed a Games Cosole is used for playing video
> games and not to play DVDs nor to play CDs and it seems Nintendo are the only
> participents in the next-gen console war to be emphasizing this.

Yes, they are - but neither the PS2 or Xbox claim to be games consoles - they are home entertainment systems which happen to play games, but are capable of so much more.

So, as with the handhelds, you can quite possibly say that Nintendo will win the next-gen console wars, because once again they're in a market of one, and you can't help but win in a race with no opposition.
Wed 02/01/02 at 01:45
I write video game reviews for my local student newspaper and I've had most of my games for free.

I actually have that PowerPuff girls beat em up game, and 'Creatures' too... but their both quite dodgy.

As for the rest of my games, I bought most of 'em off a mate for cheap because he needed the cash. And they are ALL perfectly legal ;)
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:21
Regular
"WWJD"
i wasn't talking to you and are they copyed games or did u buy them all

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.