GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Get your retro games back-Abandonware"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/12/01 at 21:05
Regular
remember a classic game that you no longer have....want it back?

Well i was searching the net a few months ago and found a load of "abandonware" games. These are games which have ben out of production for more than 3 or 5 years and can therefore be download. This provides loads of old classic games which you can no longer buy and i am reliably informed that downloading them is legal although posting them is currently legal but being reviewed.

Either search for them under abandonware on a search engine or the best one i found was www.theunderdogs.org/ which is definitely worth a look. They have thousands of classic games in alphabetical order and classic games which you thought lost can be recovered.
Tue 25/12/01 at 21:05
Regular
remember a classic game that you no longer have....want it back?

Well i was searching the net a few months ago and found a load of "abandonware" games. These are games which have ben out of production for more than 3 or 5 years and can therefore be download. This provides loads of old classic games which you can no longer buy and i am reliably informed that downloading them is legal although posting them is currently legal but being reviewed.

Either search for them under abandonware on a search engine or the best one i found was www.theunderdogs.org/ which is definitely worth a look. They have thousands of classic games in alphabetical order and classic games which you thought lost can be recovered.
Wed 26/12/01 at 15:14
Regular
i thought abandonware meant the game could never be completed....
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:43
Regular
no its games which have not been on general release for a while and some dodgy copyright law kicks in to allow nonprofit making use.
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:36
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Has it got Paperboy?
Thu 03/01/02 at 11:56
Regular
I tink so just go and have a look its pretty easy to find things there
Fri 29/03/02 at 17:57
Regular
downloaded some more quality old games
Mon 01/04/02 at 19:54
Ive been collecting abandonware for years now but more and more come on all the time i downloaded DOOM 2 just a few weeks ago.

Now that was a classic game especially running it on the DOOM 95 mod which gives you better graphics and a windows based GUI (Just slightly mind you)

That sites a good one, good find :-)
Thu 04/04/02 at 02:54
Regular
"95% organic"
There do seem to be alot of retro games available online, although i'm really not sure it's legal. But, apparently, according to a friend of a friend, if you were to own a dreamcast, you can download and burn cdi emulators for the SNES, Megadrive, NES, Master System, Game Boy, C64, Spectrum, Colecovision and all the games for those systems for free. If this is legal, i highly recommend everyone buys a dreamcast while they're still around, simply because it enables a glorious retrospective of 20 years of gaming genius... on your dreamcast, slouched in the sofa in a reminiscent haze of nostalgia.

If it's not legal, i suggest you don't do it. The gaming industry deserves what it is owed.
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:10
Regular
Tyranitar Master wrote:
> Ive been collecting abandonware for years now but more and more come on all the
> time i downloaded DOOM 2 just a few weeks ago.

Now that was a classic game
> especially running it on the DOOM 95 mod which gives you better graphics and a
> windows based GUI (Just slightly mind you)

That sites a good one, good find
> :-)

Doom 2? I saw that available to buy in Electronics Boutique the other day!
Sun 14/04/02 at 17:43
Regular
the posting of abandonware is legal. the posting of emulators for downloading is not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.