GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unannounced web server changes grumble"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/07/07 at 21:14
Regular
I am really irritated that Freeola make changes to web server configurations without letting users know - either before or after the event. Some months ago there was the change which stopped PHP programs running until you changed your folder/file permissions. And just recently the change affecting calls by reference, which again stopped PHP programs working that had previously worked fine for many months.

I understand that Freeola may sometimes need to make changes for e.g. security reasons (though I can't see any logical reason for the reference call change), but surely they plan these changes and don't just make them on a whim overnight. There is an email address associated with every website, so why don't they send out an advance warning (at least 1 month before) and again after the change has been effected? Then we could plan to make the necessary changes at a convenient time.

As it is, I was left to find out by accident. After the first change, I got a few emails from users complaining that the site didn't work anymore. In the second case, it was just luck that I happened to test the site just before going away on holliday - so I had to scramble to make corrections to my code when I was already really busy. I know it's a free service, but this is just treating users with contempt.

Also the so-called Help about the reference call change was pitiful - it suggested you could change the php.ini file, but I (and probably most users) don't have a specific ini file, and to create one we need to copy the existing default Freeola php.ini file - but how do we do that? Not a clue.

And the change itself seems very odd - if a function is defined having a call-by-reference argument [e.g. foo(&$xyz) ] then previously it could be called either implicitly as foo($abc) or explicitly as foo(&$abc) - but now the 2nd call type doesn't work (although it matches the function definition!). It's not a case of disabling call-by-reference, just disabling the form of calling that makes the reference explicit! Weird.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 09/07/07 at 11:00
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hi alanb,

If you didn't receive any prior notification, it might be worth checking that your MyFreeola e-mail address is vaild and up-to-date as this is the address we normally use to contact users.

Also, if you have Hotmail or use any other e-mail service with an overly agressive spam filter, it may help to whitelist e-mails from freeola.co.uk and .com addresses to ensure that notifications get through in future.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.