GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Dies from Nerves*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/03 at 21:37
Regular
Yucky yucky yucky yucky.
I hate it.
I hate it.
I hate it.

English - 'Speaking and Listening'.

TOMORROW

What a load of crap. I hate it.
All nervous and horrible.

"Talk for 2 minutes on something you feel strongly about"
Crap.
I couldn't care less about pretty much everything.

So I did this:

The most common fear among people is not one of spiders or heights but of speaking in public.

Surely people should not be forced into doing something they don’t want to; you wouldn’t allow a spider to crawl across your face or to be dangled off the top of a skyscraper.
It goes against all our rights as people - we should not be told to do something we feel uncomfortable or even scared to do. So why then are we required to do a presentation, speech or role-play in front of the whole class if this very thing is the source of many people’s fears?

They may say that public speaking is a skill that needs to be tested and improved. True or not I have no desire to speak in front of any group of people on any subject for any length of time because it makes me nervous and uncomfortable.

If anyone actually wanted to speak or act in front of anyone then they should have chosen Drama as one of their options. Why, if this is an option in one part of the school so that people can choose not to if they don’t want to, is it a compulsory part in another area? Why is the same thing covered in two different subjects?
The speaking and listening part of the English course doesn’t really seem to serve any purpose at all.

In my experience no-one really enjoys doing presentations in English lessons. Nor are these tasks treated seriously. Instead, the lessons provided for working our what to do and practising are more frequently used for chatting and mucking about. The general opinion seems to be that speaking and listening task are not important.
The time wasted could be used more constructively for improving coursework or revising for the final, crucial exam.

Speaking and listening is just something that is put in the course to try and make English seem more interesting. All it does is waste time, effort and puts us under large amounts of stress for an unimportant piece of work making up a negligible percentage of the final mark.

In conclusion - I have just wasted 2 minutes of my life.

I hate it hate it hate it.
Lemme go home!

Meh. *Dies*
FFF
Wed 12/03/03 at 19:07
"period drama"
I dunno.
She just had that kind of look on her face. And she was mumbling somthing afterwards.
But she's OK.

In my 'Progress Review' as they're called this year she said my work is fantastic and it makes her feel that teaching is the best job in the world.
So that ought to cover me.
Wed 12/03/03 at 19:07
"period drama"
I dunno.
She just had that kind of look on her face. And she was mumbling somthing afterwards.
But she's OK.

In my 'Progress Review' as they're called this year she said my work is fantastic and it makes her feel that teaching is the best job in the world.
So that ought to cover me.
Wed 12/03/03 at 18:39
why do you think that she was not impressed...
glad it went ok...
Wed 12/03/03 at 18:19
"period drama"
Huzzah!
Done, not too bad I suppose.

Got some laughs, but the teacher didn't look too impressed. Smelly cow.
Wed 12/03/03 at 17:35
I hate speaking to a large groupe of people or doing any kind of presintation of any kind...
I start to feel sick and horrible...
Wed 12/03/03 at 10:01
"For the horde!!!!"
I have done them many times but when I was on my GNVQ cource I just walked in the class as normal and the teacher was giving out numbers on bits of paper to everyone, they were the order which people had to read what information they had found out about diffrent companies in my area and I didn't even know we had to do that so you can imagion my horror when i'm holding a piece of paper with the number 6 on it and I had no information what so ever with me.
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:37
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Good, if slightly odd, analogy.
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:36
"Darkness, always"
Public speaking is like putting on a cold pair of boxer shorts.

At first, it can be very uncomfortable, but soon, it's not as bad and eventually, you can't even tell that they're there.

capíche?
Wed 12/03/03 at 09:13
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
All this fuss about public speaking. I sympathize with all of you, but I really have no problem with it, can't get enough of it in fact.
Wed 12/03/03 at 00:53
Regular
"cachoo"
I remember the speaking and listening one. It was boring. Just had to keep pure eye contact and sound very confident and *know* what you're talking about. I had to talk about my work experience.. completely sucked. Got a great grade though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.