GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To be continued? Cobblers"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/07/06 at 22:40
Regular
"Braaains"
There's a disturbing trend that seems to be cropping up in games these days, that of having the game just finish with no real resolution. Halo 2, for example, just finishes with the promise of more to come. The latest Tomb Raider, too, just stops mid-way through the story, with a blatant cue for a sequel. Which is pretty damn infurating, because having paid full whack for both of these games, I felt distinctly ripped off. So why is it that games makers somehow think this is acceptable?

Granted, some TV series feature cliffhangers at the end of the season, but then again you're not paying much for them. And I count on the fingers of one hand the number of films that have ever ended in a cliffhanger. But it's not even the case that games are guaranteed sequels, and it's pretty presumptuous of games companies to assume that. Halo 3's definitely on its way, but there's no guarantee there'll be another Tomb Raider game any time soon. Shoot-em-up XIII ended in a cliff-hanger, and there was never a sequel produced to that. And as for Shenmue II? No matter how much hardcore Shenmue fans swear blind a sequel will be produced, it's pretty damn unlikely. The guy behind the game actually envisioned a series of five games. Oh dear.

When I pay for a game, I expect to get a proper ending, not just a 'to be continued.' It's not like I've forked out a few quid for a cinema ticket - games cost upwards of twenty quid, and for that kind of cash you've got the right not to expect it to just stop. In fact, any such non-ending puts me right off buying the sequel. Hopefully other gamers will feel so disenfranchised and think twice before spending their cash next time.
Mon 17/07/06 at 21:52
Regular
"Mooching around"
Will do
Mon 17/07/06 at 12:02
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Have you tried youtube? Might have the english version there
Mon 17/07/06 at 11:21
Regular
"Mooching around"
As it turns out, I can't understand Japanese :\
Mon 17/07/06 at 10:43
Regular
"Mooching around"
Kawada wrote:
> You could probably download it from somewhere

*searches LimeWire*
Mon 17/07/06 at 10:33
"possibly impossible"
Shenmue - with its uncertain future, they decided to create a long story told in seperate games. We got about 10% through it before they stopped.

Now with Sega doing well on the 360, hopefully they'll think about continuing as some sort of online experience thing (which is what they were planning eventually anyway, I believe).

But some games do get away with it, Halo 2 got its fair share of complaints for ending the way it did, but it certainly builds up expectation for Halo 3...
Sun 16/07/06 at 21:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
You could probably download it from somewhere
Sun 16/07/06 at 21:28
Regular
"Mooching around"
I still hate the fact that I can't be bothered to get 100% completion on FFX-2, and thus, will never see the "true" ending.
Sun 16/07/06 at 16:47
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I hate it. There's no feeling of completion when it happens.

Max Payne is an offender. At the end of the second game, it says something like "Max Payne's journey into the night will continue...". That was nearly three years ago and I see no concrete evidence of a third game yet.

Such a shame, because I love the Max Payne games.
Sun 16/07/06 at 00:07
Regular
"8==="
The Halo movie has Bungie people working on it, Jackson's effects studio's working on it and they (Bungie and MS) have maintained as much control over it as possible.

On paper it's looking good.
Sat 15/07/06 at 19:59
Regular
"lets go back"
Im more bothered about it happening in a film because the main part of the entertainment of a game is actually playing it, but either way it is a bit annoying when they have made a rubish story that is obviously only intended as a platfrom for a sequel.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.