GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's Been Emotional"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 20:54
Regular
How much emotion is put into games nowadays - and how much emotion do the games that you play make you feel? Are games really meeting your expectations? Has a storyline in a game ever been so intense, so gripping that perhaps you've let the odd tear slip down your face? Perhaps not, but how emotional are games - it's a simple question...isn't it?

I think the original Shenmue game was a very emotional title, because behind those pretty shambolic voice overs, there was meaning behind everything - this was one man's dream, that, with the help of his team, become one of the best games of all time - it had a gripping story, although there were some very mundane elements to the game, it still stands out as an emotional title for me.

Now, the PS2, isn't that supposed to have an emotion engine? What's all that about then!? Really, I don't understand this one little bit, but maybe someone could clarify; is it just a graphics chip that's been glorified with a name that makes it seem more advanced? Chutney?

Ahem, I think story writers should take more care in their lines in the games, and maybe there'd be a bit more emotion - I mean we've all been frustrated with a game to the point of throwing the control pad against the screen (Sonic Adventure dashes to mind), but I want to feel angry because of an opposing character, I think the more the game developer can make the character relate to the audience, the more of an emotional rollercoaster they can take you on, and in most cases this makes for a better game.

Thanks for reading, I've not said that much, but it's been difficult to write - what are your thoughts?
Mon 24/12/01 at 09:33
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
I have not played many emotional games unfortunately, but there are those 1 or 2 that have made me shed a tear or two.

a) Metal Gear Solid
When I played this through the first time, I was expecting solid shooting - which I got, up until the very end of the game, where Liquid Snake is defeated and everything is revealed. There really is a long segment in the ending where they talk about life and the meaning of it - which did really get me thinking and it goes down as being the best ending for a game I have ever seen - but I haven't completed any Final Fantasy's yet!

b) Final Fantasy
All of the Final Fantasy games have emotional storylines, making the character emotional, but this never tends to reflect onto the player. The FF games always seem to have a controversial or emotional segment just before a big boss battle. Following the battle (if you're successful), there's a 10 minute+ long sequence explaining it!
Mon 24/12/01 at 09:11
Shenmue was amazing. It had a great story and the gameplay made you feel like you were the game. I can remember playing the game and saying,"Oh no I gotta get home or I'll be in trouble tommorrow." Talking about getting back to the dojo.

It's great that games can now make you feel like that.
Sun 23/12/01 at 15:48
Regular
i havent really felt emotion with a game yet.
maybe DMC will be that game?
Sun 23/12/01 at 15:44
Dark Saviour is emotional, so is Enemy Zero, but they're Saturn games.

Not that it matters.
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:40
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I hate them all too. Go spank.

Okay.

*spank*

Ouch.

Stupid Angel fell on my head.
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:38
Regular
I hate them all too. Go spank.
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
Uncle Crumpet wrote:
> Yup!

Sorry to keep bugging you mate, but if you don't like my story in the Stories forum (there's 2 at the top, and it's the one that isn't called Freedom) then I will personally spank myself with a branch of our Xmas tree.
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:28
Yup!
Sat 22/12/01 at 21:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The "emotion engine" is just the name of the PS2's processor. The GC's processor is called the "Gecko" and my PC's is called the "Pentium"...

more spin from sony!

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 21:41
Regular
"I like cheese"
Uncle Crumpet wrote:
> Cool, I guess that's why so many people liked it - but you know what I mean,
> there aren't that many top games like these that utilise such emotional
> power.

>Know what I mean?

Yeah, I mean, shooters like Perfect Dar and Goldeneye are great, but due to the lack of emotion, they just don't live up to MGS for gaming enjoyment, in my opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.