GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Want Blu-ray AND HD-DVD to Fail"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/07 at 08:19
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Interesting article on Gamesindustry.biz

Basically the author is suggesting that Microsoft are using the long drawn out battle between HD-DVD and Blu-ray to ensure that consumers get so fed up that they switch to electronic distribution instead of blowing money on a physical format that might not be around very long. And Microsoft just happen to be geard up for electronic distribution (XBox Live Marketplace).

The only flaw in this argument is that I suspect Sony are pretty much geared up for electronic distribution as well, so even should consumers turn to electronic downloads Sony are still in business.

Even should Blu-ray win (which is looking more and more likely - it only really needs Universal, the only Hollywood studio still supporting HD-DVD to join them) Microsoft are quite capable of popping a Blu-ray player into the next generation of XBox so it's no skin off their nose.

But if electronic distribution of movies and games takes off as big as music has, where does that leave the likes of Virgin Megastores, Blockbuster and our local indies? It's surprising that CDs have lasted as long as they have, but thinking about it I don't think my 14 year old niece has ever bought a CD in her life and she's really into music (via her i-pod).

Interesting times.
Fri 06/07/07 at 08:19
Regular
Interesting article on Gamesindustry.biz

Basically the author is suggesting that Microsoft are using the long drawn out battle between HD-DVD and Blu-ray to ensure that consumers get so fed up that they switch to electronic distribution instead of blowing money on a physical format that might not be around very long. And Microsoft just happen to be geard up for electronic distribution (XBox Live Marketplace).

The only flaw in this argument is that I suspect Sony are pretty much geared up for electronic distribution as well, so even should consumers turn to electronic downloads Sony are still in business.

Even should Blu-ray win (which is looking more and more likely - it only really needs Universal, the only Hollywood studio still supporting HD-DVD to join them) Microsoft are quite capable of popping a Blu-ray player into the next generation of XBox so it's no skin off their nose.

But if electronic distribution of movies and games takes off as big as music has, where does that leave the likes of Virgin Megastores, Blockbuster and our local indies? It's surprising that CDs have lasted as long as they have, but thinking about it I don't think my 14 year old niece has ever bought a CD in her life and she's really into music (via her i-pod).

Interesting times.
Fri 06/07/07 at 08:26
"possibly impossible"
Yeah, read that a few days ago on Joystiq too, but then lost the link before I could post it here.

It's an interesting viewpoint, admittedly with no supporting evidence of any substance, but I could see it being true. Microsoft have worked hard to push downloadable and streaming digital content in the US and I'm sure it will turn up here before long, once they've worked out all the rights issues and get support from British media companies.

It would certainly be of use to anyone in a flat or listed building, unable to get freeview or Sky.

I'm sure now, the way it's going, that Blu-ray will finally be the winner in the current format war. It would be a first for Sony backing a digital media format that actually takes off and becomes dominant!
Fri 06/07/07 at 10:56
Regular
Yeah, I read that peice too. I think it's quite possible, to be honest. Regarding your point about Sony being able to offer digital downloads - will they want to after the millions they've poured into Blu-Ray?

I'm quite happy to not have a physical piece of media, but my other half likes to have something to actually show for her money, in the physical sense, as a lot of people do.

However, I don't think that will be the biggest hurdle downloadable content has to overcome. I think that will be broadband speeds and size of storage.

How long would it take to download a 25GB HD-DVD? At a constant d/l speed of 200Kb/s, it would take an 1 hour 20 mins to download 1 Gig. Multiply that by 25 and it's going to take well over a day.

I don't know how far ahead the US is with things like Media PCs, but how many people over here have the facility to download HD films and watch them on anything other than a PC?

If the idea is to download them to consoles, then they'll need to come with bigger HDD. 120GB in the X360 Elite? Please...
Fri 06/07/07 at 11:50
Regular
"lets go back"
Its a bit of a far fetched story in my eyes. As YH said, many people like the physical media to show something for their money, but also its easier to use.

You can go and get a disk from the high street and pop it in your player. Its that simple. To many people the idea of downloading films adds too many complicated steps. I suspect that it will take off in the future, but not soon enough to make Blu-ray and HD-DVD pointless.
Fri 06/07/07 at 11:52
"possibly impossible"
We're a bit behind in Broadband speeds, though BT have promised to eventually change all copper wire connections to Fibre Optic now.

Yeah, its still too early to really get HD downloads going, especially here (though when did the UK matter?), all of which points to Blu-ray being all the more succesful.
Fri 06/07/07 at 11:59
Regular
"8==="
Your Honour wrote:
> Yeah, I read that peice too. I think it's quite possible, to be
> honest. Regarding your point about Sony being able to offer
> digital downloads - will they want to after the millions they've
> poured into Blu-Ray?

They might not want to but they're going to have to considering TV channels are offering various downloads + streaming of shows from their sites and MS are continually pushing downloadable media including the tv and movies part which will be coming to european 360s by the end of the year.

Also, funnily enough, I think people are more used to not having a physical piece of media for a movie/show due to piracy.
Fri 06/07/07 at 12:32
Regular
I think it's different with a TV show. Things like Lost or 24 we'd watch on Sky (if we had it) - no physical media. So downloading it and watching it is no different.

Kids today (how old does that make me feel?) who have never bought a cd and only download music, either legally or not, know no different, and as they get old they will be more happy to download entire games and films.

There are still a lot of people my age who don't like to download stuff.
Fri 06/07/07 at 13:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Its a bit of a fanboy article in my opinion. HD-DVD appears to have lost and somebody comes out with "oh Microsoft werent interested in it anyway". Microsoft helped create HD-DVD, the software side of it was developed by them and Toshiba. So to try to make out they are some disinterested third party who dont really care who wins is a bit far fetched to me. And 11.5 million Xbox 360s split between 2 models, one that has no HD and the other a miserly 20 gig. Not the model choices of a company that was going to favour digital distribution in my opinion.

Although we dont get to see much of it in the UK, game and film distribution via the internet has been around several years now. I dont think theres much sign it'll replace physical formats anyway. And comparisons with music arent apt because consumer habits are different. Digital music was driven by portability and that wont be as big a factor for movies (or games) I believe.
Fri 06/07/07 at 16:14
Regular
"lets go back"
Hedfix wrote:

>
> Also, funnily enough, I think people are more used to not having
> a physical piece of media for a movie/show due to piracy.

Yeah, but when I'm paying money I want an actual disc. I cant accidentally delete my DVD collection, but I could accidentally delete a file on my computer after paying £20 for it.
Fri 06/07/07 at 16:45
Regular
Geffdof wrote:
> Yeah, but when I'm paying money I want an actual disc. I cant
> accidentally delete my DVD collection, but I could accidentally
> delete a file on my computer after paying £20 for it.

On the other hand, with the ability to download content that you've paid for previously free of charge if you lose it, (which most online services do, like Apple and Live), look at it this way:

You can accidentally delete your physical DVD collection (housefire, maybe) and you'd have to make an insurance claim to replace it, if you wipe a HDD by accident and lose your virtual collection you just have the inconvenience of the time it takes to download again, no loss of no claims bonus.

I can understand the touchy-feely sentiment though. Virtual beer will never take off in a big way. (Not yet, anyway).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.