GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Music in games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 18:03
Regular
Developers don't put as much attention into music as they do into, say graphics. Its a well known fact. But we all know that if the music in a game is rubbish, then it shows very much. Which is why its a shame that only big name developers seriously think about music. Like Konami with Metal Gear Solid, and Squaresoft with Final Fantasy. In fact, I think that Nobuo Uematsu, the man who writes Final Fantasy music is one of the best composers of all time. The music fits in perfectly with the game, and is one of those absorbing factors.

I am really saddened when I see developers putting minimal effort into video-game music. Tony Hawk's 3 has a bumpin' soundtrack, but there is pretty much no effort gone into it; give artist money, get artist's music. The reason for this is that if a developer tries for good music, they often fail.

The most recent example of this is in Airblade. It was a great game, and with the music of Tony Hawk it would be better, but with those god-awful rap 'tunes' it really does make for a bad time.

Innovation in music and sound is really called for in games. Music is probably one of the subconcious factors that makes the player stay hooked, ff music was great and one of the many things which is appealing about ff.

Real innovation in music is evident in SSX Tricky. While it is still from an artist, DJ Rahzel and Run DMC manage to make some really good music, and it is not just tracks, its interactive music. That is a great thing, and something which all games should use if they want decent music

So developers should pay attention to music, it IS something which can make a game better and often can earn a bit more dosh (do I hear the words 'extortionately priced soundtracks'?)

I'll leave you with a thought which I read a while ago in Edge magazine...

Imagine a game where for the first 10 minutes it is pitch black, and you have to use your ears to find where to go and where your enemies are.

Think on the potential for music and sound, don't you love surround sound?
Fri 21/12/01 at 20:13
Regular
"I like cheese"
My Banter topics have twice mentioned the AirBlade music.

"Everybody Flip-Flop-Flip-Flop-FLY!!" Very annoying, repetitive, and brings down which is ultimately a good game (albeit a little shallow and frustrating in places.)

One of the main reasons I love MGS so much was the brilliant soundtrack. It always fitted the mood of the game-when you were sneaking around it was dark and menacing. When you were near Pyscho Mantis, strange, some would say trancelike music was heard. You get found, the alarm sounds and the music is fast and loud.

In the emotional parts of the game (ie Sniper Wolf dying,) the music was so intense and perfect, I came up with goosebumps all over my arms, and the same for the part where you first saw Ninja.

The soundtrack is a very important part of games, especially atmospheric adventure games such as Metal Gear Solid. If only more developers would realise this.
Fri 21/12/01 at 19:22
Regular
So can tennis, and that's just as bad. :0)

But still, simple can be really excellent, like Pokemon, and can make a lot of money, but there are good ideas, and then there are things that must be made.
Fri 21/12/01 at 19:17
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I think we've evolved as gamers since Pac-Man. I don't think we can longer
> accept Pac-Man as a game that could possibly entertain us for more than a few
> minutes.

Although, to be fair, Tetris is a simpler game than PacMan, and can keep me entertained for hours! :)
Fri 21/12/01 at 19:12
Regular
It shouldn't be music or game... it should just be game. Just like gameplay, graphics, controls... should all merge together just to make this cool experience. Labelling them as single things makes it difficult to enjoy as a whole.
Fri 21/12/01 at 19:06
Music in games normally take second place because people are not too interested in the music but rather the game.

Developers should take a bit a time and consider whether the music is suited to the game, a can't count the amount of time that the music dosen't suit the style of game.

Some games do have cool music take Jet set radio for instance.

Some RPG have great atmospheric music too, but on the whole not a lot of effot goes into producing great music because it doesn't sell a game but just enhances the gameplay.
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:51
Regular
Ah yes, perfect example, Shenmue. The music in that can be used excellently in some parts, and really badly in others.

Walking through the town? Pathetic irritating music repeated over and over.

Small cut scene? Emotional music that sums up everything you see, without overpowering it.
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:49
Regular
I think we've evolved as gamers since Pac-Man. I don't think we can longer accept Pac-Man as a game that could possibly entertain us for more than a few minutes.

Never liked Pac-Man anyway. Games are designed to be longer, and more enjoyable. Look at films.

No, I'm not talking about colour... but remember the first films? A few minutes long of things happening. They were great for the time, but would you pay a fiver to go and watch a train pull into a station now?

Exactly the same with games. Simple things, just to pass the time. Now they're more complex, much more accepted as artforms, and can actually be much better than films and books in some cases.

Music CAN be overused... and can also be underused. Striking the balance to create enough atmosphere without being lazy is the key to the perfect balance.
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:29
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Pac-Man never had music.

The first lesson you'll learn in Economics class (I should know I did it for a month as an A Level) is not to waste money. Justify paying Macy Gray X amount, when someone will go 'Options', 'Shut Up'. E.g. I like Tony Hawk's and skateboarding, but I don't like punk music, so off it goes.
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:26
Regular
That's something I want to change when I get into games. Hopefully.

Music is very important to games, and should be used more often. There's little better than a good story well told, but a good story well told with some excellent music far surpasses it.
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, but in the games industry it's all about the money. Companies haven't got the money to make a soundtrack as good as a game - it just wouldn't make economic sense. What if the game turns out pants but the soundtrack rocks. No one would buy it just for the soundtrack. I don't even have the music on Tony Hawk's - it annoys me so I listen to my own choice. (Good point Monkeyman - monkeyman's brain). Why bother if it's just going to get turned off anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.