GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I miss you, Microprose...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/03/03 at 11:34
Regular
Remember Rollercoaster Tycoon I? Microprose's last great game before they were bought out by Infogrames. Then other companies started making the tycoon games, and the quality went down. I remember a time, when I used to sit at my pentium 120, in the early 90s, and play Railroad tycoon. I kept playing it till last year. I also had the deluxe version, Civilisation, Colonisation and many other great games made by Sid Meier, Bruce Shelley and Max 'Maximum' Remington. Then many years and games Micropose was brought by Infogrames, and Monopoly tycoon was average. Sid Meier's Simgolf was quite good. But nothing great. Then others started making tycoon games. In fury, I sacraficed my pet Marmot, Brian, in honour. Oil tycoon was great, but others failed. Railroad Tycoon was made 'under supervision' of Maximum, Shelly and Meier. The great men of MPS labs were now lower. Sid Meier and Microprose are no longer together- a perfect pairing are gone. If Microprose had not been sold......

RIP.

JOIN IN MY POLITICALLY INCORRECT, MARMOT MURDERING RAGE!
Tue 01/04/03 at 15:18
Regular
Best Microprose game ever was the origianl Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix.
Wed 26/03/03 at 19:30
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Did anyone have the original civilisation? Got a bit boring in the end, but it was made by Sid Meier, who I think is the grandaddy of Strategy games.
Wed 26/03/03 at 16:33
Regular
"Yum, Pedigree Chum"
I mean Microprose did games well easy to use and fun to play they'll be sorley missed
Wed 26/03/03 at 11:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It's too bad the whole management genre has been flooded with half ar$ed "tycoon" games, soley made to ride off the success of Rollercoaster Tycoon.
Tue 25/03/03 at 18:49
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The sound was pretty crap in Railroad Tycoon- quirky bleeeping when a train came in. Finally worked out what it was in RRT2- Coins. Sounded like a leaky sink to me in RRT1. Oh well, Classics rule on- I just put my Pentium 120 in storage- gave over 10 years of good service for my classics. Stopped using it when I got a Win '95 in 1996, but that's another story...
Tue 25/03/03 at 11:06
"Darkness, always"
phi11ip wrote:
> Oh, and when you had the PC speakers playng the sound when you were
> sailing it played this evil screeching sound?

I only ever played it on my trusty C64, and it didn't have any sound issues, but otherwise, that's the game =)
Mon 24/03/03 at 19:11
Regular
"oaps.org"
Ashley wrote:
> true so true. The best two Microprose games were: David Leadbetters
> golf, and the best of all way.......Pizza tycoon

No way they hadn't anything good since Gunship 2000
Mon 24/03/03 at 16:28
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I think it makes the same screeching sound in Colonization.
Mon 24/03/03 at 16:16
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Was pirates the one where you would sail around in the funny boat and you'd just be travelling for ages before you found land?

Then you attacked forts which was easy but when you attacked with men you just had a big group of them that ran around as a block and you couldn't do anything?

Oh, and when you had the PC speakers playng the sound when you were sailing it played this evil screeching sound?

Other good games:

Grand Prix
Transport Tycoon (still got the original here!)
Wed 19/03/03 at 13:12
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Der Nazi wrote:
> I've still got Transport Tycoon- Unrealistic, lousy music and
> Graphics- but FUN AND EASY.

agreed. There was nothing quite like making your first million, then investing it undercut your competitiors.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.