GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can there be any new genres?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/09/00 at 19:19
Regular
Has it all been done? Have we used up all of the available permutations?

Noticed how games nowadays just seem to be more of the same but with better graphics and sound? The latest new genre arguably could be the "stealth" element injected notably by Metal Gear Solid on the PSX platform, but this strategy appears in many other games today, the latest being, to some degree, Deus Ex.

What will be the next genre....

If you can think of an idea for a genre that has not already been rehashed into many other games, then you have found a niche, and having the proper backing means you can exploit this niche to the full. What price the copyright on a good genre?

Any other bright ideas? Because I dried up after this one, and anyway, it was attempted back in the 80s on the Spectrum platform, but the name of the game eludes me. You had to use a "modem" to crack a conspiracy that was brewing. Never did get to the end of it, but the genre was novel and perhaps underdeveloped on later platforms.
Thu 11/01/01 at 16:20
"High polygon count"
Maybe combinations of existing genres?

Deus Ex kind of pulled it off, combining stealth with the FPS game, as mentioned elsewhere.

One game I am keeping a close eye on is PS2's Dropship. There's not a lot of info around at the moment regarding the actuall content of this game, but from the video on PSW's cover DVD, it looks awesome.

It appears to me a mix of flight sim and strategy war game - flying the Dropship into the warzone to deploy troops, and then commanding those troops on the ground.

There are also flight-based missions such as taking out bridges, and air-to-air combat etc.

If they get the balance right, this could be one hell of a game. Being a fan of flight-sims and RTS games such as C&C, Ground Control etc., this one really appeals to me. Here's hoping...
Thu 11/01/01 at 15:03
You can already play as only one player on a football team in

Libero Grande

Which is available on the PS1, although the idea could be extended to include some of your management ideas.
Thu 11/01/01 at 12:44
Regular
I think that a new genre we may see on the new consoles and PCs in the future will be the sports games that see you taking on the role of just one player.
Rather than when playing as each member of the team, you'll only be one.

In a football game, you have to impress scouts to go to bigger clubs,make timed runs to score goals, keep fit in training. There could also be some aspects of personal life involved.

Another good sport could be basketball, with you practising your shots to get in form for the big match. You could also sign lucrative sponsorship deals.

Sports like Cricket, or Baseball might be a bit boring as you sit around, waiting for your turn to bat, but there's nop reason why you'd have to wathc these bits, you could just skip to when it'm your turn.

I suppose F1 games are like this already, they just need to add some more personal events into the game between races, and it would be great.
Thu 11/01/01 at 00:29
New Jimmy here, checking for site bugs... does my name look like Alis real reply!

I think it does
Wed 10/01/01 at 22:58
Regular
"not dead"
I thought of one!

See the new game ideas to see it in it's full glory!

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Wed 10/01/01 at 20:40
"possibly impossible"
Mills & Boon sim?

Problem is that most male players will always flick to the middle bit with all the descriptions. nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

Wed 10/01/01 at 20:38
Regular
I could be competely wrong on this but, It seems to me that nowadays games are trying to be much more lifelike. It might sound like a really stupid thing to say but how many games these days are as "out of this world" as say Shadow of the Beast? Not a very good example I know but I'm sure you get the point. Games like The Sims are trying to be realistic, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that there are so many games that try to be life-like aswell, it gets harder and harder to be original. I think that the only way forward is to set games in completely different universes with completely different rules than what we experience in real life!
Wed 10/01/01 at 17:11
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I thik that ext thing will have to be a life sim. Nothing too big like a whole mapped out version of new york but just a town wih one of everything, Post office, car garage, shopping mall, etc.etc I thik that you should take control of a man and be able to do what ever, you could be imprisoned or get saved at a church!

I thikn that a life SIM would be the best idea! (In a competition between that and Ali's idea!)

The Game
Wed 10/01/01 at 16:43
Regular
Skool Daze was my favourite ever School sim, because the whole point was not to learn... possibly.

Anyway, I think Sega are having this sort of discussion all the time... Look at what's coming up! A games company sim, called Segagaga, or something.
Wed 10/01/01 at 15:18
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Yes, Meka, it took me four months to come up with rock climbing sim. But I've been thinking, really that would come under the sports category. I'm still trying to think of something new and original like:

School sim:

Presented with a series of questions, the gamer has to produce the correct answers, then take an exam. Then harder questions in new topics and so on.

As well as being throughly educational, good graphics could make it interesting too.

Oh well, back to the drawing board then.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.