GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Amiga Games, which were your favourite?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/03/03 at 02:45
Regular
for me the golden age of gaming was the amiga. I had hundreds of games for it. many of the games we have today came from that old system. i remember a few in particular :

walker : towards the end of the machines life, a superb side on blaster had you using the joystick to control a 50ft high walker, and the mouse aiming the cannon at idiots with m16s. finally you could be ed-209, and it worked brilliantly!

hired guns : for me the first multiplayer first person shooter. 4 of your mates could duke it out on the same screen (using the keyboard and joysticks), running from room to room lobbing grenades and kicking the crap out of each other.

hunter : massive 3d war game where you controlled one guy, and ran around a 3d polygon map stealing cars, boats, helicopters, tanks, bicycles, hovercrafts and anything. you had to complete missions which usually came second to running people over etc.

midwinter : incredibly atmospheric war game. you played a host of characters (switching between them), and travelled around a massive 3d island, using vehicles, cable-cars and what-not to get about. the goal was attack an invading army at its headquarters. brilliant for its time

north and south : lunacy as you choose a side in the american civil war, and beat your opponent by cutting off his train routes and having huge battles, involving cavalry, infantry and cannons. pure stupidity and a right laugh.

supercars 1 + 2 : birds eye view racing game, similar to micromachines, buy cars, do them up, buy silly weapons like homing missiles, and kill your friends.

syndicate (not wars) : one of my all time favourites. kidnap people, turn them into cyborgs, give them miniguns, and blast rival gangs and innocent people in a blade runner style world. ultra violent. ultra satisfying.

monkey island series : i know you can get it on the PC, but it really was a gem of a series.

silkworm : choose a helicopter or a jeep (or both with a mate), and blow things up in an r-type style side on shoot em up

can't think of any more off hand

call me a nostalgic old git but I thought these games were great.

So, if you had an amiga, what games were you mostly playing?
Wed 18/06/03 at 11:23
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Speedball 2
Populous
Alien Breed
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge

...to name but a few!
Wed 18/06/03 at 11:16
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
yeah i have to say that lemmings was an amazing game
Tue 17/06/03 at 22:28
Regular
"8==="
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> Mad Professor Moriarti? What was that? Im a big Sherlock Holmes fan so
> if it anything to do with him I might go get it.
>
It was a platformer. It had nothing to with Sherlock Holmes, although I see why you thought it might. I never noticed the connection before, I think because 'mad' is in the title aswell.

It'd make a good GBA title.
Tue 17/06/03 at 12:39
"I love yo... lamp."
Hedfix wrote:
> GODS, Lemmings 1+2, Mad Professor Moriarti, World Boxing manager,
> Chuck Rock. I had them on my Acorn though! It nicked all the best
> games off the Amiga and PC. It also whad 50% original games which you
> blighters have probably never played:
>
> Chocks Away 1+2
> Stunt Racer 2000
> Conqueor

Mad Professor Moriarti? What was that? Im a big Sherlock Holmes fan so if it anything to do with him I might go get it.

My fav amiga game I can't actually remember the name of. Was like an amiga version of SOCOM.
Tue 17/06/03 at 12:36
Regular
"8==="
GODS, Lemmings 1+2, Mad Professor Moriarti, World Boxing manager, Chuck Rock. I had them on my Acorn though! It nicked all the best games off the Amiga and PC. It also whad 50% original games which you blighters have probably never played:

Chocks Away 1+2
Stunt Racer 2000
Conqueor
Tue 17/06/03 at 12:30
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
I actually still have my Amiga, and all the games. I just never seem to be able to part with it.
The games that i played on the most were

THE NEW ZEALAND STORY
BUGGY BOY
KARARE KID 2
BARBARIAN
THE CYCLES

there were many more of interest, but it was class!
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:51
Regular
Plasmaball wrote:
> WinUAE is too much of a bother.

no it isn't really, it takes a while to tinker with but once you got the correct set up it works perfectly. i have all those games you mentioned - all for free, plus some other golden greats - turrican 2, stunt car racer, supercars 2 etc etc etc.

Get yourself a joypad and enjoy ....

I still have an A1200 and hundreds of games but can't be assed to pull it all out of the wardrobe.
Sat 12/04/03 at 22:15
Regular
Amiga ruled, one game Kick off 2
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:43
Regular
Hmmm, Amiga eh? Haven’t heard that word in quite some time. Anyway, my 5 fav are probably as follows. Not in any order:

Speedball 2
Cannon Fodder
Zeewolf 2
Syndicate
Gravity Force 2 (A PD game that came on one of the cover disks of Amiga Power. It. Truly. Was. Great)
Thu 03/04/03 at 00:20
Regular
Oh my lord! Amiga fans! Let me join!

I grew up with amiga. What a classic. You are right to say it was the golden age. It was a perfect balance between graphics and gameplay, a balance that so many new games seem to get wrong.

I throw my mind back to all those games i played on the Amiga...

Lemmings. Never ever bettered on any format. Ever.

Cannon Fodder. Hilarious shooting action

North and South. The most amusing war ive ever seen.

It came from the Desert. Gripping storyline about an old B-Movie thriller

Monkey island. Pure pirate rubber chicken wielding comedy.

So many games. SO MANY. I could so easily list hundreds of games here that are equally brilliant, but these 5 stuck out the most. But the best thing was that back then Amiga bettered PC's on power, so all games from that era sparkled on all proud amiga owners. Thanks for the flashback. If i think about it anymore however ill have to go in my attic to dig it out again. WinUAE is too much of a bother.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.