GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do you aim in an FPS?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/12/01 at 00:23
Regular
What's your prefered method of inflicting death in your favourite shoot-em up? For Quake I get the rocket launcher and generally aim either at the gound in front of them or a wall next to them (opponents usually strafe, so a body shot is difficult). This is especially useful on levels with no edges. On Half-Life it has to be the submachine gun. The shotgun is good, but it hasn't got the accuracy I demand. For Unreal Tournament I find the sniper rifle is good. It's really handy when you use a mouse to play - more like a point and click adventure.
Wed 19/12/01 at 00:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
What's your prefered method of inflicting death in your favourite shoot-em up? For Quake I get the rocket launcher and generally aim either at the gound in front of them or a wall next to them (opponents usually strafe, so a body shot is difficult). This is especially useful on levels with no edges. On Half-Life it has to be the submachine gun. The shotgun is good, but it hasn't got the accuracy I demand. For Unreal Tournament I find the sniper rifle is good. It's really handy when you use a mouse to play - more like a point and click adventure.
Wed 19/12/01 at 00:31
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
My extended play of Counter-Strike seems to make me automatically duck when firing now, which is fine is tactical games demanding accuracy, but the same tactic applied in Q3 or UT, something fast paced with weapons liable to leave you in several little pieces, leaves you open to attack as you can't move fast enough.

I tend to aim at the floor with explosive weapons too, learnt the blast radius of each gun. Anything explosive is good (my general rule for life), but I'l always use sniper rifles on some levels - not nescessarily camping, anything with large areas. On CS, the SSG552 is my weapon of choice for the Ts, and the M4A1 as CT - headshots aplenty, little recoil on burst fire. Not many others I play online, but again, I automatically go for headshots whenever using a non-explosive weapon - see another character and the cursor immediately flies to within a few millimetres of their head...
Wed 19/12/01 at 10:54
Regular
"..."
Reaper[oV] wrote:
> My extended play of Counter-Strike seems to make me automatically duck when
> firing now, which is fine is tactical games demanding accuracy...

don't you think just kneeling there on the floor may make you an easy target?...
Wed 19/12/01 at 10:56
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Darkus...

Welcome new staff member... I bow down to your supreme powers!

Sonic
Wed 19/12/01 at 10:58
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
He's been around for ages...only on other forums.

Back to the FPS, I played UT until 2 last night and I've got a feeling it's gonna come before revision today.
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:01
Regular
"..."
been here for a year or so now... Just been hiding in web design land.
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Ah, that explains it... I rarely venture out of FOG or the console specific forums!

If you have any trouble with the newbies, just send them my way ;)

Sonic
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:04
Regular
"..."
no probs ;)
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand!

I absolutely love games or levels wear you have to (or have the option to) use stealth over simple run-in-and-kill tactics!

Like "Bad diplomasy" in Agent Under Fire, only with far more intelligent guards...

can't wait for MGS2

Sonic
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It's annoying when you're being all stealthy-like and some spaz comes running at you with his quad rocket launcher and there's nothing you can do. I tend to stay away from walls as well. Good thing about UT is the anti-grav boots. Save them until someone shoots at you and you look like the six million dollar man, flying away and shooting down.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.