GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The gamecube has finally online.... and it's an outrage!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/03/03 at 20:47
Regular
Finally the Gamecube has gone online,
but have you seen the prices? Phantasy star online 1 and 2 is the first Gamecube online game, hooray! However, in order to feel the true experience of online gaming, you must pay between £30 and £40 for the game, round about £40 for the broadband adapter, round about £30 for a keyboard and then after all this, the company still have the cheek to ask for £5.99 a month to play the game plus you have to pay for the internet line itself. So in my case £13.99 a month for the internet and £5.99 for Phantasy online internet then I still have to buy the adapter, keyboard and game itself. I was really looking forward to this game, but at this price no way! A lot of online games are now asking customers to pay extra to play the game online. Take the Sims Online for example, £35 for the game, and then an extra £5 or £6 a month I think it is. Will this really attract customers? If you buy an online game, then I feel you should only pay to use the internet, after all that is all you are doing. Perhaps in the future, this problem will be sorted. Right now though, I refuse to buy Phantasy Star online for the gamecube. I am also sorry to say, but I pity all those Nintendoids that are actually going to accept this outrage! Please discuss this with me, I would really like to hear your opinions on the subject.
Thank you for taking your time to read this,
Johnny.
Tue 18/03/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
But there are subs for some Xbox games as well as the £40 a year charge... aren't there?
Tue 18/03/03 at 11:29
"slightlyshortertagl"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> But there are subs for some Xbox games

Those are for the optional downloads.
Tue 18/03/03 at 11:58
Regular
Sega will actually be charging the same £6 monthly fee to play Phantasy Star Online on Xbox live.

I'm sure a lot of other games will adopt this procedure as well.
Tue 18/03/03 at 13:20
Regular
"stop staring, creep"
Anyone ever played ultima online? or heard of it?
Wed 19/03/03 at 09:48
Regular
Pay 2 Play.

Once everyone has a broadband connection (if it ever happens), and even once the prices for everything comes down, will people still be prepared to buy the game + pay X amount extra to play it online? Even for say £5 - how many people would pay that on top of the game's original price (typically £35-£45).
Wed 19/03/03 at 09:53
Regular
"DS..."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Datel are releasing a keyboard at the end of the month that'll cost
> £10, so again, no real cost there.
>

£10? are you sure? i know that there one being released on the 28th of this month but i'm sure that it's £20...

slik ~_~
Wed 19/03/03 at 09:55
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Either way, you'll be spending nearly £100 to go online overall for the GC. Nice and cheap isn't it?

*rolls eyes*
Wed 19/03/03 at 10:20
"slightlyshortertagl"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Either way, you'll be spending nearly £100 to go online overall
> for the GC. Nice and cheap isn't it?

And only one game has been confirmed.
Wed 19/03/03 at 17:50
Regular
Lets see then, shall we..

£49.99 = Phantasy Star Online + Broadband Adapter + Free First Month
£5.99 per month = Server charge.

So for your first year, you're paying £115.88 - and for the second onwards it's £71.88. It's not a diabolical price - you'll find most MMORPGs will be just as, if not more expensive than this. I think it's quite a good deal, actually.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:28
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
PSO isn't an MMORPG though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.