GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The gamecube has finally online.... and it's an outrage!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/03/03 at 20:47
Regular
Finally the Gamecube has gone online,
but have you seen the prices? Phantasy star online 1 and 2 is the first Gamecube online game, hooray! However, in order to feel the true experience of online gaming, you must pay between £30 and £40 for the game, round about £40 for the broadband adapter, round about £30 for a keyboard and then after all this, the company still have the cheek to ask for £5.99 a month to play the game plus you have to pay for the internet line itself. So in my case £13.99 a month for the internet and £5.99 for Phantasy online internet then I still have to buy the adapter, keyboard and game itself. I was really looking forward to this game, but at this price no way! A lot of online games are now asking customers to pay extra to play the game online. Take the Sims Online for example, £35 for the game, and then an extra £5 or £6 a month I think it is. Will this really attract customers? If you buy an online game, then I feel you should only pay to use the internet, after all that is all you are doing. Perhaps in the future, this problem will be sorted. Right now though, I refuse to buy Phantasy Star online for the gamecube. I am also sorry to say, but I pity all those Nintendoids that are actually going to accept this outrage! Please discuss this with me, I would really like to hear your opinions on the subject.
Thank you for taking your time to read this,
Johnny.
Wed 19/03/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Well if you can't afford it, don't play. That simple. Again, as I said elsewhere, you wouldn't give me a soap box to complain that I have to continue driving my Golf as Bentleys are so damn expensive.
Wed 19/03/03 at 20:00
Regular
"^_^"
Well said and it's very true. But the thing is, it is still another bloody fee that will have to go from my account that I will not be able to afford.
Wed 19/03/03 at 19:34
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
*BANGS HEAD AGAINST DESK*

There are huge costs in running the serves that are needed to have PSO/The Sims/whatever exist on-line. You have to pay for this. The phone charge goes to the tel-co, the cash you hand over for the game covers its development, the monthly charge covers the running of the necessary private servers. Half-Life (and the like) didn't need these as people could host the game on their PC, you can't do that with a console title (and it isn't desirable). This is also why you got such a variation in the quality of servers. The £5 fee gives you a guarantee of a stable, reliable server with tech support.

I should just copy and paste this from another thread where this has alreay been done...
Wed 19/03/03 at 19:11
Regular
That's the same with Maxis, to play the Sims online, online you have to pay for a subcription.
Wed 19/03/03 at 19:10
I think that the company is being a bit cheeky here, i understand paying for the internet line monthly, every one has to do that, but paying an extra £5 just to use it, that is just wrong...
Wed 19/03/03 at 19:05
Regular
So do I.
Wed 19/03/03 at 19:04
Regular
Parr wrote:
> PSO is crap anyway.

I agree completely.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:53
Regular
"^_^"
PSO is crap anyway. I had it for dreamcast and found it was utter pants so I am deffinately not going to pay that much for it. I will go online with my Gamecube. But I will wait for some decent games to go online first.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:47
Regular
Fair enough.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:46
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Opps, hit "post" by accident while in midflow. Well, about to end anyway, but missing this bit...

An MMORPG does not create levels for players, it takes part in a world that always exists - it has a timeline that isn't dependant on its participants.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.