GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Frustration in Gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 17:12
Regular
Quite some time ago I posted a topic about frustration making games actually better in FOG chat but I only skimmed the surface, so this is a re-make of that topic, but, hopefully going into much more detail.

Many games that are made, for all consoles, can be very frustrating and annoying, but can we class this as a bad thing in gaming?

It all depends on 3 things; 1, how fun the game is to play, 2, how hard the game actually is, and 3, if you’re a Hardcore/Softcore gamer. All these three things come with problems though.

If you get a game, which is frustrating, to play it until you complete the game it has to be a fun game to play, this means good playability. You know when a game is fun because you keep playing on it, no matter how frustrating it may be, until you complete it. At some points, if you’ve been playing for a while, you may give up and turn it off, bit in about ½ hour you come back and play it some more. Some classic examples of this is Gran Turismo (1, 2 and 3) for PSOne/PS2 and Goleneye 007 for the Nintendo 64.

Proof of this on the GT series are the Endurance Racers. Quite a few people have done all of the Endurance Racers no matter how frustrating they may be. Endurance Racers ware down your tyres and the steering starts to get dodgy, this can really annoy you, buy even though this has happened you still play because it is so fun.

On Goldeneye 007 there are LOADS of really hard missions that could take you a week to do, but that’s exactly the thing, you will actually play it for weeks until completion. If you are dedicated enough you will open two new levels, which are just as hard, this is one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever played, but then again one of the most fun games I’ve ever played as well.

A big problem with many frustrating games is the difficulty level. Some frustrating games are FAR too frustrating, even if the game is very fun the whole game can be let by this element of frustration. Bomberman Tournament is a very frustrating game. On quest mode there are puzzles that aren’t just hard, they aren’t fun, they’re just plain annoying. The multiplayer in the game is great, so it’s a real shame that it’s let down so much by this.

One key element of frustrating gaming is whether you’re a Hardcore/Softcore gamer. If you’re a Softcore gamer, games with a lot of frustration in them won’t appeal to you. Softcore gamers may up these kind of games, even if they are fun and easy to play, if they are frustrating they will put them down never to be played again.

If you are a Hardcore gamer you can play some really frustrating games like the GT series until you complete then, some racers may be very hard, some levels may be very hard, but being a Hardcore gamer you won’t stop until you complete it.

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:16
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> There was something on the Megadrive that drove me utterly insane... but I can't
> remember what it was. :0)

Oh, that one!

Yeah, that was a b****r, wasn't it, especially the bit where you had to use the wotsit on the thingamijig to open the whojamaflip.

Fri 21/12/01 at 08:55
I thought that Mario Kart was fairly easy until one of my friends would unplugg my controllerand I wouldn't figure out what was going on until the fling cloud would come fish me out of the water.
Wed 19/12/01 at 22:12
Regular
There was something on the Megadrive that drove me utterly insane... but I can't remember what it was. :0)
Wed 19/12/01 at 22:09
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Jonman wrote:
Two words for
> you....
>Mario....Kart.....
One of the the most frustrating games ever
> confined to code. And yet, one of the most addictive.
The number of times I
> nearly put my fist through that innocent looking grey SNES......

Id have to agree that Mario Kart is definitly one of the most addicitve games ever written...

But I dunno about frustrating... I did mostly play against other people... I never really got all that frustrated?
Wed 19/12/01 at 16:11
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> I think a game should be challenging... but should never be
> frustrating...

Two words for you....

Mario....Kart.....

One of the the most frustrating games ever confined to code. And yet, one of the most addictive.

The number of times I nearly put my fist through that innocent looking grey SNES......
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:14
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
RiCkOsS wrote:
But sometimes aren't frustrating games good?
> When you're playing you think to yourself that a 'Console' can beat you.
>

This sometimes gives determination, which makes you play the game even
> longer, so frustration is sometimes good.

This is what I mean by challenging...

ou shouldnt be able to walkthrough the game without some sort of challenge...

But a frustrating game is never good...

Why would you want to play a game that annoys you?
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:37
Regular
oooops, sorry about that. :(
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:37
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> I think a game should be challenging... but should never be
> frustrating...

But sometimes aren't frustrating games good? When you're playing you think to yourself that a 'Console' can beat you.

This sometimes gives determination, which makes you play the game even longer, so frustration is sometimes good.
Tue 18/12/01 at 09:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I think a game should be challenging... but should never be frustrating...

Its a problem with a lot of titles over the past few years have tried to address...

With variable success...

And is one of the reasons why games seem so much shorter therese days...

Its not that games used to be longer... just that they used to be tougher... harder puzzels... boss characters... jumps... etc...

Developers discovered that whilst a lot of 'gamers' enjoyed this... many casual players just got bored and played something else instead... ???

I reckon its once of the biggest challenges facing game designers today... ???
Mon 17/12/01 at 21:28
Regular
If the game is hard to do you, but you do it eventually, you can get frustrated, this is good frustration as the game has the power to change your mood, but in the frustration you know you can do it.

But if you cant do it, it's bad frustration. The game changes your mood to a bad one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.