GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Origionals or Sequals?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 18:29
Regular
Origional games like Jet Set Radio are hard to come by now. Many of the new games to hit the shops are sequals. Will there be any origional games to come out next year or will sequals continue to be made. Will the world of gaming be run by games like Gran Torismo 34 or Tomb Raider 75. Please post your replies because i really would like to hear what you say.
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:20
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
½pint wrote:
> Well, a sequel usually improves upon an original,

lol... theres an opinion I dont often hear :)

I would suppose that sequals work for a number of reasons...

Largly since they follow on from a successful original, then both 'gamers' who liked the original will want to play the further adventures...

'Casual' gamers, who dont really know what they are buying are more likly to purchase somthing they have tried before and enjoyed... Or, since the original was popular it was probably a title that they heard raved about by friends...

Also, dont forget that games are very brand loyal... and will be prepared to repeatedly buy the same game with imporved graphics... They will, it seems, defend the game to the death and can forgive almost any design flaws, usually hoping that the next game will be much better...

Just look how they are about their consoles... Also, see how defensive and upset Nintys got on this forum from the Rare Christmas card...
Fri 21/12/01 at 18:04
THPS3 - best game ever!
Fri 21/12/01 at 17:30
Regular
"¬_¬"
Some say that sequels are worse, but which would you prefer; Donkey Kong (the original) or Super Mario 64. Hm, I wonder!! :)
Fri 21/12/01 at 17:26
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree that sequels of games in a series do get progresively worse after time! The same happens with films, and I fear it could happen with 'The Matrix'!! But this cannot be said for consoles. The N64 - GameCube transformation will be GREAT for Nintendo.

Original games are the best usually. This isn't the case for the following though:

Zelda (cuz of the N64)
Grand Theft Auto (cuz of the PS2 and #3)
Resident Evil (not always greater than the last, quite similar)
and several more gaming series'.
Fri 21/12/01 at 16:47
Regular
"¬_¬"
Sequels may get progressively worse, but look at the final fantasy series. About 15 FF games are out and Final Fantasy X is one of the best games on the PlayStation 2. Some sequels are good (FF) and some are bad (Army Men). They are only games though, and as long as we get quality games I don't care.
Fri 21/12/01 at 16:13
Regular
well my opinion is that once you have played the original game and you like it you say to your mates things like i wonder what they will do in GTA4 will it have interenet hat would be wicked so everyne loves sequels
Sun 16/12/01 at 05:01
Most games this year will be sequals. You know I heard they were coming out with Mortal Kombat 5. Talking about over kill.
Sat 15/12/01 at 23:21
Regular
ADH wrote:
> Rez certainly looks original, but strange. Not one i'm exactly excited about.

"Original & Strange" - sounds like the recipe for a classic to me.
Sat 15/12/01 at 23:20
As long as Shiggsy still lives on. Nintendo will keep coming out with origonal games.
Luigis Mansion: Nothing like it before!
Pikmin: Nothing to compare it to!
Sat 15/12/01 at 23:19
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Rez certainly looks original, but strange. Not one i'm exactly excited about.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.