GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Digital Surround Sound Questions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/12/01 at 17:13
Regular
Would the PS2 need to be connected to a surround sound decoder, or could you hook up pc surround sound speakers to get full surround sound?
Wed 19/12/01 at 19:30
"MMMMM, Chicken"
thanks, youve been very helpful
Wed 19/12/01 at 11:01
Try the Kenwood KRFV5050.

It's reasonably cheap, has one optical input (and two coaxial inputs) and can do Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS.

Richer sounds have it online for £159 plus p&p (which is usually less than a tenner).

I know it's probably more than you want to spend (remember you need speakers on top of this) but it should last you for quite some time as a starter system.

Hope this is of some use.
Wed 19/12/01 at 10:24
No no no no no!!!
The PS2 does not have a built-in decoder.

You need an amplifier which has a built-in decoder, not just an amplifier.

A piece of equipment that has an on-board decoder will always (to my knowledge) have a six-channel output (left, centre, right, rear right, rear left and subwoofer).

My advice is to get over to Richer Sounds (www.richer.co.uk) as that's where I got mine from but you don't need to spend as much as I did.

All you need is a Dolby Digital/DTS amp with an optical input and a speaker kit.
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:11
"MMMMM, Chicken"
The DigiTheatre LC from Videologic is £130 (£110 on qed-uk.com), and it says that it will work with Dolby Digital/DTS enabled DVD players and/or a pc with six channel sound card. Would the PS2 be ok on its own when connected via an optical lead, or would it need to go through a dolby digital/DTS home cinema reciever(I thought the PS2 had a built in decoder and recoded it for transfer, but Im not sure with the optical lead). Can any one help?
Sun 16/12/01 at 19:22
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Im thinking of getting a surround sound system for my PS2 so any suggestions as to what type to get or where from would be appreciated. It is just for my bedroom so Im looking for good sound quality rather than power, so any suggestions would be great.
Sun 16/12/01 at 06:38
You can hook the PS2 straight to a surround sound system and most games that are out run on surround 5.1 and Metal Gear Solid 2 gives a chose of what you want to run.
Sat 15/12/01 at 15:45
Regular
The DTT2200 line of speakers is a 5.1 setup, but unlike most of the 5.1 systems that you would normally see, the 2200 are not digital.
Sat 15/12/01 at 15:42
"MMMMM, Chicken"
thatll be apreciated
Sat 15/12/01 at 15:38
Regular
I have the DTT2200. BUt I havnt tried them out with a PS2 yet. Give ya a report after i try it later.
Sat 15/12/01 at 15:23
"MMMMM, Chicken"
the sound station is just a stereo speaker set, so theres little difference between that and just my tv.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.