GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii Software Rant"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/06/07 at 11:20
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I am p****d off about how developers treat the Wii like an infant. They just try to dumb their games down and seem to believe that they are obligated to always fit in unnecessary motion control. Why is this, though? Not every developer is implementing the Sixaxis into their PS3 titles just for the hell of it, so why should the Wii be any different?

Another thing I don't get is how the 'Cube had many great games that would eat your life away like Paper Mario: TTYD, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and even Pikmin 2. So how come the Wii is mainly made up of tired ports and watered down spin-offs (such as Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam)? What has the Gamecube got that the Wii hasn't? Isn't the Wii more powerful than it? Should people have to settle with "Soul Calibur Legends" when Nintendo was capable of Soul Calibur 2 on their previous console?

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of games I am looking forward to on the Wii: Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Nights: Journey of Dreams to name a few. However, compare that to the HUGE numbers of games that are being released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in just this year alone: Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Assassin's Creed, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, The Darkness, Grand Theft Auto IV, Alone in the Dark, Alan Wake, etc. The Wii needs more proper games, and not just five-second minigames that the player has to shake the remote and nunchuck like a pair of maracas to.

Looking at Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy, these are two fine examples of how a game can be done properly without much unneeded control tweaks (if what we've seen and heard is anything to go by). Why can't we have more stuff like that? Obviously, I don't mind if the game actually works with the controls. Metroid Prime 3 might be just the game to make (near) perfect use of the controls, and not making them feel tacked on. Manhunt 2, which NGamer awarded an astonishing 92%, could've also been one of those games (and perhaps also be able to prove to developers that the Wii is capable of much bigger things), as the controls supposedly work well for that game. Of course, it just had to be (temporarily?) banned until Rockstar could make it more "acceptable", didn't it? This is another thing that just gets underneath my skin.

I suppose it is good to actually see some great online games on the horizon (with Mario Strikers Charged already out). It may not be able to compete with Xbox Live, and waiting times may be agonising, but it still offers plenty of good clean fun. I'm really hoping for the inevitable Mario Kart to be announced soon too.

Oh well, I guess I should end this on a positive note, so I won't say any more than that. We all know Nintendo are the king of party games, and are pretty damn good with games in general (judging from the SNES, N64, Gamecube and various Gameboy iterations), so I am hoping we will see more of what we used to- superb classics that will stay in our memories, in the good way. I guess, for now, all we can do is enjoy some of the Wii, 360 and PS3's back catalogues until we get a few AAA titles that Ninty are famous for. My rant is over (just wanted to get it all off my chest)... for now.
Mon 25/06/07 at 11:20
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I am p****d off about how developers treat the Wii like an infant. They just try to dumb their games down and seem to believe that they are obligated to always fit in unnecessary motion control. Why is this, though? Not every developer is implementing the Sixaxis into their PS3 titles just for the hell of it, so why should the Wii be any different?

Another thing I don't get is how the 'Cube had many great games that would eat your life away like Paper Mario: TTYD, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and even Pikmin 2. So how come the Wii is mainly made up of tired ports and watered down spin-offs (such as Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam)? What has the Gamecube got that the Wii hasn't? Isn't the Wii more powerful than it? Should people have to settle with "Soul Calibur Legends" when Nintendo was capable of Soul Calibur 2 on their previous console?

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of games I am looking forward to on the Wii: Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Nights: Journey of Dreams to name a few. However, compare that to the HUGE numbers of games that are being released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in just this year alone: Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Assassin's Creed, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, The Darkness, Grand Theft Auto IV, Alone in the Dark, Alan Wake, etc. The Wii needs more proper games, and not just five-second minigames that the player has to shake the remote and nunchuck like a pair of maracas to.

Looking at Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy, these are two fine examples of how a game can be done properly without much unneeded control tweaks (if what we've seen and heard is anything to go by). Why can't we have more stuff like that? Obviously, I don't mind if the game actually works with the controls. Metroid Prime 3 might be just the game to make (near) perfect use of the controls, and not making them feel tacked on. Manhunt 2, which NGamer awarded an astonishing 92%, could've also been one of those games (and perhaps also be able to prove to developers that the Wii is capable of much bigger things), as the controls supposedly work well for that game. Of course, it just had to be (temporarily?) banned until Rockstar could make it more "acceptable", didn't it? This is another thing that just gets underneath my skin.

I suppose it is good to actually see some great online games on the horizon (with Mario Strikers Charged already out). It may not be able to compete with Xbox Live, and waiting times may be agonising, but it still offers plenty of good clean fun. I'm really hoping for the inevitable Mario Kart to be announced soon too.

Oh well, I guess I should end this on a positive note, so I won't say any more than that. We all know Nintendo are the king of party games, and are pretty damn good with games in general (judging from the SNES, N64, Gamecube and various Gameboy iterations), so I am hoping we will see more of what we used to- superb classics that will stay in our memories, in the good way. I guess, for now, all we can do is enjoy some of the Wii, 360 and PS3's back catalogues until we get a few AAA titles that Ninty are famous for. My rant is over (just wanted to get it all off my chest)... for now.
Mon 25/06/07 at 11:46
Regular
I think that the answer to this is simple. Normally when a console is released you have a rush of quickly produced release titles ( that suck ), and then the ports before your proper games are released. Perfect example was Luigi's mansion for the cube which was followed up by Mario sunshine when they had the developement time.

With the Wii they didn't have to make the rushed release titles, as they were pretty sure that the innovative tech was enough to attract buyers as well as one release title, Zelda, which they had put time into. Lets face it you still cant get them in shops so it worked. They will have spent the last 8 months since release frantically working on the "franchise titles" e.g Mario and the proposed Sega nights game.

I really think that before the end of the year there will be a raft of descent titles which will hopefully have a slightly more adult theme. These take longer to create than the bubble graphics nintendo are used to

Do bare in mind however that it is a nintendo console and they have a strong child market so they will never be as involved and grown up as a 360 or PS3 game.
As long as your happy with good game play and not too fissed about stunning visuals I think you will be happy come December.
Mon 25/06/07 at 12:07
Regular
"lets go back"
The problem with the Wii is that it has a stupid control method.

Im sure its brilliant for a few select games and really changes the gaming experience, but what if you just want a normal game? Developers feel the need to implement the Wii-mote into their titles which leaves you with either a "tacked on" feel to the control set up or, as I suspect, the lack of willingness to produce a game in the first place.

Developers make "normal" games for the 360/playstation because thats what the market is aimed at. The Whole point of the Wii was to be different. Nintendo chose to sacrifice processing power for innovative game play styles. You can plug a gamecube controller into a Wii, but this removes the point of the console. It makes it "normal" like a PS/XBox, yet has less processing power and a lack of HD output. To put it simply, why would you buy a Wii if you didnt intend yo use the Wii-mote? Its the main feature after all.

I'm still yet to play a Wii, so my opinion is slightly flawed. Even without sampling this new control device, I still think it looks a bit rubbish. Its just like any other novelty controller. The Gcon you get with Time Crisis or the guitar you get with Guitar Hero are good examples of this. Both are fun to play on every now and then as a change but getting back to a regular control method is inevitable.

I'm sure the Wii-mote works great with some games, but how much bowling or tennis do you want to play? Even if someone comes up with a great idea for a game which works well, all of the other regular games still wont work right.

Im glad I decided against buying a Wii
Mon 25/06/07 at 12:21
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Geffdof wrote:
> To put it simply, why would you buy a Wii if you didnt intend yo use the Wii-mote? Its the main feature after all.

It's not that I don't intend to use the controller. I just think developers could make better use of it than just simple minigames, and make actual games.

Hopefully things will start to change by the end of this year and the beginning of the next, though. Like I said before, we have still got plenty of great games to look forward to. We just need more of them.
Mon 25/06/07 at 12:30
Regular
"8==="
I have learnt something from this article.

We can say 'p****d' now, cool.
Mon 25/06/07 at 14:10
"possibly impossible"
Surely the whole point is that Microsoft and Sony have the market sewn up for FPS and realistic racing games, Nintendo is trying something different, so it doesn't need the same games as the other two platforms.

Even within the FPS market, Nintendo refuses to go along with the same look and feel of the titles on other consoles and goes with something like the Metroid Prime series. But their strength is in having something different, a reason why many people have the Wii and another console, but also a reason why loads of people who wouldn't have picked up any console before now flock to the Wii.

They're not marketing it at the general gamer, they're marketing the Wii for a new audience and for the existing Nintendo fan base. New titles are using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk as a standard controller too, with the option of using the motion sensing (eg Smash Bros), which is probably the best way to go. But not having an old fashioned joypad is the whole point, they've got something new and exciting.
Mon 25/06/07 at 20:45
Regular
The Wii is a console based around a gimmick, what were you expecting?
Mon 25/06/07 at 21:58
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
...are you on MPO?
I seem to remember seeing your name somewhere...
I'm "ois", if you remember.
Tue 26/06/07 at 12:11
"possibly impossible"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The Wii is a console based around a gimmick, what were you
> expecting?

I guess you could say the same about Blu-ray on PS3 or the Analogue stick on the Saturn/N64...
Tue 26/06/07 at 21:47
Regular
"8==="
You could but you'd be completely wide of the mark.

The Wii controller is more in line with various things found in arcades. Thankfully they've bundled a normal controller with it too.

Whereas something like the DS can make good use of the touch screen due to the added bonus of being small and portable the wii is rather more limited in that it requires a proper space for it to be setup and the unlike the DS's touch screen there's really only so much you can do with the remote before things start to be repeated.

When people start wanting more complicated games the remote will be shunned in favor of the more traditional controller.

That said when you look at the updates of games such as Rapala fishing and Cabela's hunting games it's easy to see the remote could have a long-life with some titles. However the more complicated a game is the less the remote's likely to be adequate for it.

I'd still love to play a turnbased RPG using it though. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.