GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii Software Rant"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/06/07 at 11:20
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I am p****d off about how developers treat the Wii like an infant. They just try to dumb their games down and seem to believe that they are obligated to always fit in unnecessary motion control. Why is this, though? Not every developer is implementing the Sixaxis into their PS3 titles just for the hell of it, so why should the Wii be any different?

Another thing I don't get is how the 'Cube had many great games that would eat your life away like Paper Mario: TTYD, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and even Pikmin 2. So how come the Wii is mainly made up of tired ports and watered down spin-offs (such as Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam)? What has the Gamecube got that the Wii hasn't? Isn't the Wii more powerful than it? Should people have to settle with "Soul Calibur Legends" when Nintendo was capable of Soul Calibur 2 on their previous console?

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of games I am looking forward to on the Wii: Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Nights: Journey of Dreams to name a few. However, compare that to the HUGE numbers of games that are being released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in just this year alone: Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Assassin's Creed, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, The Darkness, Grand Theft Auto IV, Alone in the Dark, Alan Wake, etc. The Wii needs more proper games, and not just five-second minigames that the player has to shake the remote and nunchuck like a pair of maracas to.

Looking at Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy, these are two fine examples of how a game can be done properly without much unneeded control tweaks (if what we've seen and heard is anything to go by). Why can't we have more stuff like that? Obviously, I don't mind if the game actually works with the controls. Metroid Prime 3 might be just the game to make (near) perfect use of the controls, and not making them feel tacked on. Manhunt 2, which NGamer awarded an astonishing 92%, could've also been one of those games (and perhaps also be able to prove to developers that the Wii is capable of much bigger things), as the controls supposedly work well for that game. Of course, it just had to be (temporarily?) banned until Rockstar could make it more "acceptable", didn't it? This is another thing that just gets underneath my skin.

I suppose it is good to actually see some great online games on the horizon (with Mario Strikers Charged already out). It may not be able to compete with Xbox Live, and waiting times may be agonising, but it still offers plenty of good clean fun. I'm really hoping for the inevitable Mario Kart to be announced soon too.

Oh well, I guess I should end this on a positive note, so I won't say any more than that. We all know Nintendo are the king of party games, and are pretty damn good with games in general (judging from the SNES, N64, Gamecube and various Gameboy iterations), so I am hoping we will see more of what we used to- superb classics that will stay in our memories, in the good way. I guess, for now, all we can do is enjoy some of the Wii, 360 and PS3's back catalogues until we get a few AAA titles that Ninty are famous for. My rant is over (just wanted to get it all off my chest)... for now.
Tue 03/07/07 at 07:13
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Edgy wrote:
> Nintendo must be doing something right at the moment...

I think I worked out what it is. It's because it's the smallest sized console. When people buy electrical stuff they always go for the miniaturised version as in phones, radios, ipods, ipodphoneradios... smaller the better. Same applies to flatscreen TVs, sure they want the biggest screen possible but they want it to come with the slimmest sleekest lightest casing.

Plus I think in a roundabout way it's the general gaming public telling Microsoft and Sony that they don't really give a toss about HDTV and all the new fangled techie stuff, they just want to play games, on a games console.
Mon 02/07/07 at 21:23
Regular
Just to point out that Game Boy was one of the longest selling systems of all time until it was replaced by Game boy Advance (which could also play Game Boy games)

As for Wii doing better than the other systems - according to gamesindustry.biz it is outselling the PS3 by 6 units for every 1 in Japan.

Nintendo must be doing something right at the moment...
Mon 02/07/07 at 13:47
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Actually, I really hope that the Wii outsells the others, as that could probably mean Dragon Quest X for the Wii. It would make sense, given Square's history of putting Dragon Quest on the best selling format (NES, Playstation, PS2 and DS).

Maybe it's just false hope, but you never know...

Also, Beautiful Katamari for the Wii could probably be pretty sweet too (if what IGN says is true).
Sat 30/06/07 at 17:21
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
All I can say on the subject is - Wii is a Nintendo product. Games struggle to be released on it just because the lifespan on their consoles are surprisingly short, hence fewer games.

However, the success of the DS consoles may prove me wrong in the long run. Best hold out and you'll get more titles.
Sat 30/06/07 at 13:55
Regular
We're expecting one from E3.
Sat 30/06/07 at 13:26
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Has anyone got the latest release date for Super Smash Brothers Brawl?
Fri 29/06/07 at 01:28
Regular
Well yeah, Oblivion's excellent but it's only one game and was also available on PC.

The 360 just didn't feel next gen from the start and it took a while before it did. There wasn't really anything that convinced me to go out and get one what with a PC and Xbox already handy.

It's not just MS, though. All the consoles this time around have been a tad neglected with regards to the software in their opening months, particularly the 360 and PS3. The Wii, by its nature, had to do a bit better in that respect, but as the original topic shows, it didn't do quite enough either.
Thu 28/06/07 at 17:01
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Hedfix wrote:
> And we had Hexic maaaaan, HEXIC!!11 :D

Damn skippy, that won the console war before it had even started :-D
Thu 28/06/07 at 15:29
Regular
"8==="
Mav wrote:
> Fair enough, I meant a rung up from decent really, stuff that
> makes me want the console.

Like Oblivion?

>
> Those games were decent, true, but didn't warrant the 360's
> price tag. PGR3 was PGR2 with better graphics and Condemned was
> really only as good as its demo - the console took a long
> time to get going.

Erm, then we had Oblivion on top of games that made good use of Live from launch. So no it didn't take long to get going at all.

>
> I think MS were more interested in getting the machine out
> before anyone else than what they'd actually put on it.

I think they knew they had a few PC ports coming along and knew that that'd see them through the early months.

And we had Hexic maaaaan, HEXIC!!11 :D
Thu 28/06/07 at 01:13
Regular
Fair enough, I meant a rung up from decent really, stuff that makes me want the console.

Those games were decent, true, but didn't warrant the 360's price tag. PGR3 was PGR2 with better graphics and Condemned was really only as good as its demo - the console took a long time to get going.

I think MS were more interested in getting the machine out before anyone else than what they'd actually put on it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.