GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Website Layouts!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 21:17
Regular
I need help...as I am going mad over this!!

Which design is the best for my site???

http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk

http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk/homepage.html

I could really use a second opinion on this!
Wed 12/12/01 at 21:17
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I need help...as I am going mad over this!!

Which design is the best for my site???

http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk

http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk/homepage.html

I could really use a second opinion on this!
Wed 12/12/01 at 23:04
As a non-professional (who has his own site) who is basing his opinion on only the first looks and not the functionality....

The first site looks visually more appealing than the second site which hurt my eyes due to the bright red menu.

Hope I have helped.
Steve
Thu 13/12/01 at 04:32
Regular
I prefer the second one, except that the menu on the left is a bit red. I'd suggest a darker kind of maroon, with white lettering, or a slightly oranger red to soften it a bit, still with black text.

Also, the second one needed me to scroll the browser horizontally, not really a good thing. I'm pretty sure my monitor is 800 pixels wide, if that's why, but maybe setting the total table width at 100% and not specifying the main text block's cell width might fix it.

Keep in mind that i'm still learning HTML, in the pretty early stages, and sorry if the last point may have come across as a bit patronising, but not knowing how much html knowledge you do have, i thought i'd mention it. You probably do in fact know much more than i do right now.
Thu 13/12/01 at 07:49
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
zeldapro wrote:
>http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk

I like this one, though your CSS scroll bars will only work in IE5+. There was a massive script error on the loading of this page, but it fits nicely into 800 wide.

>http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk/homepage.html

Not too keen on this one especially as you have to scroll sideways (bad), you could get around this by using relative tables instead of absolute especially as the design isn't all that complicated.

Personally i'd work on the first of the two and tighten it up as well as dropping the piointless CSS effect on the scroll bars.
Thu 13/12/01 at 07:53
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Just oout of interest, I'd be interested in some feed back on one of my latest sets of designs for a rebranding of a previous client.

Http://www.tyla.org.uk/polity/new.htm

There are three designs in total, there's no functionality there just flat designs as these are merly concepts for the client to approve before the code stage, so before anyone spouts off about their size, this is irrelavent as the finished site will be scaleable.

Cheers
Thu 13/12/01 at 09:37
Regular
"..."
Tyla wrote:
> Just oout of interest, I'd be interested in some feed back on one of my latest
> sets of designs for a rebranding of a previous
> client.

Http://www.tyla.org.uk/polity/new.htm......

I like the second one. don't know why. I think it is becuase the images at the bottom are nicely spaced and on a plain background. Overall it looks 'cleaner' than the other 2 designs. Like 'em lots.
Thu 13/12/01 at 10:14
I've got a strong preference for number 1. The information is in the right order (welcome/who we are, nice graphics, then navigation). Very clear navigation from the front page.

Number 2 is crisp & smart, but somehow "bitty".

The graphic on number 3 is dominating and distracting.

Nice work. Great colours.
Thu 13/12/01 at 13:53
Tyla wrote:
> Just oout of interest, I'd be interested in some feed back on one of my latest
> sets of designs for a rebranding of a previous
> client.

> Http://www.tyla.org.uk/polity/new.htm

They are all really classy designs, they look really nice... but... my first worry would be the download times on those babys, they all seem image intensive. My second worry would be that all the designs have loads of menu options...

There are a lot of buttons demanding your attention all over the pages Has all that stuff been asked for by the client? Could it be simplified? What happens to all the buttons when the user goes to a page about a specific book or Author, where does the actual "content" go?

Having said that, I like homepage 2 the best, homepage 3 the least, and homepage one is inbetween ;).
Thu 13/12/01 at 14:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
funkygamer wrote:
>They are all really classy designs, they look really nice... but... my first worry would be the download times on those babys, they all seem image intensive. My second worry would be that all the designs have loads of menu options...

Download times will be tiny and almost insignificant with some clever optimisation, I can get these pages to appear in their entirity in under 10 seconds!! Had years of practice at it.

>There are a lot of buttons demanding your attention all over the pages Has all that stuff been asked for by the client? Could it be simplified? What happens to all the buttons when the user goes to a page about a specific book or Author, where does the actual "content" go?

These are "Splash" pages and not designed to contain content but to set the "image" and "enforce" the identity of the company. I'm currently working on the internal structure of the page designs and should have them up early next week and have masses of room for content...

As for the menu options... As usual, this was decided by the client and after spending hours of arguing with them about the ammount of options there (almost 40 in total!!) they've still decided to keep with this number!

>Having said that, I like homepage 2 the best, homepage 3 the least, and homepage one is inbetween ;).

I haven't got a personal fave yet, probably due to having stared at them all week!:-) But The client seems to like #2 at the moment.
Thu 13/12/01 at 14:51
Regular
""
Nice designs. I'm with number 2 too.

I'm interested in your optimisation techniques though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.