GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Website Layouts!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 21:17
Regular
I need help...as I am going mad over this!!

Which design is the best for my site???

http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk

http://www.geocities.com/zp77uk/homepage.html

I could really use a second opinion on this!
Wed 18/05/11 at 16:21
Regular
Hi I'm Rob Mitchell Chisholm

Principal of Aura and head of operations. I run the day to day features of Aura and take care of all Tech issues and Payroll.

Myself, Nickie - Manager (nicole keene in SDG Chat) and Callum - Admin - are based at head office for your convenience so you can contact any of us direct or any other ACPs simply by emailing them using their first name (lower case) at our web address.....auravirtual...... you get the picture.

I have worked for Arise now over 1 Year and have reaped the rewards through hard work and so can you.

I have a varied background in direct management ranging from Web design to recruitment and troubleshooting management so I have a varied knowledge of all different sectors.

I have been homeshoring for the last 6 years with well known names in the UK so I have a great background in this new and exciting way of employment without the crack of the commute to endure. I am client certified for both SDG and II so I have a great background of client specifications.

Along with Aura VSC we also own Aura PA and Concierge Services, Aura Web
Design and NoMoreChecks.co.uk.

If you wanna chat or want any assistance just get in touch and we will be happy to help!

Cheers
Rob
Fri 21/12/01 at 01:03
Regular
"How Handy."
I just stick it all together, then again, I'm crap at webdesign
Wed 19/12/01 at 17:59
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
OK I am sorted now Thanks!!

I took some of the advice like the scrollbar colours and have ditched those, and gotten rid of the horizontal scroll bar!

I have still gone for the sidebar menu, everything should fit inside the screen.

Also I have dulled down the menu colour a bit like someone suggested!

So it should look better layed out now.oh and plus the logo has changed!!

Ta for the help

ZP
Thu 13/12/01 at 15:53
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I like the layout of the second one myself slightly more than the first one!! (talking about my orginal post).

These were done very quickly (except for the first one) so I will probably sort out the bright red as it was just as a guideline thing.
The Scrollbar thing is a nice effect which I like and I think I will keep that as it is no trouble because I use it as part of the code in my template.

The first one although it was easyier to put together, I am not that keen on (menu across the top i didn't like) so I am thinking of opting for the side menu one.

I will change the colours a bit might use CSS for the colours so maybe a darkish red - not so bright or maroon as someone suggested. With White menu writing, and leave the rest, I will also try to make the web pages narrower so that there is no horizontal scroll. But the first one is great for size...it is just the layout of the menu I don't like.

zp
Thu 13/12/01 at 15:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ajg wrote:
> Nice designs. I'm with number 2 too.

I'm interested in your optimisation
> techniques though.

**The designs are no longer available for public preview at the clients requests. An updtaed version of the designs will be available early next week. Cheers for the feedback from various people.**

With regards to my optimisation techniques, it's all down to knowing which format to use, what makes file sizes bigger (eg gradients and textures, dithering anything outside of the 256 pallet etc) as well as using CSS and clever layout to create the final page. In total, only about 50% of what was there will be used as images, the rest will be CSS and clever table layout.

Interlacing and Progressive formatting makes download times much faster as well as keeping to flat colours and simple layouts. the largest image will be the graphic used in either design but his will still be less that 30k when finished.

When I've translated them into HTML I'll enlighten you with the overall file sizes for each splash page.
Thu 13/12/01 at 14:51
Regular
""
Nice designs. I'm with number 2 too.

I'm interested in your optimisation techniques though.
Thu 13/12/01 at 14:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
funkygamer wrote:
>They are all really classy designs, they look really nice... but... my first worry would be the download times on those babys, they all seem image intensive. My second worry would be that all the designs have loads of menu options...

Download times will be tiny and almost insignificant with some clever optimisation, I can get these pages to appear in their entirity in under 10 seconds!! Had years of practice at it.

>There are a lot of buttons demanding your attention all over the pages Has all that stuff been asked for by the client? Could it be simplified? What happens to all the buttons when the user goes to a page about a specific book or Author, where does the actual "content" go?

These are "Splash" pages and not designed to contain content but to set the "image" and "enforce" the identity of the company. I'm currently working on the internal structure of the page designs and should have them up early next week and have masses of room for content...

As for the menu options... As usual, this was decided by the client and after spending hours of arguing with them about the ammount of options there (almost 40 in total!!) they've still decided to keep with this number!

>Having said that, I like homepage 2 the best, homepage 3 the least, and homepage one is inbetween ;).

I haven't got a personal fave yet, probably due to having stared at them all week!:-) But The client seems to like #2 at the moment.
Thu 13/12/01 at 13:53
Tyla wrote:
> Just oout of interest, I'd be interested in some feed back on one of my latest
> sets of designs for a rebranding of a previous
> client.

> Http://www.tyla.org.uk/polity/new.htm

They are all really classy designs, they look really nice... but... my first worry would be the download times on those babys, they all seem image intensive. My second worry would be that all the designs have loads of menu options...

There are a lot of buttons demanding your attention all over the pages Has all that stuff been asked for by the client? Could it be simplified? What happens to all the buttons when the user goes to a page about a specific book or Author, where does the actual "content" go?

Having said that, I like homepage 2 the best, homepage 3 the least, and homepage one is inbetween ;).
Thu 13/12/01 at 10:14
I've got a strong preference for number 1. The information is in the right order (welcome/who we are, nice graphics, then navigation). Very clear navigation from the front page.

Number 2 is crisp & smart, but somehow "bitty".

The graphic on number 3 is dominating and distracting.

Nice work. Great colours.
Thu 13/12/01 at 09:37
Regular
"..."
Tyla wrote:
> Just oout of interest, I'd be interested in some feed back on one of my latest
> sets of designs for a rebranding of a previous
> client.

Http://www.tyla.org.uk/polity/new.htm......

I like the second one. don't know why. I think it is becuase the images at the bottom are nicely spaced and on a plain background. Overall it looks 'cleaner' than the other 2 designs. Like 'em lots.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.