GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PRESENT AND FUTURE OF CONSOLE STORAGE DEVICES AND CONTROLLERS!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 13:51
Regular
We are currently in the most advanced stage of console evolution, and judging by the massive leaps we've taken these past few months I'd reckon we're in for a treat in years to come.

Maybe we'll be playing Playstation games on our mobiles or maybe we bight even be able to play them on our watches but I think that's a bit unrealistic, so let's get back to the real world.

Console use various different types of hardware like disks or carts but carts seem to be obsolete now.

What might be used for consoles now or in the future?

They might use chips of some sort.
It would open a whole new gateway into the world of gaming, you might even be able to store more than one game on them and downloads extras off the internet.
But I think that's a bit unrealistic so let's get down to earth again.

They probably wouldn't use floppy disks because they can't store enough data and they've been used in the past and haven't proved to be good enough.

Carts or CD's are the best option at the moment as they have more storage space and can be used without to much cost with the exception of the cartridges of course.

So that's an end to what storage devices manufactures would probably use. Now it's onto the Controllers.

So what types of controllers might manufacturers use?

The N64 has got a good handset it's easy to use it hasn't got many buttons and they aren't to big.
There's the L + R buttons, there's the C buttons, the D-Pad the Z trigger and finally the super sensitive analogue stick which offers good response times and high performance.

Unlike some other consoles handsets, some of the buttons correspond to what the command function is. I.E like in racing games usually what you must do to accelerate is press the a button and the B button to brake .

So the N64 handset is well set out. But what about others?

Well the Playstations handset has a vast array of buttons and it's very complicated to master the functions of each buttons if you never had a Playstation before.

There's the Four L + R buttons, two on each side, there's the X button the O he Square button and there is the triangle button, why Sony needed all these buttons I don't know, I guess they wanted to be original.

There are also the two dual shock analogue sticks with built in rumble feature. I think the rumble feature is one of the best features of the Playstation handset because it saves you having to go out and buy a Rumble Pak.
And of course there's the D-Pad which is very rarely used, and when it is it's normally used for cheats or for people with big hands, which brings me to talk about the Dreamcast handset.

Unlike other console manufacturers I guess Sega decided to think about people with big hands when they came to the point of making the handset.

I can't say much about the Dreamcasts handset because I don't know a lot about it but what I do know is that it has two tiny little analogue sticks four other buttons to operate different input commands for games.

I also know that it has I visual memory unit, which you plug into the handset.
It's used to save games and store ghosts etc. It can also be taken out of the handset and you can switch on the unit and you can play a smaller version of the game you saved. I think this is the best feature, 'cos you can take the unit and continue your saved game anywhere
It seems as if Sega have spent more time on making the handset than they have making the console.
Besides what good is a well designed handset going to do when the console it was made for is crap anyway?

What type of input devices (Controllers) might they use in the future?

Well virtual reality could be used in the future. It would certainly go down well with us mere folk but at a cost, the price of virtual reality will be high.
If virtual reality was used for a console it'd be the biggest selling console since the GameBoy colour was launched.

But sadly we will have to sit on the edges of our seats playing PS2's and Gamecubes until that happens.

THE END!!!

Thanks for reading!
Sat 07/05/11 at 15:24
Regular
If anyone has any photos from the Belgium golf trip can you email them to me at [email protected] and I will load them into a gallery on the website. Thanks.
Fri 14/12/01 at 10:41
"I hate that!!!"
No gas mask I bareley read your topic it just gave me one or two ideas that's all.
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:26
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Don't even think about trying to make a copy of my topic.

Read it

"Sore Thumbs"

Hmm seams a little too similar to me..
Thu 13/12/01 at 17:37
Regular
Sorry Dogsnuts, but I think this topic is on the poor side of medium.

How can you say:

"I can't say much about the Dreamcasts handset because I don't know a lot about it but what I do know is that it has two tiny little analogue sticks four other buttons to operate different input commands for games.

I also know that it has I visual memory unit, which you plug into the handset.
It's used to save games and store ghosts etc. It can also be taken out of the handset and you can switch on the unit and you can play a smaller version of the game you saved. I think this is the best feature, 'cos you can take the unit and continue your saved game anywhere
It seems as if Sega have spent more time on making the handset than they have making the console."?

You say you can't say much about it, but then go on to say more than you did for the other two pads.

It didn't have two tiny little analogue sticks. It had one main analogue stick and two analogue scalextric type triggers as shoulder buttons.

You can't play a smaller version of the game on the VMU either. Only a few games put mini-games onto the VMU, and hardly any of these had anything to do with the main game anyway. The only one I can remember is Trickstyle, which put a Snake-like game on the VMU.

But you saved the best for last, that's for sure. "Besides what good is a well designed handset going to do when the console it was made for is crap anyway?".

How can you say the DC is crap? Have you played one? It would appear not after reading your abysmal report of the controller. Also, the DC didn't sell as many units as the PSX or PS2. Does that make it crap?

No.

Not that many people own Ferrari's, does that mean the car is crap? Not at all.

Sort your facts out next time please, and think about what you're write before you hit the "Post this message" button.

Thanks.
Thu 13/12/01 at 12:48
"I hate that!!!"
Nice post meka.
Thu 13/12/01 at 12:37
Regular
"not dead"
The evolution of controllers over the years could be interesting.

We've already got the analogue sticks, and analogue buttons, so we have a far greater degree of control in the games. There's also a wealth of novelty controllers around too, such as fishing rods and pool cues. Then you have the dance mats.

I reckon in the future we'll see many more of these novelty controllers, such as:

Bowling ball and sensor mat. This will improve the quality of all bowling games, not just ten-pin bowling games! From the initial roll on the mat the game will be able to analyse your shot, and recreate it exactly how it would have been had you done it on a real green, or bowling alley! Of course, you'd need different types of bowls/balls for each game, be it regular bowling, ten-pin or boules, or indeed any other such game.

Curling stick/brush thing: I forsee curling becoming a very important sport in the future, so there will be plently of games to emulate it. Select the power of your shot with a regular pad, then brush the floor with your curling stick. Special sensors in the stick will be able to recreate your brushing on screen. This peripheral could also be used in a cleaning sim, if one was ever invented.

Catapult: It would make a change from a gun, wouldn't it? Similar in style, just pull it back, and let it go to fire at enemies. Don't load it for real though, or you'll put a hole in your TV.

A baseball bat with swing motion sensor: Keep your distance from the TV though...
Thu 13/12/01 at 10:55
"I hate that!!!"
That's rubish the Cube has got plenty of moving parts.

If Consoles didn't have any moving parts it would be no good and it wouldn't work.
Wed 12/12/01 at 15:14
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Moving part components are gradually being replaced. Hey DMonster, go into FOGCHAT and see the ROFLRN whatever. It's funny.
Wed 12/12/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Mr. Molyneux commented on the use of these 'cards' in the future. So, there must be some truth.
Wed 12/12/01 at 15:10
"I hate that!!!"
Well I din't say anything incase about them incase I got it wrong.

Plus iI din't want to make the topic too long.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.