GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zoolander"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 08:38
Regular
And so the year draws to a close, and the cinema industry contemplates a future where blowing up buildings and smiting multitudes of screaming extras is a big no-no, it's pretty certain that nonsense will continue to be a regular diet. "Zoolander" was not untouched by the horrors of September 11th (shots of the Twin Towers were digitally excised), and though its US box office take was simply OK, I imagine that daft comedies will probably become even more prevalent, if only because making too many "Harry Potters" will prove expensive.

Even on its own limited terms. "Zoolander" should probably count as a failure. It's a sharp satire on the fashion business, the film is toothless, giving wet slobbery kisses instead of biting painful chunks out of a world that is ripe for comic exploitation. Given that the film is crowded with walk-ons from the catwalks (Claudia Schiffer, Donatella Versace, Lenny Kravitz), it's almost like the film has gained approval from it's intended victims.

And yet, here we are in the third paragraph, and I have to admit I loved it. Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller) is the world's most successful male model, adored for his famous "Blue Steel" look, but dark clouds are gathering; up-and-coming clothes horse Hansel (Owen Wilson) steals the best Male Model award from Derek's grasp, a Time journalist (Christine Taylor) suggests he's dumb, oh, and an international conspiracy is determined to brainwash him into assassinating the Prime Minister of Malaysia. I've had weeks like this.

It's exceptionally silly, as that synopsis might imply, and not content with an idiotic plot, Stiller (who also writes and directs) constantly throws in moronic parody sequences like the bit where Derek goes home to his Pennsylvania mining home town to rediscover his roots, or the extended skit on "2001" which pops out of nowhere for no particular reason. The silly faces models pull, the offensive shock-tactics of designers (a late sequence involves "Derelicte", a fashion collection based on homeless people which is all too horribly plausible), anorexia, the sweatshops that produce many fashion items and the weird connection between catwalk fashion and David Bowie - it's all here, thrown in without any great plan or organisation, but without argument, very funny.

If you're in the mood, this is a treat. Stiller's gormless performance, his brilliant stranded-somewhere-in-the-Atlantic accent, and amazingly stupid remarks are easily the equal of Austin Powers in terms of a comic character, while virtually everything that Wilson does or says is side-splitting. Stupid clothes, superb one-liners, Jon Voight's incredible hairstyle - it all combines to make a film that is painfully funny. On the other hand, if you're not in the mood, it's probably unbearable, a bunch of incredibly silly men enjoying themselves being silly.

Stiller hasn't directed a film since his outstanding, generally despised satire on television "The Cable Guy", and he'a definitely treading very gingerly with "Zoolander", as eager to include extended gags about the size of Derek's manhood as subtle character comedy. He hedges his bets considerably, and the result is a mess. But with superb performances from Will Ferrell as a demented fashion designer, the glorious Milla Jovovich escaping all those awry Acting roles by playing a cross between Anna Wintour and Miss Whiplash, and best of all, Stiller's dad Jerry as Derek's foul-mouthed agent, he at least ensures that the mess is delivered with limousine service.

Of course, the silliest gag of all is that Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are about as likely to be male models. But if you find grown men gleefully making fools of themselves funny, see this film.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.
Fri 14/12/01 at 12:26
Regular
"not dead"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Well it is Shaneo under a different name, so i'm guessing that most of it's
> copied.

Oh God no! Does that mean we'll get another one of those pathetic apology threads, one of the "Please SR, don't ban me!" ones.
Fri 14/12/01 at 12:24
Regular
Well it is Shaneo under a different name, so i'm guessing that most of it's copied.
Fri 14/12/01 at 11:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Firebalt wrote:
the glorious Milla Jovovich escaping all those awry
> Acting roles by playing a cross between Anna Wintour and Miss Whiplash,

Please explain who Anna Wintour is.
Not that I'm for one minute suggesting that parts of this review have been borrowed from anywhere else.

*cough cough*
Fri 14/12/01 at 11:22
Regular
"not dead"
I didn't know that Stiller directed The Cable Guy!

That's one of my all time favourites!
Fri 14/12/01 at 11:19
So, where did you copy this from?
Wed 12/12/01 at 08:38
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
And so the year draws to a close, and the cinema industry contemplates a future where blowing up buildings and smiting multitudes of screaming extras is a big no-no, it's pretty certain that nonsense will continue to be a regular diet. "Zoolander" was not untouched by the horrors of September 11th (shots of the Twin Towers were digitally excised), and though its US box office take was simply OK, I imagine that daft comedies will probably become even more prevalent, if only because making too many "Harry Potters" will prove expensive.

Even on its own limited terms. "Zoolander" should probably count as a failure. It's a sharp satire on the fashion business, the film is toothless, giving wet slobbery kisses instead of biting painful chunks out of a world that is ripe for comic exploitation. Given that the film is crowded with walk-ons from the catwalks (Claudia Schiffer, Donatella Versace, Lenny Kravitz), it's almost like the film has gained approval from it's intended victims.

And yet, here we are in the third paragraph, and I have to admit I loved it. Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller) is the world's most successful male model, adored for his famous "Blue Steel" look, but dark clouds are gathering; up-and-coming clothes horse Hansel (Owen Wilson) steals the best Male Model award from Derek's grasp, a Time journalist (Christine Taylor) suggests he's dumb, oh, and an international conspiracy is determined to brainwash him into assassinating the Prime Minister of Malaysia. I've had weeks like this.

It's exceptionally silly, as that synopsis might imply, and not content with an idiotic plot, Stiller (who also writes and directs) constantly throws in moronic parody sequences like the bit where Derek goes home to his Pennsylvania mining home town to rediscover his roots, or the extended skit on "2001" which pops out of nowhere for no particular reason. The silly faces models pull, the offensive shock-tactics of designers (a late sequence involves "Derelicte", a fashion collection based on homeless people which is all too horribly plausible), anorexia, the sweatshops that produce many fashion items and the weird connection between catwalk fashion and David Bowie - it's all here, thrown in without any great plan or organisation, but without argument, very funny.

If you're in the mood, this is a treat. Stiller's gormless performance, his brilliant stranded-somewhere-in-the-Atlantic accent, and amazingly stupid remarks are easily the equal of Austin Powers in terms of a comic character, while virtually everything that Wilson does or says is side-splitting. Stupid clothes, superb one-liners, Jon Voight's incredible hairstyle - it all combines to make a film that is painfully funny. On the other hand, if you're not in the mood, it's probably unbearable, a bunch of incredibly silly men enjoying themselves being silly.

Stiller hasn't directed a film since his outstanding, generally despised satire on television "The Cable Guy", and he'a definitely treading very gingerly with "Zoolander", as eager to include extended gags about the size of Derek's manhood as subtle character comedy. He hedges his bets considerably, and the result is a mess. But with superb performances from Will Ferrell as a demented fashion designer, the glorious Milla Jovovich escaping all those awry Acting roles by playing a cross between Anna Wintour and Miss Whiplash, and best of all, Stiller's dad Jerry as Derek's foul-mouthed agent, he at least ensures that the mess is delivered with limousine service.

Of course, the silliest gag of all is that Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are about as likely to be male models. But if you find grown men gleefully making fools of themselves funny, see this film.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.