GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter cell"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell'.
Tue 25/03/03 at 19:54
Regular
played demo for both the PS2 and PC. And i'm not that imprest. it feels too much like hitman 2-slow

although the graphic effects are brilliant.
Your views?
Tue 01/04/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Finished it on Normal Mode, now playing on Hard Mode. Can't see the difference to be honest although I'm not looking forward to the Georgian Palace section which was hard enough on Normal Mode.

I'm not 100% on this, but it doesn't look like you get any extras for completing the game. This would give it around a 20 hour lifespan if true in which case I'll revise my score of a 'nearly 10' to a 'nearly 9'.
Sat 29/03/03 at 18:21
Regular
Played it for about 8 hours since yesterday. (I'm up to the Oil Rig Platform on Normal Mode which I think is mission 3 of 10).

Overall it starts out VERY linear, only one route to where you're going and only one way to get there. Things start to open up a little later on, giving you more scope for exploration, more gadgets to play with as you progress, and I'm getting used to the fact that even though I can still see my silhouette onscreen I'm actually invisible according to the light meter so can sneak up on enemies from the front and take them out without being seen by them.

There's no humour in it yet, unlike Snake who can muck around with guards to his heart's content, but I've got a way to go. The nearest to chuckles are some of the quips Sam Fisher comes out with when interrogating guards or chatting to his Chief. This is a much more adult orientated game though despite its 11+ rating compared to MGS2:SOL's 15 rating. There's less blood than MGS2 so I suppose that's why the rating is so much lower. But the plot and stealth gameplay are very high brow so kids might get bored easily. This isn't a fast game, more of a thinking man's game.

Best bit so far? Doing the split jump in a narrow corridor, waiting for the prison guard to walk underneath, then dropping down on him to knock him out. That is just...so...cool the first time you pull it off. Bet you anything that if MGS3 ever gets a release we'll see that as one of Snake's new moves.

OPSM2 gave it 9/10, a Silver Award no less. I'm inclined to agree with this, but it's VERY close to a 10.
Fri 28/03/03 at 23:21
Got it this morning and was quite excited of its expectations after hardcore sessions of the lame OPSM2 demo disc.
After a few goes I found it slow and a little boring but after a little break for tea, a small seesion and a little persistence, it started to get interesting.
Missions are long and involving but enemies are still, how can I put it, 'dumb'.
Other than that and bearing in mind I've only had a small amount of gaming time, its quite good. Hoping to get a healthhy dose of gaming activity soon and a more indepth feel into what is know now as Splinter Cell...

Watch this space...
Fri 28/03/03 at 18:46
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
My review

http://www.acegamez.com/Tom_Clancys_Splinter_Cell_PS2.htm
Fri 28/03/03 at 17:05
Regular
*Takes of wrapper*

Manual smells nice...

More later.
Fri 28/03/03 at 17:04
Regular
"Complete Banker"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> First impressions: Nice box, I'll play it after tea and post more then

To be honest, I don't gauge the quality of a game on the box. There may be some corrolation though.... :P
Fri 28/03/03 at 17:02
Regular
I just got back from my local Indie store (cost a couple of quid more than SR but hey, I had the money and I wanted it NOW) with Splinter Cell.

First impressions: Nice box, I'll play it after tea and post more then :P
Fri 28/03/03 at 16:59
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I wasn't too impressed here, although in light of the consistantly good reviews, I might have another bash at the OPS2M demo we had some months back.
Thu 27/03/03 at 15:27
lalakersrule wrote:
> As it's a stealth game where the whole idea is to complete your
> objectives with the enemies hopefully not spotting you then of course
> it's going to be slow. It's not a Doom clone where you just go all
> guns blazing into a room and kill everything, you have to actually
> think of how you're going to go about a mission attracting the minimum
> amount of attention.

Yes. This is the main appeal to me. I love stealth and strategy games. MGS blew me away on the PS1 since I first read about it way back in early issues of OPSM1. It was the first true taste of stealth action for me.
Then MGS2 on the PS2 was very much an improved game, with great graphics, AI, story and stealthiness. Was a bit short and way long on cut-scenes but fantastic.

My greatest experience so far has got to be Hitman 2, a well class game with loads of different ways to complete a level, big selection of weapons and a good story. One of the best stealth games.

Now Splinter Cell comes along with its own take on the stealth action, and suprisingly it looks alright. New features for a stealth game, throw cans, climb walls and the infra-red and night vision goggles; add a whole new dimension to the game.
Can't wait, it'll turn up tomorrow morning and I'll have the whole weekend to decide whether the demo did it any justuce and they've improved or if its just utter cack...

I'll have to wait and see.
Wed 26/03/03 at 19:47
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
As it's a stealth game where the whole idea is to complete your objectives with the enemies hopefully not spotting you then of course it's going to be slow. It's not a Doom clone where you just go all guns blazing into a room and kill everything, you have to actually think of how you're going to go about a mission attracting the minimum amount of attention.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.