GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola SPAM filters"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/07 at 08:57
Regular
Hello - at the end of November, Freeola updated their spam software and it made a massive improvement to the spam situation [URL]http://chat.freeola.com/Web-Development-4-chat/Super-spam-reduction-1119.html[/URL].

Since then I had hardly received any spam on my Freeola accounts from senders with made up names like: Wilma Burks, Belinda Fair, Houston Pickett - all with a subject like Hello!, photo, etc.

But in the last day or so I've noticed some of this type of spam starting to re-appear. Could Freeola please check their spam system is fully functional, as in the past I believe this has been an indication of something needing attention?

Thanks in advance.
Tue 24/07/12 at 00:17
Regular
In 2012 I am now noticing just the same problem: recently the level of spam from one or two a week getting through FreeOLA's filters has shot up to several a day. Is there somehting wrong with the filters?
Thu 21/06/07 at 17:58
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hello,
Could you please send the emails as attachments instead of forwarding them. Simply forwarding the email gets rid of all the header information we need as it alters the original spam email.

If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express you can open the spam email and then save it somewhere on you computer. You can then create a new email to our webmaster address and add the saved spam email as an attachment. The will preserve the spam headers and give us more of a clue as to what is going on.
Thu 21/06/07 at 13:21
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Hi Eccles,

Have just recieved another spam E mail which was only a single image, no text, unlike text ones GWD had. The picture in the Email is linked and called from:

http://k.foto.radikal.ru/0706/db/599d27a31a4c.gif whose website comes up as an: HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden page.

This also was sent to a private / personal, totally unseen or known other than close friends & family E mail address which is only detailed in the .php script that sends it !!!

Have forwarded it to webmaster for you to see,

Thanks Dan
Tue 19/06/07 at 23:17
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
It should be. Perhaps someone from support picked up the emails. They normally deal with the day to day emails that are sent in. Anyway, you emails are being looked into, I got them this time!
Tue 19/06/07 at 16:09
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Hi Eccles,
have just forwarded it to: [email protected], strange the others didn't arrive as they were sent from my E mail freedom account ??? and the two auto response emails that came back said thanks.

The return msgs being: Thank you for your submission to the Freeola Email abuse system, your email will be used to help train our Anti-spam system and help to minimize the inconvenience of unwanted messages to our customers.

Hope it's working OK ???

Dan
Tue 19/06/07 at 12:33
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hello,
It doesn't look like your email has turned up at the abuse address. Could you forward the original on to webmaster at freeola.co.uk so that I can get the full original headers?
Mon 18/06/07 at 19:00
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
No problem. I will pick that up tomorrow and look into it.
Mon 18/06/07 at 17:35
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Sorry Eccles,

Should have said that I replaced only that part, to post it here, as otherwise it shows the hidden valid address at 'my website'.

I have now 'redirected' the entire e mail as received to abuse@freeola, I can't do as GWD said 'send as an attachment' as E mail fredom only allows files from my computer to be attatched ???

Dan
Mon 18/06/07 at 17:13
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hi Dan,

I'm looking into your email for you as those headers are showing the email From address as being [email protected], so the sending of the form should fail as this isn't a valid Freeola address.
Mon 18/06/07 at 17:08
Regular
Hi Dan,
The best bet is to forward any problem emails to Freeola as an attachment - that way Freeola can look at the headers etc.

NB. It looks like your example is from your form-to-mail script.
The IP address is for your website and related services! i.e. Enta/Freeola's email service not the spammer!

Spam from forms is a bit of a tricky one...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.