GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In through the blackdoor"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/12/01 at 10:50
Regular
Anybody here heard of a game called Metal Gear Solid? Well shocking as this may seem, there is going to be a sequel, called Metal Gear Solid 2, that will be released some time next year. I suggest you have a pause here to recover from this shocking news, and resuming reading in a couple of minutes.

To be honest, I think Metal Gear has possibly tried to hard to get into our homes. Instead of the usual - knock on the door, advertise a little, and then get an invite - this game is literally busting down the doors and windows to get in. In fact its even trying to get down the chimney its so determined!

Anyway, the point is, a game like Metal Gear Solid couldn`t possibly be missed by a PS2 owner. It is the game that everybody knows about, and in most cases, desire. However, not all games are so keen to let themselves be seen, and a recent example goes to show just how quietly some games enter the market.

If you take an Army Man game, the hype these days is worth nothing. There is nothing 3DO can say or do to make anybody want to even think about liking the games in the series. As a result, if they didn`t bother hyping or advertising their games, then I`m sure people would be a lot happier!

Now, where as some games just shouldn`t be hyped, there are also those that are so good that they really should by hyped up (like Metal Gear Solid 2). However, there is a third category - the games that are great, but receive little hype or anticipation. Serveral titles, particularly over the last few months haven`t had the advertising power of games like Devil May Cry and Jak and Daxter, so have suffered as a result.

A little under three months ago, the tragic events in America started a series of changes in almost all industries. The more directly hit were airlines and travel companies between Europe and America. However, the repercussions have spread as far as the gaming industry as well. Compared to the horrors of 11/9, this is virtually meaningless, but with those events behind us, it has become possible to analyse the situation in the gaming world.

Games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 have had problems - a scene involving Metal Gear Ray in New York was deleted. Similarly affected was Dropship, another fine looking title. Grand Theft Auto 3 seemed to make it through the confusion without too much trouble, but then they`re used to it after all the uproar that follows every game they release.

Finally, there is Twisted Metal Black. Due to a scene in the game involving planes and explosions, this game was at first thought to be cancelled all together. After a few weeks, people realised it was merely delayed, possibly into 2002, which was a little disappointing, but good news that it was still going to be released. The reaction to this game in America had been fantastic, and this was a title that shouldn`t be missed.

The point is, thanks to the events in september, and the huge advertising power of Capcom and Naughty Dog (with lots of Sony`s help), nobody seemed to notice the quiet arrival of Twisted Metal Black this Friday. It entered through the "black"door, without even knocking. Its now sat patiently on the shelves, waiting for people to notice it as being one of the best games on PS2. If you haven`t been swayed by the beauty of Jak and Daxter, the action of Devil May Cry, or the stunts in Tricky and Tony Hawk`s, then perhaps this was the alternative you seek. As for those of us who were tempted by the big AAA releases this month, if you have any cash left, you know where to put it.
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:02
Regular
To be honest I didn`t even see that much hype before september. In America the game was huge, and got a lot of hype in places like IGN, but PS2 magazines in Britain weren`t so big on it. A mediocre review in PSM2 and barely any other comments were all I got.

I wouldn`t have realised it was out if I hadn`t been in WHSmith today. Its the last place you`d look for a new release, and yet there it was... I was only there to find a Christmas present for my Dad, and noticed the game by chance.

Otherwise... I`d still be posting away about Jak and Daxter, not realising that his game had passed by!
Sat 08/12/01 at 17:52
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I was already 'HYPED' up for the release of Twisted Metal due to some crazy previews I had seen, and after scraping out some cash I bought it. This game is stupendous! There's loads of mad vehicles, with mad characters and fantastic interactive levels. You can crash through walls, run over people or even set them alight - it's mad, but great!!! The battle scenes are ever so intense and endless, you can't stop playing it.

Aside from all of this, I do believe that MGS 2's anticipation is one worthy of being hyped up! For once we are seeing a game that went through years of detailed development being hyped up for one particular and very important reason, it's going to be one of the greatest games to ever hit the market. We all thought Metal Gear was a classic, MGS 2 is going to be a super-classic after a couple of years, and already it has become platinum in America.

I'm just waiting patiently for my pre-ordered copy to arrive...
Sat 08/12/01 at 17:40
Regular
"You Bum!!"
That word again....HYPE. There has been a lot of hype surrounding all the new PS2 releases. For a year, gamers didnt have much to talk about at all-only a selected number of quality games sitting on the shelves next to the Army Men type titles...
And suddenly all those games promised by the developers and in the month of October they started pouring out in the shops. First up was GTA3.I mean there was next to none hype surrounding the release of the game since people were a bit sceptical about the series going 3D. But it turned out to be an absolute gem and right now is one of the best games available for our little black beauty.
On the other hand, there was Smackdown Just Bring It....A game that was surrounded by hype, THQ promised us that it is going to be the best wrestling game on any console and that its going to be essential for everyone. Well while it may be the best wrestling game on any console right now, its far far from brilliant.The story mode was a let down and really the game wasnt a radical departure from the PSone games.

I think that games that in some way link to terrorism and New York have done well to keep on the quiet side. Developers were not lazy enough to go back, change the titles of their games (as can be seen in Dropship..) and appropriately removed/changed some of the content.

I think that there are loads of brilliant titles out there just like Twisted Metal Black. There has been almost null hype surrounding the game, and it may just be a nice addition to everyones game collection
Sat 08/12/01 at 11:18
Regular
True indeed, the first was sooo good that you couldn`t help but wonder about a sequel. I guess the same argument is said for DMC and Jak and Daxter. Each have a great reputation from their creators, Capcom and Naughty Dog.

Perhaps we should start an advertising campaign for Twisted Metal then. :-) We could tour the forums and post interesting topics about the game that the public forgot.

Thanks for the reply as well! Always good to have a discussion without too many one line posts!
Sat 08/12/01 at 11:12
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well i have to say, until i read that i did not even know that it was out, and this is a game that i was really wanting.

I can see what you mean though, some games like MGS2 have huge amounts of hype around them that make you want to buy them. In MGS2's case though i think it is us who is making all the hype. There has been little on TV about it, the odd whats going on at the moment on some of the games shows that are around. The net obviously has much info about it, but there really is not 'in your face' advertising is there. Its in placed like this that the mass of Hype is created by us.

The fact that MGS 1 was so good made it a huge ground braking game, and with the arrival of the news of MGS 2 we all thought this game is going to be great, speculating what was going to be in it. Then we got the demo with the Resi game which infueled us even more, and showed what the game is shaping up to be, which made us all talk about it even more.And because of this hype being made by the main men, and us, its a game that everyone knows about and wants.
Sat 08/12/01 at 10:50
Regular
Anybody here heard of a game called Metal Gear Solid? Well shocking as this may seem, there is going to be a sequel, called Metal Gear Solid 2, that will be released some time next year. I suggest you have a pause here to recover from this shocking news, and resuming reading in a couple of minutes.

To be honest, I think Metal Gear has possibly tried to hard to get into our homes. Instead of the usual - knock on the door, advertise a little, and then get an invite - this game is literally busting down the doors and windows to get in. In fact its even trying to get down the chimney its so determined!

Anyway, the point is, a game like Metal Gear Solid couldn`t possibly be missed by a PS2 owner. It is the game that everybody knows about, and in most cases, desire. However, not all games are so keen to let themselves be seen, and a recent example goes to show just how quietly some games enter the market.

If you take an Army Man game, the hype these days is worth nothing. There is nothing 3DO can say or do to make anybody want to even think about liking the games in the series. As a result, if they didn`t bother hyping or advertising their games, then I`m sure people would be a lot happier!

Now, where as some games just shouldn`t be hyped, there are also those that are so good that they really should by hyped up (like Metal Gear Solid 2). However, there is a third category - the games that are great, but receive little hype or anticipation. Serveral titles, particularly over the last few months haven`t had the advertising power of games like Devil May Cry and Jak and Daxter, so have suffered as a result.

A little under three months ago, the tragic events in America started a series of changes in almost all industries. The more directly hit were airlines and travel companies between Europe and America. However, the repercussions have spread as far as the gaming industry as well. Compared to the horrors of 11/9, this is virtually meaningless, but with those events behind us, it has become possible to analyse the situation in the gaming world.

Games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 have had problems - a scene involving Metal Gear Ray in New York was deleted. Similarly affected was Dropship, another fine looking title. Grand Theft Auto 3 seemed to make it through the confusion without too much trouble, but then they`re used to it after all the uproar that follows every game they release.

Finally, there is Twisted Metal Black. Due to a scene in the game involving planes and explosions, this game was at first thought to be cancelled all together. After a few weeks, people realised it was merely delayed, possibly into 2002, which was a little disappointing, but good news that it was still going to be released. The reaction to this game in America had been fantastic, and this was a title that shouldn`t be missed.

The point is, thanks to the events in september, and the huge advertising power of Capcom and Naughty Dog (with lots of Sony`s help), nobody seemed to notice the quiet arrival of Twisted Metal Black this Friday. It entered through the "black"door, without even knocking. Its now sat patiently on the shelves, waiting for people to notice it as being one of the best games on PS2. If you haven`t been swayed by the beauty of Jak and Daxter, the action of Devil May Cry, or the stunts in Tricky and Tony Hawk`s, then perhaps this was the alternative you seek. As for those of us who were tempted by the big AAA releases this month, if you have any cash left, you know where to put it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.