GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In through the blackdoor"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/12/01 at 10:50
Regular
Anybody here heard of a game called Metal Gear Solid? Well shocking as this may seem, there is going to be a sequel, called Metal Gear Solid 2, that will be released some time next year. I suggest you have a pause here to recover from this shocking news, and resuming reading in a couple of minutes.

To be honest, I think Metal Gear has possibly tried to hard to get into our homes. Instead of the usual - knock on the door, advertise a little, and then get an invite - this game is literally busting down the doors and windows to get in. In fact its even trying to get down the chimney its so determined!

Anyway, the point is, a game like Metal Gear Solid couldn`t possibly be missed by a PS2 owner. It is the game that everybody knows about, and in most cases, desire. However, not all games are so keen to let themselves be seen, and a recent example goes to show just how quietly some games enter the market.

If you take an Army Man game, the hype these days is worth nothing. There is nothing 3DO can say or do to make anybody want to even think about liking the games in the series. As a result, if they didn`t bother hyping or advertising their games, then I`m sure people would be a lot happier!

Now, where as some games just shouldn`t be hyped, there are also those that are so good that they really should by hyped up (like Metal Gear Solid 2). However, there is a third category - the games that are great, but receive little hype or anticipation. Serveral titles, particularly over the last few months haven`t had the advertising power of games like Devil May Cry and Jak and Daxter, so have suffered as a result.

A little under three months ago, the tragic events in America started a series of changes in almost all industries. The more directly hit were airlines and travel companies between Europe and America. However, the repercussions have spread as far as the gaming industry as well. Compared to the horrors of 11/9, this is virtually meaningless, but with those events behind us, it has become possible to analyse the situation in the gaming world.

Games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 have had problems - a scene involving Metal Gear Ray in New York was deleted. Similarly affected was Dropship, another fine looking title. Grand Theft Auto 3 seemed to make it through the confusion without too much trouble, but then they`re used to it after all the uproar that follows every game they release.

Finally, there is Twisted Metal Black. Due to a scene in the game involving planes and explosions, this game was at first thought to be cancelled all together. After a few weeks, people realised it was merely delayed, possibly into 2002, which was a little disappointing, but good news that it was still going to be released. The reaction to this game in America had been fantastic, and this was a title that shouldn`t be missed.

The point is, thanks to the events in september, and the huge advertising power of Capcom and Naughty Dog (with lots of Sony`s help), nobody seemed to notice the quiet arrival of Twisted Metal Black this Friday. It entered through the "black"door, without even knocking. Its now sat patiently on the shelves, waiting for people to notice it as being one of the best games on PS2. If you haven`t been swayed by the beauty of Jak and Daxter, the action of Devil May Cry, or the stunts in Tricky and Tony Hawk`s, then perhaps this was the alternative you seek. As for those of us who were tempted by the big AAA releases this month, if you have any cash left, you know where to put it.
Mon 10/12/01 at 09:56
Regular
Kid Rock wrote:
> Adverts that are being shown now

I still haven`t seen a J and D advert. I`ve seen the original PS2 one, two GT3 ads, the chumming one, the dog one, the wolfman one, the Burnout one, the Airblade one, the DMC one, Fifa 2002/Harry Potter ones, and possibly a couple of others, but not the J and D one.
Mon 10/12/01 at 09:14
Regular
I agree that it has lived up to the hype, but I don`t think thats due to lack of hype to start with. The whole "Project Y" thing was designed to give Jak and Daxter a big feeling of mystery about it. The deliberate lack of information was more powerful than a lot of other hype producing tools.
Sun 09/12/01 at 21:29
Regular
"Touched!"
I am so glad that jak and daxter lived up to what people thought it would be like, although there was minimal hype at first everyone now loves the game and has hyped it since release, if only more games would turn out like this!
Sun 09/12/01 at 17:24
Regular
Jak and Daxter had some quite clever hype really. Instead of Sony or Naughty Dog going on and on about how great it looked and how well it would play, they kept it all under their coats, telling nobody anything. Eventually a few screenshots seeped out, and the occasional video trailer, but things were still kept quiet. The lack of info actually helped the game a great deal.
Sun 09/12/01 at 14:23
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
MrMatrix wrote:
> Yep ppl official release date for MGS2 is 19th february >2002!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 19th a Tuesday!? When was the last time you saw a game release on a Tuesday?
I think we'll stick with the 22nd as this is a Friday and will probably be more like it.
Sun 09/12/01 at 11:17
Regular
"Bah"
Yep ppl official release date for MGS2 is 19th february 2002, ill definatelty be getting it as i owned the PSone game from the day of release and although i completed it in a weekend its fun to go back and play again! - reserve you copy now as i will tell you nearer the time this game will be huge and i gonna be a massive sell out!
MM
Sun 09/12/01 at 11:14
Regular
Jak and Daxter got quite a look of hype before E3 the mystery known as Project Y and after E3 the hype died down and now it has come back bigger then ever and i have seen the Adverts that are being shown now,im getting it for christmas after seeing it on game network one morning.

( i werent really interested until i saw it on there)
Sun 09/12/01 at 10:58
Regular
Usually WHSmith either don`t get the best games at all, or they get them in stock about 4 weeks after release. They only ever seem to have the unheard of titles on their shelves - and all priced about £10 more than anywhere else. I guess that means Twisted Metal Black is one of those "obscure titles" as well.
Sun 09/12/01 at 00:30
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
i have already made two posts about TW:B and said thousands of times how good this game is.

i think this game should be a must buy for everyone, not an if have enough money, go and buy it now (it has an ice cream truck) go on, go!
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:09
I noticed it in WHSmith aswell. I was wuite suprised to see in the shelves.

I had been planning on getting the game, and it looks and sounds really good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.