GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Installs"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/11 at 12:27
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting absolutely sick of game installs.

Yeah, sure, they were fine, when they were small little things: 1GB or less. But over the last year or so, they've gotten horribly large. I had over 12GB free a few days before Christmas on my hard-drive (which was only made possible following the removal of installs of Heavy Rain (4GB) and ModNation Racers (3GB).

But following *mandatory* installs of The Saboteur (4GB), Prince of Persia Trilogy (3.5GB) and Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (3GB), I find myself at a loss for space yet again. And with Yakuza 3 sitting unused on my shelf so far (5GB), I'm wondering when I'll actually be able to play some of my games without deleting the install for something I still plan on playing.

I had planned on getting Gran Turismo 5, but after hearing that it's loading times are awful without the 6.4GB compressed install (10GB uncompressed), there's just absolutely no chance of that happening (besides, I played it last week and I don't feel like I'm missing much).

The only solution that doesn't involve waiting disproportionate amounts of time between playing games, is to replace the hard-drive, but I've not found anywhere that will do it for me, and I don't have the means for data transfer, so I guess, for now, I'll have to struggle on...
Wed 05/01/11 at 14:07
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Well, I figured I'd do a quick experiment and actually see what's occupying the hard-drive at the moment, install-wise [and some notable patches, too] (although I might go through videos and games to see how much of a difference it's making)

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (Patch): 345MB
Smackdown vs. RAW 2011: 3656MB
Prince of Persia Trilogy: 3721MB
The Saboteur: 4012MB
Assassins Creed Brotherhood: 3042MB
Dead Rising 2: 2858MB
Red Dead Redemption (Patch): 533MB
Uncharted 2: 245MB + 219MB
Assassins Creed 2: 1113MB
Heavy Rain (Patch): 246MB (With deleted install 4000MB)
Prototype: 678MB
Mirrors Edge: 650MB
Prince of Persia: 2158MB
LittleBigPlanet (Patch Only): 858MB
Burnout Paradise (Patch Only): 946MB
And various other patch datas that are around 200MB

So that's 22,133MB worth of installs, 24,716MB (24.1GB) including patches. Or just under half of my hard-drive taken up with install data. Hmm...wonder where the rest of my space is...

(Quick note, Free Space: 1625MB/55GB, if anyone was interested)
Wed 05/01/11 at 13:46
Regular
I don't think it is limited to the PS3. Xbox 360 suffers the same issue and the popularity of Wii downloads meant Nintendo had to rush out SD support. I guess it's something that no manufacturer can truly anticipate: how much games manufacturers are going to push the system. Storage size is something that dates back to the early systems - even the ROM-based systems where games manufacturers butcher the internals of the cartridge with their own hardware to get around the interface limitations. Switching to optical drives meant more cost-effective storage but even then there were multi-DVD games for the previous generation & multi-CD games for the generation prior. The console manufacturers (OK, may be not Nintendo who always seem at least one generation behind) got around the speed of the optical drive this time by permitting installs to a hard disc.. I've no idea how much 3D gaming is going to hoard but it's not likely to be light-weight. :(

Good look finding a hard drive upgrade path. Personally, it was a PS3 slim.
Wed 05/01/11 at 13:34
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Agreed, they are getting silly, and will only grow more I feel.

Although i recently propped myself up with a 250gb PS3 and the Xbox has 120gb so it's not a major concern really.

I'm not going to have 50 (at 5gb average) PS3 games installed that I will play at "some point".

The good thing is the consoles steadily get cheaper with deals.
Wed 05/01/11 at 12:27
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting absolutely sick of game installs.

Yeah, sure, they were fine, when they were small little things: 1GB or less. But over the last year or so, they've gotten horribly large. I had over 12GB free a few days before Christmas on my hard-drive (which was only made possible following the removal of installs of Heavy Rain (4GB) and ModNation Racers (3GB).

But following *mandatory* installs of The Saboteur (4GB), Prince of Persia Trilogy (3.5GB) and Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (3GB), I find myself at a loss for space yet again. And with Yakuza 3 sitting unused on my shelf so far (5GB), I'm wondering when I'll actually be able to play some of my games without deleting the install for something I still plan on playing.

I had planned on getting Gran Turismo 5, but after hearing that it's loading times are awful without the 6.4GB compressed install (10GB uncompressed), there's just absolutely no chance of that happening (besides, I played it last week and I don't feel like I'm missing much).

The only solution that doesn't involve waiting disproportionate amounts of time between playing games, is to replace the hard-drive, but I've not found anywhere that will do it for me, and I don't have the means for data transfer, so I guess, for now, I'll have to struggle on...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.