GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Installs"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/11 at 12:27
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting absolutely sick of game installs.

Yeah, sure, they were fine, when they were small little things: 1GB or less. But over the last year or so, they've gotten horribly large. I had over 12GB free a few days before Christmas on my hard-drive (which was only made possible following the removal of installs of Heavy Rain (4GB) and ModNation Racers (3GB).

But following *mandatory* installs of The Saboteur (4GB), Prince of Persia Trilogy (3.5GB) and Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (3GB), I find myself at a loss for space yet again. And with Yakuza 3 sitting unused on my shelf so far (5GB), I'm wondering when I'll actually be able to play some of my games without deleting the install for something I still plan on playing.

I had planned on getting Gran Turismo 5, but after hearing that it's loading times are awful without the 6.4GB compressed install (10GB uncompressed), there's just absolutely no chance of that happening (besides, I played it last week and I don't feel like I'm missing much).

The only solution that doesn't involve waiting disproportionate amounts of time between playing games, is to replace the hard-drive, but I've not found anywhere that will do it for me, and I don't have the means for data transfer, so I guess, for now, I'll have to struggle on...
Fri 18/02/11 at 10:23
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ahh more niggly annoyances with GT5. How the mighty fall eh? (Yet still manage to be regarded as a god of a game 0_o)
Thu 17/02/11 at 11:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
When I was installing GT5 it ran out of space, it never told me just loaded the game. Realising that it had finished too fast I went to options to try the install from there, it just sat there for hours and did nothing without saying anything until I realised its problem and started deleting things.
Wed 16/02/11 at 22:38
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Had an interesting encounter with a mandatory install the other day. Returning to Wolverine to get the Platinum trophy, I inserted it to be greeted with "Installing game data" followed by "You require 2024MB more space to install game data"...and then the game started. Wolverine has around 3GB worth of install, and it had managed a mere 1.3GB with how much I had left on the harddrive (giving me 60MB free, yay).

Leaving me interested to see how mandatory mandatory installs actually are, and how many games don't install fully when the hard-drive doesn't allow. A rare occurance, or a necessary back-up? Needless to say, I was rather pleased.
Sat 08/01/11 at 15:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
pete_21 wrote:
Would that be the review nazi zombie mode then Chris ? :P

Lmao it could well be ;D
Sat 08/01/11 at 09:42
Regular
"I like turtles"
Would that be the review nazi zombie mode then Chris ? :P
Fri 07/01/11 at 17:48
Regular
"How Ironic"
To be honest, I hold World at War in higher regard than MW2 (can't comment on Black Ops). At least WaW had abit of atmosphere, plus the Zombie mode was a fantastic addition. For free, it's a superb deal ;D
Fri 07/01/11 at 15:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
My mate had already had it put through one of those machines but it was well beyond repair.He bought a new copy and I had the wrecked one for nowt.World At War was not the greatest COD game but can't deny that it was superb value for money.
Thu 06/01/11 at 20:14
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:
Try the toothpaste trick for the scratched disc pete :D It really does work as long as there are no extremely deep scratches.

Silicon based furniture polish for 30 minutes. Or you could just take it into Gamestation, they have a disk repair machine.
Thu 06/01/11 at 18:00
"The Videogame King"
I actually want to get ModNation Racers.
Thu 06/01/11 at 17:59
"The Videogame King"
I don't mind video game installs and would actually prefer a game system with a hard drive (which i already have). But some of the large installs I've read about on this site are ridiculous.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.