GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future's bright, the future's Purple!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/12/01 at 17:14
Regular
As many of you may know, the GC launch in Japan was not as good as it could be. There were only 3 games available on the launch day and supplies were limited. Nintendo also had the prospect of GC also having to try and sell in heavy rainfall and with terrorist attcks having just happened as well. Not a very good looking time to try and sell a console, a time that the world is recovering from shock. The GC sold around 350,000 copies on the first weekend. Hardly a bad launch but not exactly top either. The PS2 sold 900,000 on it's weekend release. The GC is still selling in Japan and should be a hit at Christmas but now Ninty needed to look forward to the American release for a better response.

So along came the American release of the GameCube. The GC was put in shops just 3 days after the X-Box launch. Many people (including Sony) thought that the GC would outsell the X-Box within the first week of both consoles having a shot on the market. They were right. The GC sold 750,000 on the first week compared to the 300,000 sales of the X-Box. Nearly 3 times more sales for Ninty then. Maybe the higher sales were due to the fact that the US gamers simply had more games to choose from on launch. Maybe it was because the shock of the recent events were now starting to become less recent. Or maybe it was even because American gamers have more faith in Nintendo than even the Japanese. But what Nintendo now knew, was that they had put themselves in a dominant position. That position was above the X-Box in the US, which is clearly the biggest gaming country in the world and it is also the home country of the X-Box. Well done Nintendo.

Now I move onto the thing that I actually am trying to say here. If the launch of the Nintendo Gamecube is improving as it goes through countries then is Britain going to be the luckiest of all. If most games magazines are saying (which they are), Nintendo are bringing out more games and if they now can develop them faster, that means that the games will be made and sent here for the UK launch, then those magazines are right. If they are right then we can hope to see more variety and loads of great games and accsesories at launch. Now there will be no Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong (Ninty's killer games) for a while, we can still have fun with Luigi, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Starfox Adventures, Tony Hawk's 3 and most imprortantly Star Wars : Rogue Leader. And we will have more of a choice of colours of GC when the UK release comes around (still scheduled for March next year) which should satisfy people that don't like purple.

Thanks 4 reading, Afro.
Sat 08/12/01 at 11:42
I'm getting the Gamecube as soon as it comes out hopefully if it isn't sold out by the time i get it. I've been saving up for ages now and I'm getting a Job next month so I hopefully should have no problem getting it. I have my fingers crossed!
Sat 08/12/01 at 10:37
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Don't spam pointlessly like that. Now you see why newbies are not liked much.
Sat 08/12/01 at 09:48
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Well Ninty say they have sold the most consoles ever at launch ........... but so have X-Box. I personally believe that the "Gube" is more popular than the X-Box and always will be but nobody knows for sure who sold the most.
Fri 07/12/01 at 23:51
Regular
I suppose the figures change depending upon your source...so who are we really to believe?
Fri 07/12/01 at 23:50
Regular
okay i got a bit wrong, but read this

http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1337

THe x-box sold close to 600,000 in its first nine days.
Fri 07/12/01 at 22:54
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> THe x-box sales were closer to 600,000. Not the 300,000 figure you stated.

There were only about 350,000 Xbox's shipped.

I think that both are equally popular but because there were more Cube's to sell, more "gube's" (I'm adopting that name for the Gamecube now! :-)) were sold.

Nintendo completely outsold the Xbox but that means nothing.
Fri 07/12/01 at 18:48
Well it would seem that all Nintendos fears about the sales of the GC in America have been abolished with a great turnout. I'll admit the prospect of a head to head with the X-Box didn't seem to go too much in Nintendo's favour originally in my opinion...

From earlier...

Well, if you know what to do in Goldeneye why not sit on the Golden Gun and wait?! Not half as good as blowing up remote mines in mid air though! ;)
Fri 07/12/01 at 18:45
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I got the sales off an e-mail from Upwire that said GC outsold X-Box by almost 3 times as much and it also said X-Box sold around 300,000 units compared to GC sales of 850,000 units. Don't blame me. Blame upwire! :D
Thu 06/12/01 at 22:27
Regular
THe x-box sales were closer to 600,000. Not the 300,000 figure you stated.
Thu 06/12/01 at 21:50
Regular
Spiriatii wrote:
> NYAHAHAHA! Weren't expecting to see me back were you now?

I remember you!

You're the one who like to paste your friend at Goldeneye (and it wasn't like he had the game at home to practice on!) by standing on the Golden Gun.

You newbie basher! :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.