GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future's bright, the future's Purple!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/12/01 at 17:14
Regular
As many of you may know, the GC launch in Japan was not as good as it could be. There were only 3 games available on the launch day and supplies were limited. Nintendo also had the prospect of GC also having to try and sell in heavy rainfall and with terrorist attcks having just happened as well. Not a very good looking time to try and sell a console, a time that the world is recovering from shock. The GC sold around 350,000 copies on the first weekend. Hardly a bad launch but not exactly top either. The PS2 sold 900,000 on it's weekend release. The GC is still selling in Japan and should be a hit at Christmas but now Ninty needed to look forward to the American release for a better response.

So along came the American release of the GameCube. The GC was put in shops just 3 days after the X-Box launch. Many people (including Sony) thought that the GC would outsell the X-Box within the first week of both consoles having a shot on the market. They were right. The GC sold 750,000 on the first week compared to the 300,000 sales of the X-Box. Nearly 3 times more sales for Ninty then. Maybe the higher sales were due to the fact that the US gamers simply had more games to choose from on launch. Maybe it was because the shock of the recent events were now starting to become less recent. Or maybe it was even because American gamers have more faith in Nintendo than even the Japanese. But what Nintendo now knew, was that they had put themselves in a dominant position. That position was above the X-Box in the US, which is clearly the biggest gaming country in the world and it is also the home country of the X-Box. Well done Nintendo.

Now I move onto the thing that I actually am trying to say here. If the launch of the Nintendo Gamecube is improving as it goes through countries then is Britain going to be the luckiest of all. If most games magazines are saying (which they are), Nintendo are bringing out more games and if they now can develop them faster, that means that the games will be made and sent here for the UK launch, then those magazines are right. If they are right then we can hope to see more variety and loads of great games and accsesories at launch. Now there will be no Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong (Ninty's killer games) for a while, we can still have fun with Luigi, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Starfox Adventures, Tony Hawk's 3 and most imprortantly Star Wars : Rogue Leader. And we will have more of a choice of colours of GC when the UK release comes around (still scheduled for March next year) which should satisfy people that don't like purple.

Thanks 4 reading, Afro.
Thu 06/12/01 at 17:14
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
As many of you may know, the GC launch in Japan was not as good as it could be. There were only 3 games available on the launch day and supplies were limited. Nintendo also had the prospect of GC also having to try and sell in heavy rainfall and with terrorist attcks having just happened as well. Not a very good looking time to try and sell a console, a time that the world is recovering from shock. The GC sold around 350,000 copies on the first weekend. Hardly a bad launch but not exactly top either. The PS2 sold 900,000 on it's weekend release. The GC is still selling in Japan and should be a hit at Christmas but now Ninty needed to look forward to the American release for a better response.

So along came the American release of the GameCube. The GC was put in shops just 3 days after the X-Box launch. Many people (including Sony) thought that the GC would outsell the X-Box within the first week of both consoles having a shot on the market. They were right. The GC sold 750,000 on the first week compared to the 300,000 sales of the X-Box. Nearly 3 times more sales for Ninty then. Maybe the higher sales were due to the fact that the US gamers simply had more games to choose from on launch. Maybe it was because the shock of the recent events were now starting to become less recent. Or maybe it was even because American gamers have more faith in Nintendo than even the Japanese. But what Nintendo now knew, was that they had put themselves in a dominant position. That position was above the X-Box in the US, which is clearly the biggest gaming country in the world and it is also the home country of the X-Box. Well done Nintendo.

Now I move onto the thing that I actually am trying to say here. If the launch of the Nintendo Gamecube is improving as it goes through countries then is Britain going to be the luckiest of all. If most games magazines are saying (which they are), Nintendo are bringing out more games and if they now can develop them faster, that means that the games will be made and sent here for the UK launch, then those magazines are right. If they are right then we can hope to see more variety and loads of great games and accsesories at launch. Now there will be no Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong (Ninty's killer games) for a while, we can still have fun with Luigi, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Starfox Adventures, Tony Hawk's 3 and most imprortantly Star Wars : Rogue Leader. And we will have more of a choice of colours of GC when the UK release comes around (still scheduled for March next year) which should satisfy people that don't like purple.

Thanks 4 reading, Afro.
Thu 06/12/01 at 17:19
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Actually the GameCube's advertised colour is 'indigo' not purple. And most people refer to it as more of a 'blue' colour, rather than purple, if not indigo.

And yes, of course the Cube will be no.1 next year, and everyone will love it!! Yes, yes, yes, bla bla bla.....

sorry, didn't mean to be rude.
Thu 06/12/01 at 17:21
NYAHAHAHA! Weren't expecting to see me back were you now?

I'd agree there, indigo is an odd colour to advertise under as it isn't a colour you'd immediately think of really. I always thought it was purple too...
Thu 06/12/01 at 18:09
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
> Actually the GameCube's advertised colour is 'indigo' not purple. And most
> people refer to it as more of a 'blue' colour, rather than purple, if not
> indigo.

And yes, of course the Cube will be no.1 next year, and everyone will
> love it!! Yes, yes, yes, bla bla bla.....

sorry, didn't mean to be rude.

Well I think I'll show my thoughts to your posts now rather than keeping them inside my head. And the colour may be ADVERTISED as Indigo and i may be CALLED Blue but belvieve me, it is purple.
Thu 06/12/01 at 18:13
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
And I'm not trying to point out the colour. I am trying to point out that the GC will be better when it is released here as it will have more games and accsesories at launch. I am not trying to put in that GC is indigo or violet or blue or red or green or even purple. That is the colour and I am using it, but actually read the post and you will see that I am referring to the console sales in the US and Japan and talking on the fact if they will be good over here.

Banter now offically closed.
Thu 06/12/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
No FAIR!!!
I thought of this title a while ago (the futures bright, the futures purple) but just couldn't think of a decent topic to match the incredibly witty title. Oh well you know what they say.

Great minds think alike...

;-)
Thu 06/12/01 at 21:28
Regular
So when the 'yellow' gube was revealed, did anyone do a topic called

'the future's bright: the future's a minging shade of yellowy orange... hold on, it's not actually bright because nobody in their right mind would pay money for something that looks like that when there are black and purple (don't start ; ) ) alternatives, not unless they want it to match their room's colour scheme of old vomit and curry, so you could say the future for that colour is as dim as not being bright can possibly be'

(Guess what i think of that colour gube ; ) )
Thu 06/12/01 at 21:37
Regular
I think the Jet Black colour is kinda classy
Thu 06/12/01 at 21:40
Regular
I've just had a VERY scary thought. I think it probably merits its own topic, but it wouldn't have the continuity of putting it here. (?)

What if in america and japan, sales of the dirty yellow consoles are so slow that nintendo only make new consoles for sale there using the purple and black housings?

Then there'd be a big surplus of yellow housings in a warehouse somewhere, and a shortage on purple and black ones.

So when it came to producing machines for the european launch (see where i'm going here?), nintendo would have the choice between:

Increasing the strain in production of purple and black housings, keeping a warehouse full of unused yellow housings, and releasing nice colours in europe
-or-
Let the system catch up with producing purple and black housings, while using up the unwanted yellow ones for the european release machines, which would sell anyway to those wanting a release console and to pre-orderers (like myself), before nintendo could produce pal machines using purple and black housings a few months later when they'd used up all that unwanted yellow trash.

Now you know what nintendo think of us in europe.
LIVE IN FEAR
Thu 06/12/01 at 21:50
Regular
Spiriatii wrote:
> NYAHAHAHA! Weren't expecting to see me back were you now?

I remember you!

You're the one who like to paste your friend at Goldeneye (and it wasn't like he had the game at home to practice on!) by standing on the Golden Gun.

You newbie basher! :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.