GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Flash 5, and where macromedia can shove it"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/12/01 at 15:19
Regular
With the renewed general interest from getting into some html, i went back to my trial version of flash 5, and seeing there were only 9 of the 30 free days left, i went to take a look at buying options.

Now, i guess i was probably pretty naive, but i'd figured it was a nice program, would be pretty easy to learn enough of the ins and outs of it to make movie files, and possibly games at some stage in the future (though that wasn't too important). So, i figured i'd be happy enough to pay 35 or 40 pounds for it, maybe 50 if i knew for certain i could get the programs to run on a web site.

400 dollars!
I nearly fell off my chair. Sure, for industry some programs could be justified in high prices, but what about normal users - that's over twice what my flippin' pc cost me!

Okay, i see the promise of educational discounts for students. The international sales link was broken, so i took a look at the american one. Still $150. Gah.

As i said before, maybe it was novice's naivety expecting it to be affordable, but even if i could get a student price for the uk, at equivalent to the american cost, it'd still be vastly out of my price range.

And the internet was supposed to be open to everyone?

So what can i do? There's no way i could do everything i'd need to in the next 9 days (cursing myself for wasting so much time not using it), so i guess i see if by some loophole i could get the trial version again, and if so, i could actually use what i created on a site.
But i doubt that'll be happening. Ah well, at least i know to give up now, rather than in 9 days of work's time
: S
Thu 06/12/01 at 15:19
Regular
With the renewed general interest from getting into some html, i went back to my trial version of flash 5, and seeing there were only 9 of the 30 free days left, i went to take a look at buying options.

Now, i guess i was probably pretty naive, but i'd figured it was a nice program, would be pretty easy to learn enough of the ins and outs of it to make movie files, and possibly games at some stage in the future (though that wasn't too important). So, i figured i'd be happy enough to pay 35 or 40 pounds for it, maybe 50 if i knew for certain i could get the programs to run on a web site.

400 dollars!
I nearly fell off my chair. Sure, for industry some programs could be justified in high prices, but what about normal users - that's over twice what my flippin' pc cost me!

Okay, i see the promise of educational discounts for students. The international sales link was broken, so i took a look at the american one. Still $150. Gah.

As i said before, maybe it was novice's naivety expecting it to be affordable, but even if i could get a student price for the uk, at equivalent to the american cost, it'd still be vastly out of my price range.

And the internet was supposed to be open to everyone?

So what can i do? There's no way i could do everything i'd need to in the next 9 days (cursing myself for wasting so much time not using it), so i guess i see if by some loophole i could get the trial version again, and if so, i could actually use what i created on a site.
But i doubt that'll be happening. Ah well, at least i know to give up now, rather than in 9 days of work's time
: S
Thu 06/12/01 at 15:22
Regular
This being the flash cteator package, not the player, obviously.

Oh, and i know, i didn't address where macromedia can shove it ; )
Thu 06/12/01 at 16:36
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
get a crack, i'd send you one, but i'm a bit cautious of my pc at the moment.
Thu 06/12/01 at 17:09
Regular
What is a crack?

Also, i've foun resellers that offer the licence for 35 pounds, the cd-rom for 35 and the manual for about 45 i think.

Does anyone know which of these are absolutely necessary as the bare minimum to use flash?
If i had a licence, could i download flash 5 free, instead of getting the cd?

Cheers
Thu 06/12/01 at 19:19
Have you tried Swish? This is an alternative editor and is brilliant. Try it out: www.swishzone.com.

You can export the finished piece as a .swf file. I personally find this easier to use than Macromedia Flash and it produces brilliant results.

A crack is used to register the software using various means. It is illegal of course to do so.

Hope this helps.
Thu 06/12/01 at 20:10
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
If you know how to use Flash 5 then I wouldn't bother changing to SWISH, although it is good.....and cheaper!! (I tried the Trial Version)
Fri 07/12/01 at 23:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Er, I *really* don't think you should be talking about cracks, especially seeing as this is s PUBLIC forum and SR are probably obliged to give your address to Macrmoedia if they ask for it.

As for the proce, I think it's wholey justified. You obviously can't see the potential and power it has but it really is an inexpressably powerful piece of kit. All those lovey, interactive and pretty sites you see have been done in that very same program. Frankly, if you can't appreciate that it's worth that price twice over you shouldn't be using it. Sorry, but that's really how I feel. Hate it as I do, I have enormous respect for the people at Macromedia, and anyone who can use Flash properly. Get yourself to amaze.com (I think) and see what they've produced there. Now go to flashkit.com and see what you can do there. Now come back here and tell me honestly that Flash isn't worth £500.
Sat 08/12/01 at 19:21
Regular
Okay, i see where you're coming from.

However, on the whole buying theme, swish didn't download properly, but to use flash (legally - i'm paranoid ; ) ), would i just need the licence and a free download (like swish needed) - if so, i'd definitely take it at 35 pounds, especially after seeing some of that work.
Sat 08/12/01 at 20:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You can either buy a box set (probably best) or "unlock" the trial version.
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:02
Regular
Is unlocking the trial version done with getting a licence, so i don't need to buy anything else?

(Financially, getting the whole set isn't really possible right now).

-Reading that again, i don't know if it's that clear -
If I buy a licence, will i be able to unlock the trial version to run like the full product?
(Ie, i only need to buy a licence to use flash)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.