GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Album recommendations?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/07/06 at 00:27
Regular
"Colourless"
Help a brother out :)
Looking to spend some money on improving my CD collection for holidays. Can anyone recommend me some albums?

In fact why don't people just use this thread to review albums....
Thu 13/07/06 at 14:47
Regular
"lets go back"
I think its great and like prety much every song on it.
Thu 13/07/06 at 12:04
Regular
Oh, and the Chili Peppers record is poo.
Thu 13/07/06 at 12:03
Regular
Depends how adventurous you are.

One record I would recommend is Re-Foc by Rodrigo y Gabriella. It's an instrumental record, just two acoustic guitars and the occassional fiddle. I love it, but unless you approach it open mindedly you'll probably think it's too 'world'.

Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever by Explosions In The Sky is another instrumental record, but with drums and electric guitars and things like that. A bit like Mogwai.
Wed 12/07/06 at 22:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'd recommend Adequate Seven - Here on Earth.

Not heard it yet, but will get it soon. Their first album (Songs of Innocnence and Experience) is awesome, and this funk/punk band are great live too. The recent single 'Splitting Up' is a good'un as well.
Wed 12/07/06 at 09:03
Regular
"lets go back"
I thought Master of Puppets was crap so I never bothered to listen to any other Metallica albums
Tue 11/07/06 at 20:19
Regular
"The definitive tag"
All of Metallica's albums are awesome (except St Anger, that wasn't quite so awesome). Buy them.
Tue 11/07/06 at 17:55
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
The Living End - State of Emergency
Quite a good album. Pop-punk-rock that's always pretty upbeat and bouncy, good Summer music, and far more complex and interesting than most things you'd associate with 'pop-punk'.

Atreyu - A Death Grip on Yesterday
Alright for what it is I suppose, but it's nothing very interesting. Sanitised metal with emo influences and some hilariously cliched lyrics in places. I'm sure some people will love it though...

The Autumn Offering - Embrace the Gutter
Quite good this. Mixes the modern hardcore influenced metal with old-school solos to pretty good effect. Can't say what I've heard/seen of the lyrics seems very impressive, but the music itself is pretty cool so I'll let it slide.

The Forecast - In the Shadow of Two Gunmen
Not bad pop-punk album with some country/western influences thrown in. Some very nice duelling male/female vocals in places.

Streetlight Manifesto - Keasby Nights
An alright album, mostly ska-punk, but it's a bit too fast-paced for my liking. The ska bits are hard to keep up with and it can just get a little annoying in places. Alright I suppose, but the ska just feels overly speedy.

Bayside - Acoustic
Actually an alright album. Didn't like their self-titled album much, it was just a bit dull, but the songs seem to work quite well as slower acoustic numbers, and even the token acoustic song on the last album makes an appearance as a live version, and doesn't stick out quite so much as everything else is acoustic too. Better than I expected frankly, still not a must have, but a decent listen.

Marmaduke Duke - The Magnificent Duke
A nice album, featuring one (maybe more?) of the members from Biffy Clyro as well as some other people. Can be a bit strange, not really a concept album as such, but there are three 'types' of songs, catagorized by 'Explodes' (heavier, shoutier songs, probably my favourites), 'Implodes' (slower, softer songs, often sounds very similar to the more restrained moments of Biffy Clyro) and 'Corrodes' (Experimental songs with no vocals). The 1st, 4th, 7th etc tracks are 'Explodes' ones, the 2nd, 5th, 8th, etc 'Impldodes' and the 3rd, 6th, 9th, etc are 'Corrodes'. This means the album is very broken up and doesn't really flow like a normal album, but it is a very interesting listen nonetheless and has some good songs.

Propagandhi - Potemkin City Limits
A good album here, politicised lyrics in nearly all the songs while the music is very good too. There's almost no verse-chorus-verse structures here, the music and lyrics just naturally evolving with each other. I guess it's melodic hardcore/punk, but the lack of predictable song structures and the bitter, angry and sometimes despairing lyrics and vocals really set this out.
Mon 10/07/06 at 19:03
Regular
"lets go back"
I dont know what type of music you like so it makes it hard to give any suggestions but I'll give it a go.

Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Its a double album so you get 27 or 28 (I think) songs so you're bound to like some of them.

Robot Hive/Exodus - Clutch

I love this album. Its Hard Rock, nothing too heavy. Not as heavy as Metalica for example. Its great though.

Show and Tell - Silvertide

Rock again, but more "pop-esq". Its got an ACDC vibe on a couple of the songs with the guitars but with more of a modern rock vocal.
Mon 10/07/06 at 00:27
Regular
"Colourless"
Help a brother out :)
Looking to spend some money on improving my CD collection for holidays. Can anyone recommend me some albums?

In fact why don't people just use this thread to review albums....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.