GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has PS2 underachieved since its launch??"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/12/01 at 14:15
Regular
Hey im just interested in hearing everyones opinion on whether they feel let down by the ps2 since its launch. I got a ps2 as soon as it came out here in U.K and though there weren't that many good launch games i just thought that would be becasue the console had just launched. Over a year later and in my opinion there are only a handful of games that i would consider buying for the ps2. I understand that there are now a lot of good games coming out for christmas but i cant help feeling that the ps2 has not matched up to my expectations. What do you all think?
Thu 16/12/10 at 18:19
Regular
Hi Paul, I'm Ok for that, cheers Si
Thu 16/12/10 at 15:15
Evenin.........

Who fancies a daytime ride on Weds 29th December to burn off that Xmas pud?
We could do a localish one setting off at 9am.

What are your thoughts?
Thu 06/12/01 at 17:42
sPiKe2k wrote:
> I have been very pleased with my ps2 since launch, sure there was a lakc of
> games but every console only has a few must-have games at launch, since the
> price drop people have no reason to not own a PS2, we are now getting the AAA
> titles coming out, if the ps2 has done anything it has impressed and acheived
> what it set out to do, 20 million consoles worldwide already sold proves it
> without a shadow of a doubt, there is no better time to buy a ps2, because its
> going to be around for a good few years yet!

i totaly agree!
Thu 06/12/01 at 17:36
sPiKe2k wrote:
> I have been very pleased with my ps2 since launch, sure there was a lakc of
> games but every console only has a few must-have games at launch, since the
> price drop people have no reason to not own a PS2, we are now getting the AAA
> titles coming out, if the ps2 has done anything it has impressed and acheived
> what it set out to do, 20 million consoles worldwide already sold proves it
> without a shadow of a doubt, there is no better time to buy a ps2, because its
> going to be around for a good few years yet!

I totaly agree!
Thu 06/12/01 at 13:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
kuja32 wrote:
> is it true that nintendo are gonna bring out a gc that can play dvd i read about
> it in a mates nintendo magazine

Indeed... Panasonic are releasing a DVD player with a GC inside (It's branded as Panasonic with 4 controller ports and a tiny GCN logo on it)... rather sexy chrome beast if i do say so myself... The bad news... It won't be launched out side of Japan...EVER!!
Thu 06/12/01 at 13:41
Regular
It is produced my Matsushita and sold under the Panasonic brand name. It's unlikely that it will be released outside of Japan unless there is enough demand.
Thu 06/12/01 at 13:39
is it true that nintendo are gonna bring out a gc that can play dvd i read about it in a mates nintendo magazine
Thu 06/12/01 at 13:36
Regular
Depends on what you expected the PS2 to be..........

I bought a games console which was also compatible with DVD video........

I haven't been disappointed because it plays games and DVDs.........
Thu 06/12/01 at 13:34
thats a good point and id rather wait for ffX and MGS2 then have had them at launch when they could have been rushed. By the way which next gen console do u think had the best launch and why??
Thu 06/12/01 at 13:27
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
kuja32 wrote:
> If the ps2 was in development then for that amount of years what is sonys excuse
> for not having an A list line of title becasue i think we have to agree that
> there was the odd launch game that was good and that was dissapointing

The hardware wasn't finalised until 1998 which only gave developers 18 months to produce the titles, as is the case with most consoles... If they were to finalise the hrdware too early, the machine would be fairly obsolete before it was launched and developers tend to want to produce the games on finalised hardware though there are some cases where the Dev Kits get finalised before the console.

The XBOX has a fairly good line up for launch, but the it's all based around OpenGL meaning games firms had loads of time to create the games before the hardware was even in existence as being in Open Source, it makes things easier to port and undate.

The N64's launch list was total crap apart form Mario64, which redefined the platform game genre and was totally original, and unmathed untill know (Jax and Daxter) But it did take almost 5 years to create! Almost as long as the console its self!!

Producing games is very expensive, even more so than producing a movie... Would you want to waste your time producing a title on un finalised hardware only to have to go back and start again when it is finalised?

Some companies close to Sony such as Namco, Square and their in-house firms have played with the hardware since it's conception and had plenty of chances to rush out appz but why bother... Look at FFX and MGS2, these could have been ready for launch, but why launch it early when you can gurantee a killer ap by delaying it a little longer to mater the hardware instead of just getting by with what you know at launch?

As for the PS2's launch list... I still have SSX and Timesplitters and would count these as PS2 classics as well as being "exlusives" at the time. And I'm quite happy waiting for my AAA titles over the next year!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.