GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When games begin to take over your mind . . ."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/03/03 at 20:15
Regular
When games begin to take over your mind, and the real world becomes blanked out as your concentration builds and you become ever more focused on the game, is your brain really affected? What about the "square eyes" wives tale when you play for too long, or play too close to the screen?

Lets go back to that first rhetorical question, the one about gaming affecting the brain. Does it really happen? How do games affect the brain? Maybe so. When you react to games in such a way that it becomes physical, then yes, I suppose it does. When your deep into a good FPS, and the phone rings, and you don't notice it until it stops, deeply engrossed in your favourite game.

A lot of people, when talking about reactions in gaming, refer to how quickly you pull the trigger on the light gun, or press the fire button on the controller after some sort of creature or a guard steps in front of you, ripe for the blastin'! But what about the other sort of reaction? What about when you've been playing one particular level for ages, trying to suss out a really difficult puzzle, and your temperature starts to rise as you get ideas of not being able to complete it again. The same old creature jumps at you from the same corner as before and kills you as before, and you slam the controller down onto the floor, scream at the telly, and, in worse cases, damage your console without realising it. You feel nothing, then when you cool down, your hand feels like a lobster has been greeting you. That reaction, the good ol' bad temper in front of the telly is computer rage, and happens a lot when I play! So, let me win if any of you ever play me over the web! Please?!

And, of course, there are other reactions, like the ones powered by adrenaline. Things like fear, readiness and excitement. Sometimes these are fuelled by the pleasure of winning a game, or completing a level that you have been stuck on for ages. Maybe that was the wrong example, because you generally feel relieved when you finish a level like that, rather than excited of fearful. Completing a level like that usually fills you with glee and the urge to carry on playing the game to se what's next, because you have waited so long, even though you haven't actually waited, you've been struggling to reach that point. A better example of a point in a game where you feel like you are filled with adrenaline is a fast-paced game, or a scary one. Games like Resident Evil or Eternal Darkness are the best examples I can think of which might bring up a slight tinge of fear in your eyes.

The reaction that these games cause is basically, jumping or doing something in fear. But how can you be afraid of a game? Why does it happen? It's only a console with a disc in it, and a picture on the screen of the telly and some sounds coming from the speakers for Christ's sake! What is there to be scared of? The reason this reaction happens is because you get so involved in a game, it just seems to be happening, you seem to be there, and you feel the need to either warn the character, or react in some other with the feeling that the character IS you! Strange, but for some reason, it seems to be true in a lot of cases.

Maybe those reasons are proof to show that games do indeed affect our brains, but not in the ways that many people say they will. Sure, they may influence the younger generation, but I doubt it. And another point to raise, does continuous gaming affect the way we see the world? If it does, how does it differ between someone who plays a wide range of games and a person who only plays their one favourite game, or someone who will only play one genre of game? Lets hear your views.

Thanks for reading
Happy days
Twain
Thu 24/07/03 at 02:06
Regular
I am a strong believer of the depression affect. I have major "downers" and I really do feel very low at times. When I don't go to the gym or play football within the same day I feel angry and down. Depression is something that builds over time though which is what I am worried about. I have gotten considerably more angry and very negative about the majority of things in life. I am not saying that computer games are to blame for this but surely 3 + hour marathon gaming sessions with guns, horror and generally negative subjects has an affect on your mind. It would be stupid to think otherwise.

I don't play games as much as I used to though and I do try to get down to the gym every other day and play football within a similar time scale.

Should have a job by tomorrow though as I go for yet ANOTHER interview.
Mon 21/07/03 at 02:03
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Garr wrote:
> Playing computer games causes psychosis, derealisation and depression.
> Feelings off false realities, clouded perception e.t.c

Get real man, stop quoting from American health papers
Sun 25/05/03 at 21:12
Regular
i played alien vs predator 2 for a few hours and got kicked out of my house for headbiting the dog.
Thu 22/05/03 at 18:04
Regular
"8==="
The I played burnout and ran over his dead corpse. Then I played the sims and well what i did next is just to sick too mention.
Thu 22/05/03 at 18:02
Regular
"8==="
They do take over your mind. I played goldeneye then I shot the postman.
I'm out now though. nehee neha
Thu 22/05/03 at 10:02
"I love yo... lamp."
I have never experienced any of those things. I went on a coach trip abroad years ago. I sat and played Tetris non stop for nearly 30 hours. And I never saw it in my sleep. Some people may be succeptible to having their mind affected by games, but I am not. And I think when you are, you need to take a break and get a grip on reality again.
Thu 22/05/03 at 04:19
Regular
Playing computer games causes psychosis, derealisation and depression. Feelings off false realities, clouded perception e.t.c
Sat 29/03/03 at 13:24
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
pb wrote:
> How many times have you walked down the street thinking "Hey,
> this is like that game", I know I have. Tetris is a prime
> example, when it first came out many people complained that they saw
> tetris in their sleep after playing it for so long. It was an
> addictive game too, and addiction comes from your brain needing more
> of the thing you are addicted to.

Yeah, playing games is like smoking. You develop a craving for it, and ideas and thoughts start to brew up in your mind. There are some times, usually when I'm alone, when I'll start to daydream and a game will pop into my mind and I'll react depending on what I'm dreaming about. Usually my reaction is just a little twitch, though!

> Even when you have played some games for a short while, your brain
> will still make connections with the real world, and as games try to
> become more realistic you will find more things to connect it with the
> world outside the game.

This is when you start to notice similarities between the real world and games. It'd be great if your school looked like the fish factory in GTA3. How satisfying that'd be when you get to the mission where you have to blow it up!
Sat 29/03/03 at 12:50
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Parr wrote:
> Great post mate. I can see what you did when your PC was broke . . .

Yeah, at least it passed the time. Thank god I have two PCs, otherwise I would've been bored stiff!
Sat 29/03/03 at 11:00
"possibly impossible"
Gaming does affect the way you think and things you think of. The thing is, there are so many different aspects of this that it's impossible to give it justice in a short reply like this one.

How many times have you walked down the street thinking "Hey, this is like that game", I know I have. Tetris is a prime example, when it first came out many people complained that they saw tetris in their sleep after playing it for so long. It was an addictive game too, and addiction comes from your brain needing more of the thing you are addicted to.

Even when you have played some games for a short while, your brain will still make connections with the real world, and as games try to become more realistic you will find more things to connect it with the world outside the game.

It's like TV. How many children played their favorite TV characters in the playground at school? That's influence from television, however small. Now if TV, a fairly non-interactive medium, can do that, think of what the interactive world of gaming can do.

Gaming may not be the cause of people going out in to the streets with shotguns, it may not even be the cause of 'square eyes', but it certainly has some sort of affect on your mind, otherwise people wouldn't like it so much and Sony et al wouldn't be selling so many consoles!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.