GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When games begin to take over your mind . . ."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/03/03 at 20:15
Regular
When games begin to take over your mind, and the real world becomes blanked out as your concentration builds and you become ever more focused on the game, is your brain really affected? What about the "square eyes" wives tale when you play for too long, or play too close to the screen?

Lets go back to that first rhetorical question, the one about gaming affecting the brain. Does it really happen? How do games affect the brain? Maybe so. When you react to games in such a way that it becomes physical, then yes, I suppose it does. When your deep into a good FPS, and the phone rings, and you don't notice it until it stops, deeply engrossed in your favourite game.

A lot of people, when talking about reactions in gaming, refer to how quickly you pull the trigger on the light gun, or press the fire button on the controller after some sort of creature or a guard steps in front of you, ripe for the blastin'! But what about the other sort of reaction? What about when you've been playing one particular level for ages, trying to suss out a really difficult puzzle, and your temperature starts to rise as you get ideas of not being able to complete it again. The same old creature jumps at you from the same corner as before and kills you as before, and you slam the controller down onto the floor, scream at the telly, and, in worse cases, damage your console without realising it. You feel nothing, then when you cool down, your hand feels like a lobster has been greeting you. That reaction, the good ol' bad temper in front of the telly is computer rage, and happens a lot when I play! So, let me win if any of you ever play me over the web! Please?!

And, of course, there are other reactions, like the ones powered by adrenaline. Things like fear, readiness and excitement. Sometimes these are fuelled by the pleasure of winning a game, or completing a level that you have been stuck on for ages. Maybe that was the wrong example, because you generally feel relieved when you finish a level like that, rather than excited of fearful. Completing a level like that usually fills you with glee and the urge to carry on playing the game to se what's next, because you have waited so long, even though you haven't actually waited, you've been struggling to reach that point. A better example of a point in a game where you feel like you are filled with adrenaline is a fast-paced game, or a scary one. Games like Resident Evil or Eternal Darkness are the best examples I can think of which might bring up a slight tinge of fear in your eyes.

The reaction that these games cause is basically, jumping or doing something in fear. But how can you be afraid of a game? Why does it happen? It's only a console with a disc in it, and a picture on the screen of the telly and some sounds coming from the speakers for Christ's sake! What is there to be scared of? The reason this reaction happens is because you get so involved in a game, it just seems to be happening, you seem to be there, and you feel the need to either warn the character, or react in some other with the feeling that the character IS you! Strange, but for some reason, it seems to be true in a lot of cases.

Maybe those reasons are proof to show that games do indeed affect our brains, but not in the ways that many people say they will. Sure, they may influence the younger generation, but I doubt it. And another point to raise, does continuous gaming affect the way we see the world? If it does, how does it differ between someone who plays a wide range of games and a person who only plays their one favourite game, or someone who will only play one genre of game? Lets hear your views.

Thanks for reading
Happy days
Twain
Sat 17/07/04 at 18:16
Regular
"Nocturne"
vanessa wrote:
> Buck1 wrote:
> Games can be bad i know that for a fact
>
> THey can be on your mind like a drug but who cares About you playing
> a gama half your life
>
Sat 17/07/04 at 18:15
Regular
"Nocturne"
vanessa wrote:
> Strafio wrote:
> pb wrote:
> How many times have you walked down the street thinking "Hey,
> this is like that game",
>
> You know, that's how I know I've really stepped down on my gaming
> dosage.
> Once upon a time, EVERYWHERE was a potential games level, whether it
> be running and jumping across rooftops, or having gunfights.
>
> And ofcourse, after hours of Goldeneye, everytime you saw a camera
> you just wanted to shoot it! ;-)
>
>
Sat 17/07/04 at 18:14
Regular
"Nocturne"
vanessa wrote:
> Strafio wrote:
> pb wrote:
>
> dosage.
>
>

>
Sat 17/07/04 at 18:13
Regular
"Nocturne"
vanessa wrote:
> Buck1 wrote:
>
> a gama half your life

true
Thu 15/07/04 at 18:43
Regular
"Nocturne"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> i played alien vs predator 2 for a few hours and got kicked out of my
> house for headbiting the dog.
that was funny !
Tue 13/07/04 at 16:51
Regular
"Nocturne"
Buck1 wrote:
>
> a gama half your life
games are better than poxy boring reality im gonna play far cry know
Tue 13/07/04 at 16:48
Regular
"Nocturne"
Strafio wrote:
> pb wrote:
>
> dosage.
>
I even dream about games i am fixated on finishing them and carnt wait to get home and lose myself in the fantasy!!
Sat 13/03/04 at 22:23
Regular
"Drinks Sunny Deligh"
Wow, Shocktrooper and now Game?!?! Wowwwww
Sat 13/03/04 at 22:20
"I love yo... lamp."
I bet you don't even remember me at all!
Sat 13/03/04 at 21:41
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah. Life got in the way. Good to see you. ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.