GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Plain Text Problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/11/10 at 11:44
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Hi, Mrs WBG here.
I'm trying to upload pics and text from a site (I have permission) but in spite of doing what's required on text editor I'm unable to get beyond the HTML script.
I found a site which gives a 'shortcut' to plain text but one is required to access function.phpfiles on the Active Theme Directory of your site (freeola).
I emailed freeola help who replied that they didn't have such a thing and couldn't advise where to find out.
I could return to the site but thought I'd ask here first as you've always kept me on the straight and narrow,so to speak!
Tue 23/11/10 at 11:44
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Hi, Mrs WBG here.
I'm trying to upload pics and text from a site (I have permission) but in spite of doing what's required on text editor I'm unable to get beyond the HTML script.
I found a site which gives a 'shortcut' to plain text but one is required to access function.phpfiles on the Active Theme Directory of your site (freeola).
I emailed freeola help who replied that they didn't have such a thing and couldn't advise where to find out.
I could return to the site but thought I'd ask here first as you've always kept me on the straight and narrow,so to speak!
Tue 23/11/10 at 12:11
"Are you sure?"
I'm a bit confused with your question! :¬P

Do you just want to 'capture' the text and not the HTML code for a web page?

If you do just select the required text and copy it, then paste into a text editor like notepad. This will strip out all the code just leaving you with the text. You can then copy the text from notepad and paste it as required.

But I'm not sure if that's what you mean... :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Fri 26/11/10 at 02:26
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Well,Notepad just ain't doing it for me.
I've managed to download file from website onto IE & in My docs. via coffeecup,but I can't get any further with it.

In fact,the files I want are short videos with text.The bare bones of the text are there but images all with redX. and one line showing error.
I feel I'm out of my depth.I've been back to the site of download(BBCwebsite) and read through a lot of their bumf but couldn't find anything relating to my problem.
Help
Fri 26/11/10 at 09:09
"Are you sure?"
Welsh Blagging Git wrote:
... Help

As I said earlier - I'm not too sure on what you are asking?!

The red Xs are showing broken images.

Capturing video from sites opens up different problems - you can't save them by saving the web page.

Are you saying the BBC are giving you permission to download their web content and re-publish it on your site?
Sounds strange to me...

If you are trying to save more than text from a web page then you can use the browser 'File, Save As' option and choose 'Web page complete' (still won't work for BBC video etc.") or use tools such as HTTrack.com to save complete/partial sites.

Some more info would help me; but perhaps others can tell what you are asking...

Fri 26/11/10 at 18:56
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
.The BBC Digital Revolution LicenceThis BBC Digital Revolution Licence enables You to use and distribute Works in the ways and on the terms set out in this Licence. Use of the Work by You will be treated as acceptance of this Licence.

All capitalised terms are defined in Clause 1 below. The singular includes the plural and vice versa, unless the context otherwise requires. This Licence is between:

The ‘Licensor' (the entity offering the Work under the terms and conditions of this Licence)

and

'You' (a private individual or member of an authorised educational establishment or authorised charity)

agree as follows:

The files I'm trying to download are short video clips with text from BBC Headroom 'Mental Health'.
Each clip has instructions re embedding and I think I've said I've succeeded in getting one clip onto IE but with just the bare bones of explanatory text plus the red crosses---which I realise means the pics are fragmented.
I just don't know where to go from here.
Fri 26/11/10 at 20:26
"Are you sure?"
I am trying to help but it's not easy when I couldn't tell what you are after! :¬P ...and remember I'm the only one that's making an effort!

To embed BBC Video just click the EMBED button on the video and copy the code.

Then paste the code in your InstantPro page.

My tip to position the code is to type something in 'normal' view in the editor i.e. 'zzzzzzzzz' then click the HTML button and replace 'zzzzzzzzz' with the code.

You can do this as many times as you need.

Here's my demo page I've created for you: InstantPro with BBC video

To add text use my earlier tip and to add images you'll have to save the image from the BBC site and add it to your site as normal.

Hope that helps :¬)
Fri 26/11/10 at 21:51
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
I really,really appreciate all the info and help you're giving me especially as you're the only one who's prepared to help!
You've certainly given me lots to work on and I'm beginning to regain my enthusiasm for the task!
Thanks again.
Sat 27/11/10 at 18:17
"Are you sure?"
Hi WBG, thanks for that.
(I always wonder if you would be better changing your profile name to 'WBG' as it sounds better for this family forum?!)

I'm glad I've been able to help a bit.

Your "Plain Text Problem" post seems rather different than that in the end, but I'm pleased we've made some progress :¬)

If you get stuck again just ask...
Tue 30/11/10 at 21:29
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Do you mean because I post as Mrs.WBG ?
If so,that because I AM Mrs WBG !!
I'm trying to get a website up and running for WBG ;once I've done so,he will be on his own and I shall gracefully bow out!!

I've downloaded HTTrack and attempted a 'mirroring' (? ) but thought I'm informed my effort's been successful, I'm unable to locate it on our site!!
Tue 30/11/10 at 21:42
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Or do you mean because the profile name is Welsh Blagging Git?
Surely not! Are you saying that families living in the year 2010 are going to take offence at such an inoffensive word? Exactly what sort of families use this forum?
As an aside,it was our daughter who gave her Dad the title and,as she's no longer with us,we've kept the nickname.
I must admit to being rendered speechless if your objection is based on that term.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.