GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gran Turismo here we come!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 5'.
Sat 20/11/10 at 16:33
"possibly impossible"
So, it's finally coming. Pre-ordered copies will be landing on doormats from Monday.

It's been a long wait too, more delays than the UK railway system and set backs made it seem like we'd never see it. But shops have now got copies behind the shelves safely waiting.

So, who else is looking forward to the game? Are you worried about the 5-10GB install? What are you doing to prepare?
Fri 26/11/10 at 15:17
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Getting the BMW through A-4 at Monza is like trying to drive a box on wheels. Just got the Gold.
Fri 26/11/10 at 14:57
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've got gold in the first 2 licenses. I had trouble with 1 event in the 2nd license where you drive a BMW through the Schumacher S's at the Nurburgring. Trying to find 6 thousandths of a second is not fun.
Fri 26/11/10 at 14:34
Regular
"Monochromatic"
How is everyone getting on with the licences? I've done the B Licence and got gold in 7 tests but B-5, B-6 and B-7 Golds are just beyond me.
Thu 25/11/10 at 14:36
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Haven't spent too much time on it yet but I've not been too impressed so far, visually there is little improvement on Prologue and it's got the same menu system.

Anyone fancy a time trial challenge? I might setup a thread for that when I get home.
Thu 25/11/10 at 13:52
Regular
"And in last place.."
CheekyLee wrote:
Little things like that that really could have been avoided are what is stopping this being perfect.

And It's those little things that they have had plenty of time to iron out as well.
Thu 25/11/10 at 12:43
Regular
"Short Attention Sp"
This should really have been called Gran Turismo HD. Because, it feels almost exactly like the first game all over again. In both good and bad ways, as it happens. The WOW factor from the original is there, but the ridiculous faffing about back and forth in menus is also there. If I can't enter a race in my go-kart, then why not just take me straight to the car selection screen instead of making me go to the garage myself? Little things like that that really could have been avoided are what is stopping this being perfect.

Oh, and no online leaderboards? Are you kidding me? (Probably for the best, at the moment, since online itself is causing even single player to stall for minutes at a time!)
Wed 24/11/10 at 17:27
Regular
"Monochromatic"
OK got it, probably won't have the time to play it until Friday.
Wed 24/11/10 at 15:20
Regular
"Short Attention Sp"
The menu system was seemingly designed by Copernicus, and it may well have been cutting edge in his day but it just feels wrong now.

Karts are awesome. Camper Vans are not!

Pre-installation is pretty much mandatory, in my opinion. Within an hour of playing the game I am already fed up of the long waits as every single thing installs in between races. About half my playtime so far has been sitting there waiting. Also, it took far too long setting things up before I was allowed to just ... you know ... race?

Other than that, though, the game itself is obviously superb. Honestly, I could not let any one of my complaints reflect on my enjoyment, because they are all just irrelevant. Everything I wanted it to be, it is. I can live with a shockingly bad menu system, because all that will ever be is something I do before the actual fun bit. I care about the fun bit quite a lot more than I do the dull bit. And PD got the fun bit PERFECT.
Wed 24/11/10 at 10:35
"possibly impossible"
Played enough last night to have a fair opinion on it.

So far the menus are shockingly bad for a game so long in development. I can see what they were trying for but it feels very clunky.

Handling, physics, the races themselves and the Kart racing are perfect, more so than any other GT game before it. The Arcade mode is accessible but probably not as fun as a proper arcade racer. This is a game for car enthusiasts though, people looking for a quick race without car setup and knowing your Gear Ratios will probably find it lacking the usual thrill. Those same enthusiasts will probably forgive the menu system the way they forgive a Haynes manual's single minded focus.
Tue 23/11/10 at 23:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
My mate had his on Saturday (don't know where he ordered it from),said he is totally underwhelmed by it so far.Perhaps after waiting forever its simply a case that he expected too much from it ?,can't really comment further as I haven't played it myself.Can't see me buying a PS3 just for this TBH.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.