GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Many books would make great games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/11/01 at 14:11
Regular
At the present moment in time, I quite enjoy reading Fantasy books. I am really into David Gemmell's 'Drenai' series, and I am really hooked on the books.

There are hundreds of other brilliant fantasy books out there. From the extremely popular Discworld books, to the much less known books by authors like Tamora Pierce, fantasy books are almost always compelling and fun to read.

The main thing which I would like to see appear in gaming, is games from books. It has happened with Terry Pratchet's Discworld books, but with effort from renowned developers like Square and Nintendo, great books could be made into extremely good games.

Picture this: David Gemmell's Drenai Series, fleshed out into stunning 3D, in a series of about 3 or 4 games. If they were expertly crafted by Square or Nintendo, they could prove to be games of Zelda proportions; except have an amazing storyline and great, characters, who develop as the story goes along.

Fantasy books, in my opinion, are the best type of literature, and with them, the greatest in role-playing or action games could be made. It is a great idea, and a shame that it hasn't happened, and with half hearted attempts like the Harry Potter 'games', the situation on this front looks bleak.

However, if developers take note, fame could come in the form of a contract from a fantasy book author.

Lets just hope that it does happen; It would touch my heart.
Fri 30/11/01 at 17:02
Regular
"es argh"
If the wizard of Oz was released now I'm almost positive that there would be a game for it.
Fri 30/11/01 at 16:49
Regular
"¬_¬"
Jim Cricket wrote:
> How about The Wizard Of Oz, come on imagine it, you could beat up the lion after
> he lost a fight, or you could give the witch a DDT into water. It can be
> called...Er...The Wizard Of Oz.

The Wizard of Oz would make a good game, but a wrestling game? That is certainly a novel perspective, but I don't like wrestling.
Fri 30/11/01 at 16:48
Regular
"¬_¬"
perhaps you only needed a 4mb. My dad's old computer only had a 4 kb computer!!!
Fri 30/11/01 at 16:47
Regular
"es argh"
How about The Wizard Of Oz, come on imagine it, you could beat up the lion after he lost a fight, or you could give the witch a DDT into water. It can be called...Er...The Wizard Of Oz.
Fri 30/11/01 at 16:46
Regular
"Not your monkey"
FantasyMeister wrote:
...a 486SX with 16MB RAM and a 4GB hard drive

A 486 with 4GB hard disk? Flippin 'eck mine had about 400mb at the very most! (dont remember exactly)
Fri 30/11/01 at 16:43
Regular
"¬_¬"
Book-games are a good idea, because it means they're likely to have a great storyline, and saves a lot of R&D time for the developers.
Fri 30/11/01 at 15:15
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i would love to see a full 7 part game (7 disks) based on lord of the rings. (the book)

Be amazing especially if the gameplay was non linear.
Fri 30/11/01 at 14:45
wrote:
> The problem with Betrayal at Krondor is that it is in fact a book based on a game !! The PC game for this came out and Feist wrote the book based on that.

However I agree fully that the other 'real' Feist books would be great games.
Fri 30/11/01 at 14:42
Regular
"I confused?"
I try and keep away from the books in to games and book into films and films in to games coz theye are often very bad for example harry book book=good film=bad. The film was too long long and it made death very tempting in deed.
Fri 30/11/01 at 14:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga is quite good, 'Magician', 'Silverthorn' and 'A Darkness at Sethanon' make up the trilogy.

A few years back the PC game 'Betrayal at Krondor' was released (it ran on a 486SX with 16MB RAM and a 4GB hard drive, those were the days) and was VERY true to the books, with the same characters, towns and landscapes being depicted. Feist said in the introduction to it in the manual that it was a game that helped to fill in the time between 'Silverthorn' and 'A Darkness at Sethanon'.

So there's always hope that if Feist can get his work converted into a game, then Gemmel can too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.