GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't listen to the negative hype - XBox IS amazing"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/11/01 at 13:59
Regular
I am a strong Nintendo fan, and since the XBox was revealed, I did sucker for the negative hype. I was quite anti-Microsoft at the time, and severely hoped they'd get pushed around in the console wars. Look at the machine, I would tell my mates, it is bigger than a VCR.

However, recently, I have found that the Xbox is starting to look quite good. It started after reading in 'Edge', that one reporter had stated that Dead or Alive 3 was the best fighting game ever. I was intrigued, and had gone to IGN to get more info. After ogling at some screenshots and downloading a movie, I was convinced that it did look really good. So, I started looking at examples of other software, and they all looked extremely good.

I was no longer anti-XBox, I was quite pro-XBox in fact; the games looked very good, and the technical specifications were staggering. I was still a Nintendo fan, but my views had changed, and I had now decided to get both GameCube and XBox, a big decision since only a few months beforehand I would never had dreamed of it.

The XBox would be guaranteed to be big; with the right advertising campaign and a good launch line-up, I think XBox will be to the next-gen console race what the PSone was to the last-gen.

So people, if you are anti-XBox, search the web for XBox information. It ISN'T bad, and is staggeringly better than the PS2 in terms of specifications and software line-up. I really think it will be great, and give my advice to unfortunate gamers out there who hate Microsoft. The Dreamcast was great, but with negative hype it failed. I am trying now to get rid of the XBox's negative hype, because it really would be a shame to see it fall like Sega's last console.

Punters aren't fools, so listen to the XBox's claims of glory, and take heed of the rumour-mill.

I rest my case.
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
tcook51839 wrote:
are only US sales figures, which will be it's biggest market......

NOT TRUE!!!!

In the last 3 or 4 years the European market has been the biggest (must be the huge profit margins!).

Which is why ninty are stupid to ignore us!

Sonic
Wed 12/12/01 at 11:55
Regular
"MSR Rules"
I dont want to get into a pi****g contest but on IGN.com they have an article titled "X-box is winning".
In this article it stated that although the GC outsold the X-box 2 to 1 in it's first week, the X-box has pulled ahead since. These are only US sales figures, which will be it's biggest market, but it goes to show that it is not the flop a lot of people think or hope.

Long live the X-box.
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
½pint wrote:

You seem to be mistaken.
> GameCube sold all of its 700,000 consoles on launch in America, but XBox only
> sold 300,000 (there were only 300,000) And as for the GC having no killer apps?
> Look at Star Wars Rogue Leader. It absolutely rocks, and is the best Star Wars
> game ever. You may think that you aren't anti-microsoft like many other people,
> but it seems that you are anti Nintendo.

I'm still not too sure about those figures... it seems very suspect that the 700,000 is worldwide, but then again, I could be severely wrong...

Anyway, back to the killer apps...
Rogue leader looks amazing! But, have you played it????? Can you say to me that it is as revolutionary as Mario 64 was when that first came out, or is it just an extremely good version of another game? Mario pushed the barriers, making the first truely 3D game...

As for Halo, it really does push the boundries. Revolutionary control, and design, as well as the expected graphics. And it's coming out on the PC... so???? The PC is a completely different market to the console market... if the game was coming out on the PS2 then I would have to admit that the game wasn't such a big deal for xbox as I have been saying... but it's not!

As for being anti-Ninty... I've probably owned several Ninty consoles... more than any other in fact, and am simply pointing out that after the disaster that was the N64 (and YES it was a complete disaster when compared to Playstation), that Ninty must get its act together, especially when put up against such big competitors.

Sonic
Sat 08/12/01 at 17:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
would Zelda be as playable on a PC - and X-Box, though it may last for 5 years, by the end would look crap - a PC dosen't magilcy disappear when it is out of date - you can still play the games that are at its level - the PSOne now is out of date - So's my PC, but I don't need to upgrade it
as I can still play many many games on it - The PC may cost more, but you are getting more bang for your buck.

Narrow minded fool - I shall ignore this newbie.
Wed 05/12/01 at 11:06
Cyclone wrote:

Halo
> got 10/10 - so? Zelda got 10/10 - it may not be a launch, but hwat did all the
> other titles get? Is Halo exclusive? Will it look better on a killer rig PC -
> YES!

But the point is that an Xbox may cost you £300 or so, and last about 3-5 years, whereas a "killer rig PC" might cost you upwards of £1250 and be out-of-date in 6 months - you do the math.
Tue 04/12/01 at 14:00
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
would zelda look better on a killer pc YES, so that argument was a pointless one u naroow minded fool.
Mon 03/12/01 at 21:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Zelda and Mario kiddy? You discredited your whole statement with this!

Halo got 10/10 - so? Zelda got 10/10 - it may not be a launch, but hwat did all the other titles get? Is Halo exclusive? Will it look better on a killer rig PC - YES!

Mario may be a series, but it innovates every time, unlike say Crash Bandicoot. New games are also arriving - Pikmen, Star Fox- Dinosaur planet and others.

HA!
Mon 03/12/01 at 17:05
Regular
"¬_¬"
SonicRav wrote:
>The GC has no AAA killer, must-have game in its line up!
>As for the GC outselling the xbox by a long way...
>yes, it has double the number of sales. In
>America? NO!

You seem to be mistaken. GameCube sold all of its 700,000 consoles on launch in America, but XBox only sold 300,000 (there were only 300,000) And as for the GC having no killer apps? Look at Star Wars Rogue Leader. It absolutely rocks, and is the best Star Wars game ever. You may think that you aren't anti-microsoft like many other people, but it seems that you are anti Nintendo.
Sun 02/12/01 at 15:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Cyclone wrote:
> Based on the launch line up of X-Box, it looks crap - Halo is out on PC shortly
> and GameCube has outsold X-Box by a long way in the US.

Ummm... not all true. The launch games on xbox have been said by any credible magazine/site to be FAR better than the launch games on the GC. Halo got 10/10 from EDGE for God's sake... only a handfull of games have ever done that! The GC has no AAA killer, must-have game in its line up!

As for the GC outselling the xbox by a long way... yes, it has double the number of sales. In America? NO! In the world... GC has launched in 2 continents, x box in only one. And the GC has been out longer in japan than it has been in america. So, in fact, the consoles are both showing excellent sales, demonstrating that they are focusing on different markets, and are both great consoles.

The negative hype was
> centred on the N64 before - a great console - I have not played an X-Box, but I
> am sticking with Nintendo, as I KNOW they make amazing games - X-Box just seems
> to have sewquels of games that came out on other consoles - yes GC does as well,
> but its exclusive games are AMAZING!

Well, it could be said that almost all the Ninty games are either sequals (Marios, Zeldas etc), or very kiddy ;)

Sonic
Sun 02/12/01 at 15:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Based on the launch line up of X-Box, it looks crap - Halo is out on PC shortly and GameCube has outsold X-Box by a long way in the US. The negative hype was centred on the N64 before - a great console - I have not played an X-Box, but I am sticking with Nintendo, as I KNOW they make amazing games - X-Box just seems to have sewquels of games that came out on other consoles - yes GC does as well, but its exclusive games are AMAZING!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.