GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solid Snake - Gaming Personality of the Year"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty'.
Sat 05/04/03 at 22:01
Regular
It seems that every time I play Metal Gear Solid 2 I can't help but to be amazed at how one character can aid a gaming experience. Rather like 'The Rock' with the WWE it seems that the presence of Solid Snake just makes my gaming experience so much more enjoyable and satisfying. There wasn't really anybody more disappointed to find out that Snake had been dropped for Raiden for the second part of Metal Gear Solid 2, however thanks to Metal Gear Solid: Substance I can now cooperate with Solid Snake on the 'Big Shell'!

As a character his personality shines through at almost every moment in the game and thanks to the graphical advancements over the original Metal Gear Solid on the PSONE he gradually becomes a part of your life whilst playing through Metal Gear Solid 2. There aren't many gaming characters which manage to have a screen presence which actually affects the way the game is played however with Solid Snake I can't think of a better example. Rather like a father figure I seem to admire the way he moves and the way he manages to get himself out of almost any situation.

From the original Metal Gear Solid game back in the early nineties it was hard to tell how Solid Snake would turn out as a character however over 10 years on from the Nintendo original his personality shines through like light through a dark cloud. One of the hardest achievements in gaming must be the addition of a personality to a character that acts like a closed book for the majority of the time. Understanding Solid Snake as a character is complex as he usually speaks very little about his past and about why he chose to join the Foxhound program.

The voice of Solid Snake comes from a man known as David Hayter who also provides the voice of the narrator in Eternal Darkness (Nintendo GameCube) and some top Hollywood movies. Throughout all of the voices that could have been I don't think that they could have chosen a better match between Snake's personality and his attitude towards life. At times he can be slick and witty yet at others he sounds resolute and very enclosed. Solid Snake seems like a character which a psychologist would have a field day with if he went for an examination, however because of his profile I don't think Konami will ever reveal the man behind Solid Snake.

After the opening sequence in Metal Gear Solid 2 I was very apprehensive as to whether or not Snake would still be alive and whether or not the very feeble minded Raiden would take over in the reigns of a gaming genius. Thankfully however Snake managed to battle his way onto the 'Big Shell' to aid Raiden on his mission. As soon as I heard his voice I gathered enthusiasm in Raiden as I knew that whenever he made a mistake that Snake would be there to help. For all of Solid Snake's troubles I would like to award him with the Gaming Personality of the Year certificate and may I wish him good look in the future!

Thankyou for reading
Mon 21/07/03 at 02:08
Regular
He has done a few minor film productions as well and he is a very good voice actor. He plays both parts very well indeed and he is someone who I will look out for in future games. He hasn't narrated for one bad game yet so fingers crossed he doesn't start now.
Mon 21/07/03 at 01:54
My God? It's HIM??? He is a good voice actor.
Mon 21/07/03 at 01:46
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> Narrator? You mean that "Deep into that darkness perring"
> stuff?

Yes he does the narrating for the opening and the story. Listen to the story and you will pick out bits and bats from his work with MGS.
Sun 20/07/03 at 23:59
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Its a game for petes sake this reminds me of shakespeare lessons at school where the teacher would make us believe that Romeo had a personality and all that extra analysis for petes sake it was only a book.

Like this is simply a bunch of co-ordinated polygons
Sun 20/07/03 at 02:35
Narrator? You mean that "Deep into that darkness perring" stuff?
Thu 17/07/03 at 07:47
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Snake 0wnz.
Wed 18/06/03 at 19:52
Regular
If I ever met you or your lover Top Score I would beat you both...

With a very big sword!
Mon 16/06/03 at 18:27
Regular
"aliens exist"
i think sam fisher would give solid snake the beating of his life if they ever met
Wed 14/05/03 at 00:49
"I love yo... lamp."
I didn't know that... Methinks its time to get a MSX2.
Sun 11/05/03 at 14:12
Regular
And the game was as crap then as it is now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.