GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being English"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/10/10 at 10:15
"possibly impossible"
What makes the English English? I think there's a lack of national identity that goes some way towards our lack of focus as a country.

Part of it is the seemingly in-built cynical side of this island that says we have nothing to be proud about, but is that really true?

St George's Day is a celebration, we all know when it is but should it be celebrated and if so, in what way? Perhaps this could be the linchpin for our identity?

If the Government made that day a national holiday and used the same PR it used for political campaigns it could work on a scheme to make us feel better about our country. Everyone who lives permanently in England should be considered English but we need to find a way for everyone to feel proud about their country, or at least have an idea about what England should be.

We don't have a pledge of allegiance as in the US, and nor should we, but we do need something that says 'you are English' or at least gets us in the mindset to want to make our country work. In short, if we find out what set of variables makes us 'English' and what is expected from that, then we can start moving towards a common goal of unifying this country. Race, sex or religion should not stand in the way of feeling that you are part of a whole. This doesn't mean they should be ignored, but we need to move forward under a set of criteria for the country and these things shouldn't have any impact on that.

History dictates that a country which has a National Identity is stronger than those which don't. While our Heritage has both good and bad elements historically and we shouldn't forget those, we need to embrace the good and use the bad to learn from our past mistakes rather than dwelling on them and pointing a finger.
Tue 05/10/10 at 20:25
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Does active national pride really have any place in a multi-national society? More to the point, do the politicians really believe in it or do they see it as regressive at a point when it's more important to be forming closer ties between communities.
Personally I'd like a bit more positivity but I just think it's the English way to be reserved. There's a thin line between being proud of your country and propagandist jingoism that exists elsewhere and I think the English are very aware that they don't want to cross that line.
Tue 05/10/10 at 19:39
"possibly impossible"
Alfoncy wrote:
With regards to the whole pride thing, is it really acceptable to be proud of something you didn't earn?

It's a case of being proud to be part of something, not something you've done.
Tue 05/10/10 at 18:27
Regular
With regards to the whole pride thing, is it really acceptable to be proud of something you didn't earn?
Tue 05/10/10 at 14:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
As I said, I dont think non-specific days work. :) I dont think theres any lack of understand that St George's day is England's national day so renaming it doesnt help or change anything in my opinion.
Tue 05/10/10 at 14:23
"possibly impossible"
So we'd rename it England Day? That would work.
Tue 05/10/10 at 13:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
St George's Day is a celebration, we all know when it is but should it be celebrated and if so, in what way? Perhaps this could be the linchpin for our identity?

I think its dificult to be proud of something and identity with it when you have non-specific days like this. St George has no connection to England and theres no real exploits to acknowledge or be proud of. Contrast that with the US where their public holidays centre around specific achievements. Its no wonder they have a better sense of identity in my opinion.
Tue 05/10/10 at 10:15
"possibly impossible"
What makes the English English? I think there's a lack of national identity that goes some way towards our lack of focus as a country.

Part of it is the seemingly in-built cynical side of this island that says we have nothing to be proud about, but is that really true?

If the Government made that day a national holiday and used the same PR it used for political campaigns it could work on a scheme to make us feel better about our country. Everyone who lives permanently in England should be considered English but we need to find a way for everyone to feel proud about their country, or at least have an idea about what England should be.

We don't have a pledge of allegiance as in the US, and nor should we, but we do need something that says 'you are English' or at least gets us in the mindset to want to make our country work. In short, if we find out what set of variables makes us 'English' and what is expected from that, then we can start moving towards a common goal of unifying this country. Race, sex or religion should not stand in the way of feeling that you are part of a whole. This doesn't mean they should be ignored, but we need to move forward under a set of criteria for the country and these things shouldn't have any impact on that.

History dictates that a country which has a National Identity is stronger than those which don't. While our Heritage has both good and bad elements historically and we shouldn't forget those, we need to embrace the good and use the bad to learn from our past mistakes rather than dwelling on them and pointing a finger.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.