GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being English"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/10/10 at 10:15
"possibly impossible"
What makes the English English? I think there's a lack of national identity that goes some way towards our lack of focus as a country.

Part of it is the seemingly in-built cynical side of this island that says we have nothing to be proud about, but is that really true?

St George's Day is a celebration, we all know when it is but should it be celebrated and if so, in what way? Perhaps this could be the linchpin for our identity?

If the Government made that day a national holiday and used the same PR it used for political campaigns it could work on a scheme to make us feel better about our country. Everyone who lives permanently in England should be considered English but we need to find a way for everyone to feel proud about their country, or at least have an idea about what England should be.

We don't have a pledge of allegiance as in the US, and nor should we, but we do need something that says 'you are English' or at least gets us in the mindset to want to make our country work. In short, if we find out what set of variables makes us 'English' and what is expected from that, then we can start moving towards a common goal of unifying this country. Race, sex or religion should not stand in the way of feeling that you are part of a whole. This doesn't mean they should be ignored, but we need to move forward under a set of criteria for the country and these things shouldn't have any impact on that.

History dictates that a country which has a National Identity is stronger than those which don't. While our Heritage has both good and bad elements historically and we shouldn't forget those, we need to embrace the good and use the bad to learn from our past mistakes rather than dwelling on them and pointing a finger.
Sat 18/12/10 at 14:56
Regular
"Monochromatic"
HiddenWingz wrote:
There was a documentary about people who were obsessively proud of being English (not British), and they wanted to determined this by having some research done on their family. When the results came back, they were all very upset because most of them originally came from America or the Caribean etc...

They'd have to be incredibly stupid. No-one with origins in America or the carribean would be white and if they're not white it'd be pretty bloody obvious that they weren't native to this country.
Sat 18/12/10 at 11:23
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
There was a documentary about people who were obsessively proud of being English (not British), and they wanted to determined this by having some research done on their family. When the results came back, they were all very upset because most of them originally came from America or the Caribean etc...
Sat 18/12/10 at 00:32
Regular
I read in one of the newspapers a long while ago that if you could trace your family tree back 30 generations, you would actually discovered that your related to every living person on the planet today.

I think it was the Daily Mail though.
Fri 17/12/10 at 22:25
Regular
"eat toast!"
theres no such thing as being proper english unless you could point to all your descendants back to the celts or that far back. The number of times that foreign powers have conquered, settled and lived in the country makes sure of that. Romans, anglo saxons, the normans, vikings etc etc

Its probably best to say that england is a mongrel nation. Thats our identity and that i would like to think that it leaves us the more multicultral society thats more tolerant than others. Until the recent 7/7 attacks of course.
Fri 17/12/10 at 17:29
Regular
I don't have this 'bring English' dilemma to think about.

Cymru am byth! :P
Wed 15/12/10 at 15:55
Regular
"How Ironic"
I don't hate or love being from England. I don't really consider myself as an english person in the sense that it doesn't come into my life at all. From my perspective, it means nothing.
Wed 15/12/10 at 09:20
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
I am proud to be British, but not entirely proud of the part of Britain I am from. Though it is fun to confuse people with different accents/words because i've moved around a lot here. Will never remember a conversation I ended up having with someone that started something along the lines of:

"Do you like tea and cucumber sandwhiches?" I replied no (sorry folks!) and this person replied that I wasn't technically British then. If we base our nationality on food then I am half Italian because I love pasta.

As for Jerusalem...I just had to listen to it to remind myself. For some bizarre reason I was expecting a completely different song. May have confused my hymms up a bit! Anyway I like the lyrics more than the song itself, reminds me of the Cheddar Cliffs/Hills.
Wed 15/12/10 at 08:34
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
I'm inclined to agree with Warhunt here. I am myself very proud to be English, yet it isn't simply a blind allegiance. I find England (and indeed, all of Britain) to be a beautiful place, and I really do enjoy traveling it's landscapes.

Having said that, I am not too keen on some of the ways the country is run. I am not one to get into dense political dicussions though; I do not wish to upset or aggrevate people, and to be honest, my opinion of politics in general is low. All I will say is that it angers me immensly to witness the sometimes delirious decisions the government makes. I am also not a "fan" of any of the major British political parties, and often feel the situation is always going to be lose/lose.

but simply being "English" is something I definately feel a certain pride in. I do not beleive in blind patriotism, but always feel a degree of respect for my country in itself - but not it's leaders or indeed some of it's people. Therefore, you could argue that it is folly for me (or someone with similar views) to feel proud of the country at all, and honestly, you are probably right.

To finish on a slightly lighter note, does anyone else feel that Jerusalem is the best British national song? I certainly do!
Wed 15/12/10 at 03:47
Regular
"Help, bloody mess."
As long as we are governed by people like David Cameron and Nick Clegg the English just like the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish will always be at the bottom of the pile.

National identity is one thing but what you achieve in the long term is down to who you cast your vote for.

None of them really care about what is in the best interests of the entire country so in future let us all rejoice every time one of them who are caught fiddling expenses are hauled before the courts and are given time in prison...maybe then national identity would really mean somrthing.
Wed 06/10/10 at 08:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I am incredibly proud to be English really. But really I'm not sure if it's because you are "meant to be" ............ I don't like how England does the majority of things to be honest, so why would I be proud of being part of it? :S

Originally we were a proud race because of our naval (and therefore military) prowess. Guess old habits die hard?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.