GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why are games so cheap?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/11/01 at 16:30
Regular
Ok, so the title is meant to be a bit sarcastic, but I do admit, some games that are only about a year old are too cheap for their own good. An exaple: Smuggler's Run, only 17.99 at special reserve on the day exactly 1 year after its launch alongside the PS2. Why? The Ps1 took something like two years before it started the platinum range, but already Sony are about to launch a 14.99 range which includes the awesome Smuggler's Run and Dynasty Warriors 2. Prices for new PS2 games may be a bit much, but I certainly think that the cheapies really are wtupidly cheap
Wed 28/11/01 at 20:57
Regular
"¬_¬"
Has anybody else seen outrageous prices paid for games. I saw in CEX a copy of Final Fantasy X retailing for £120! What's more, next time I went in, it had disappeared off the shelf!!! Some people are just so stupid when it comes to game prices. Shopping around for games pays off big time, especially on the internet.
Wed 28/11/01 at 17:18
Regular
"¬_¬"
Some department stores do recognize the gamer in a good way, such as WHSmith with their 'buy one get one half price' deal. This is another fact with big shops, they are so stupid, that they might reduce a game in a sale to such petty cash anyone will buy it. So, they may be annoyingly stupid, but it sometimes comes with an added bonus. Example: last Xmas, Majora's mask for £20 in a boxing day sale. Ha!!!
Wed 28/11/01 at 17:03
Regular
"¬_¬"
In fact, not meaning to suck up, but I think that Special Reserve have the fairest video game prices in the UK. New PS2 games are only about £32, and you can get old games like Turok Rage Wars and F-Zero for less than a tenner. SR are probably the only people who treat gamers fairly, which is why I direct most of my custom here.
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:49
Games arent only more expensive in this country because of licensing fees/ PAL conversions etc. Its because Britian is "Treasure Island", full of gulliable fools who will happily pay twice as much for anything then they would have to on the continent or in the US. There are countless examples, two main ones being Cars and Levis jeans. With Levis, Tescos buy them in bulk in the US from a high-street retailer, just as you or I would, ship them back here, sell them cheaper than Levis sell them here and still make a tidy profit. We need to stop being ripped of by everything, including games.
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:45
Woolworths are quite bad when it comes to game prices. That's why I like SR, there prices are cheaper than what you'll find in shops nowadays.
That reminds me, I need become a member again.
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:43
Regular
I know someone who bought "Virtua Racing" on the 32X for 70 quid. What a rip-off!

If you are old enough to remember the Neo-Geo console (not the handheld): games for that used to be 100 quid plus! - They were arcade perfect at the time though.
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
Damn right, I haven't bought a game from Woolworths in years. They're all the same price, even the ones that are years older than the new releases!

Internet shopping is much better.
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:41
Regular
"¬_¬"
Another one of many things related to game price which infuriates me, are department stores wihch don't give a monkey's how much their games cost. An example is Woolworths. I went in, looking to buy DK64 on the N64 for about £30-40, instead finding it was a whopping £65! Also, games like Micro Machines 64 and Doom were also £50! They don't care about prices, which is why they stock less games; people won't pay extortionate prices which makes the retailer think they don't want them, so the retailer stops stocking them. That is why I always support small shops. A new e-play opened up in Southampton, and all the new games which I don't get from SR, I buy here because the staff are friendly and I don't want the shop to close down through lack of business.
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:39
Regular
"I like cheese"
½pint wrote:
> New PS2 games are definitely too expensive. If they were only £30, like
> PSone games, they would sell loads more and wipe the floor with competitors.
> Apparently, XBox and GameCube games are going to start retailing at about
> £50!!!

I heard that someone bought Turok on N64 for £70. :D

And yeah, perhaps PS2 games are too expensive, but when you compare them to £50...
Wed 28/11/01 at 16:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
½pint wrote:
> Yeah, GBA games are a rip off, they're only $30 in the US. Its because Nintendo
> have such high licensing fees, the games are more expensive in order to get more
> profit for the developers so that more developers want to make more games.

Very true, good point.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.