GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation Network Trials - Diary"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 11:07
Regular
February - Noticed in OPSM2 Magazine that if you wanted to take part in the official Sony Network Trials you had to sign up for beta testing via their official website. Anyone who gets in on the trials will receive a free copy of SOCOM: US Navy SEALS as a 'thankyou' at the end of the trials. Wow, never knew that, so scuttled on over.

Signed up, answered a load of questions via an online form about my connection type, who I was, what ISP I used, what games I liked, how much I played games, where I played them, and so on. Then I waited. And waited. And waited...

March - Banner pops up on the official Sony website advising that signups for Network Trials have now closed. The waiting continues. The nailbiting commences.

April 1st - WHOOHOOOOO! E-mail received from Sony confirming I've been chosen to take part in the Playstation 2 Network Gaming Trials. Advised to sit back and relax and wait for another e-mail from 7th April onwards advising where I can get hold of the Network Trials gaming kit which contains:

Network Adaptor (ethernet) for PS2
Network Access Disc, plus connection instructions
SOCOM: US Navy SEALS (online gaming mode only)
SOCOM USB Headset (for voice chat during gameplay)
Ethernet straight through cable (2m)

Meantime there's a huge section added to Sony's official PS2 website all about Networking, including indepth glossaries, broadband options, a list of their partners who sell compatible products, how to set up Internet Connection Sharing, Routers, Direct Connections and so on, basically a 'Dummies Guide to Home Networking'. It's very good, takes me 6 hours and a few coffees to read it and take it all in, and results in me ordering a home network kit so that I'll be able to play my PS2 online and keep the PCs connected to the internet at the same time.

April 4th - Set up home network, go into shock when I realise how easy it is to do and get everything working first time.

April 7th - E-mail arrives from Sony advising that the Network Trial gaming kits are now available to order (£41.98 including delivery) and provide a link to take you straight to their shop. So surfed over there, registered an account with their shop, where, after a few goes because the shop is inundated with people trying to order their kits as well at the same time, I manage to place an order.

Included in the e-mail is a little paragraph advising us that we'll be able to preview code of other games, which will be mailed to our home addresses, so might be getting to practice on Hardware: Online Arena and Twisted Metal Black: Online ages before anyone else.

April 8th - Confirmation e-mail arrives advising that my order for their kit has been placed and that my order is on its way.

April 8th - Two more e-mails received, one from the Playstation Broadband Team and one from the Trial Manager, both apologising for the problems most people had ordering from the shop, and advising that the shop has now been geared up to cope with the huge response.

April 9th - Noticed that my order status at the shop for the Network Gaming trial pack has now changed from 'pending' to 'shipped'. Am currently camping out by my front door awaiting delivery.

I'll update this thread for you as the trials continue, to give you some flavour of how the trials are going, the niggles we're overcoming, but most importantly how much fun it is to blow complete strangers to pieces in SOCOM: US Navy SEALS online.
Sat 10/05/03 at 22:49
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
What is your username on PS2 Online FM?

I think I'll maybe set it up tommorow evening.
Sat 10/05/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Only 48 days until EverQuest Online Adventures is released.

Will the European servers be up and running for it by then?
I think so.

Will I be able to play it because I have a Network Adaptor already set up?
I think so.

Will the PS2 Network Adaptor have had a European launch by then?
I think not.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

*Gloats in a very smug manner that only people on the Sony Network Beta Trials will understand*

Will the European servers for EQOA be wiped and started afresh once the PS2 Network Adaptor gets a European launch?
I think possibly.

*Starts to get worried*
Sat 10/05/03 at 18:16
Regular
I also heard that SOCOM and the network thingy will be released on 30th May, but until then i will have to wait until the 16th when we will get the playable demo from OPS2...
Fri 09/05/03 at 09:15
Regular
"oaps.org"
Darwock wrote:
> My problem with the headset was down to a dodgy router. It was a cheap
> one and didn't do the job very well.
>
> Hi ManicMyna, saw you online during the test tonight.

I couldn't even get the cheap 455 router i got to even work, so i'm still unplugging the cable modem everytime

anyway i sorta sucked on wednesday night
Thu 08/05/03 at 17:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
If you've got an ethernet cable modem use the Linksys BEFSR41 4-port ethernet router. It has yet to come up with any problems, and works well with XBox Live as well. (I use one, can't recommend it highly enough to be honest because it's so easy to set up).

If you've got a USB cable modem then I dunno, have a look at the Beta Getting Connected forums and see what other people are using, there's a thread there listing all the routers of both types that work fine with all games.
Wed 07/05/03 at 22:37
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
My problem with the headset was down to a dodgy router. It was a cheap one and didn't do the job very well.

Hi ManicMyna, saw you online during the test tonight.
Wed 07/05/03 at 18:31
Regular
"oaps.org"
something to do with the host not using it from what i understand

problem 1: lot of time no one talks anyway (annoying if your getting creamed)
problem 2: idiots screaming incesently in your ear
Wed 07/05/03 at 14:55
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Darwock wrote:
> Man, I went through a lot of trouble getting the thing working
> perfectly but I'm finally there. Funny thing is, I spent more money to
> try and get the voice communication working but the final solution
> turned out to be the cheapest option (ICS)
>
> Went up against FM a couple of times, he's getting a bit of a fearsome
> rep amongst the other players.
>
> It's so much fun when the headset works!

Why didn't it work, thought it was all basically plug and play.
Tue 06/05/03 at 22:22
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Man, I went through a lot of trouble getting the thing working perfectly but I'm finally there. Funny thing is, I spent more money to try and get the voice communication working but the final solution turned out to be the cheapest option (ICS)

Went up against FM a couple of times, he's getting a bit of a fearsome rep amongst the other players.

It's so much fun when the headset works!
Tue 06/05/03 at 12:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Whole thing sounds excellent.
Just hope that the whole thing takes off sometime soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.