GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation Network Trials - Diary"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 11:07
Regular
February - Noticed in OPSM2 Magazine that if you wanted to take part in the official Sony Network Trials you had to sign up for beta testing via their official website. Anyone who gets in on the trials will receive a free copy of SOCOM: US Navy SEALS as a 'thankyou' at the end of the trials. Wow, never knew that, so scuttled on over.

Signed up, answered a load of questions via an online form about my connection type, who I was, what ISP I used, what games I liked, how much I played games, where I played them, and so on. Then I waited. And waited. And waited...

March - Banner pops up on the official Sony website advising that signups for Network Trials have now closed. The waiting continues. The nailbiting commences.

April 1st - WHOOHOOOOO! E-mail received from Sony confirming I've been chosen to take part in the Playstation 2 Network Gaming Trials. Advised to sit back and relax and wait for another e-mail from 7th April onwards advising where I can get hold of the Network Trials gaming kit which contains:

Network Adaptor (ethernet) for PS2
Network Access Disc, plus connection instructions
SOCOM: US Navy SEALS (online gaming mode only)
SOCOM USB Headset (for voice chat during gameplay)
Ethernet straight through cable (2m)

Meantime there's a huge section added to Sony's official PS2 website all about Networking, including indepth glossaries, broadband options, a list of their partners who sell compatible products, how to set up Internet Connection Sharing, Routers, Direct Connections and so on, basically a 'Dummies Guide to Home Networking'. It's very good, takes me 6 hours and a few coffees to read it and take it all in, and results in me ordering a home network kit so that I'll be able to play my PS2 online and keep the PCs connected to the internet at the same time.

April 4th - Set up home network, go into shock when I realise how easy it is to do and get everything working first time.

April 7th - E-mail arrives from Sony advising that the Network Trial gaming kits are now available to order (£41.98 including delivery) and provide a link to take you straight to their shop. So surfed over there, registered an account with their shop, where, after a few goes because the shop is inundated with people trying to order their kits as well at the same time, I manage to place an order.

Included in the e-mail is a little paragraph advising us that we'll be able to preview code of other games, which will be mailed to our home addresses, so might be getting to practice on Hardware: Online Arena and Twisted Metal Black: Online ages before anyone else.

April 8th - Confirmation e-mail arrives advising that my order for their kit has been placed and that my order is on its way.

April 8th - Two more e-mails received, one from the Playstation Broadband Team and one from the Trial Manager, both apologising for the problems most people had ordering from the shop, and advising that the shop has now been geared up to cope with the huge response.

April 9th - Noticed that my order status at the shop for the Network Gaming trial pack has now changed from 'pending' to 'shipped'. Am currently camping out by my front door awaiting delivery.

I'll update this thread for you as the trials continue, to give you some flavour of how the trials are going, the niggles we're overcoming, but most importantly how much fun it is to blow complete strangers to pieces in SOCOM: US Navy SEALS online.
Wed 09/04/03 at 11:07
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
February - Noticed in OPSM2 Magazine that if you wanted to take part in the official Sony Network Trials you had to sign up for beta testing via their official website. Anyone who gets in on the trials will receive a free copy of SOCOM: US Navy SEALS as a 'thankyou' at the end of the trials. Wow, never knew that, so scuttled on over.

Signed up, answered a load of questions via an online form about my connection type, who I was, what ISP I used, what games I liked, how much I played games, where I played them, and so on. Then I waited. And waited. And waited...

March - Banner pops up on the official Sony website advising that signups for Network Trials have now closed. The waiting continues. The nailbiting commences.

April 1st - WHOOHOOOOO! E-mail received from Sony confirming I've been chosen to take part in the Playstation 2 Network Gaming Trials. Advised to sit back and relax and wait for another e-mail from 7th April onwards advising where I can get hold of the Network Trials gaming kit which contains:

Network Adaptor (ethernet) for PS2
Network Access Disc, plus connection instructions
SOCOM: US Navy SEALS (online gaming mode only)
SOCOM USB Headset (for voice chat during gameplay)
Ethernet straight through cable (2m)

Meantime there's a huge section added to Sony's official PS2 website all about Networking, including indepth glossaries, broadband options, a list of their partners who sell compatible products, how to set up Internet Connection Sharing, Routers, Direct Connections and so on, basically a 'Dummies Guide to Home Networking'. It's very good, takes me 6 hours and a few coffees to read it and take it all in, and results in me ordering a home network kit so that I'll be able to play my PS2 online and keep the PCs connected to the internet at the same time.

April 4th - Set up home network, go into shock when I realise how easy it is to do and get everything working first time.

April 7th - E-mail arrives from Sony advising that the Network Trial gaming kits are now available to order (£41.98 including delivery) and provide a link to take you straight to their shop. So surfed over there, registered an account with their shop, where, after a few goes because the shop is inundated with people trying to order their kits as well at the same time, I manage to place an order.

Included in the e-mail is a little paragraph advising us that we'll be able to preview code of other games, which will be mailed to our home addresses, so might be getting to practice on Hardware: Online Arena and Twisted Metal Black: Online ages before anyone else.

April 8th - Confirmation e-mail arrives advising that my order for their kit has been placed and that my order is on its way.

April 8th - Two more e-mails received, one from the Playstation Broadband Team and one from the Trial Manager, both apologising for the problems most people had ordering from the shop, and advising that the shop has now been geared up to cope with the huge response.

April 9th - Noticed that my order status at the shop for the Network Gaming trial pack has now changed from 'pending' to 'shipped'. Am currently camping out by my front door awaiting delivery.

I'll update this thread for you as the trials continue, to give you some flavour of how the trials are going, the niggles we're overcoming, but most importantly how much fun it is to blow complete strangers to pieces in SOCOM: US Navy SEALS online.
Wed 09/04/03 at 11:18
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I got in too!

Just need £41.98...
Wed 09/04/03 at 11:22
Regular
I borrowed my mum's credit card and will pay her back next week :)

It also cost me an extra £77.54 for the home network kit (I went for the LinkSys BEFSR41 Router and a few straight-through network cables so I can use my PC, mum's laptop and the PS2 all at the same time).

Mum paid for this after I advised her that connecting her laptop to my network would mean she could SHOP ONLINE much faster than using her 5p a minute dial-up connection that she used to use.
Wed 09/04/03 at 11:23
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Heh, sly one :D

I may try and get my mum to buy the kit to link her laptop, this PC and of course the PS2.

6 days left though :S
Wed 09/04/03 at 12:06
Regular
"Complete Banker"
FantasyMeister wrote:
I went for the LinkSys BEFSR41 Router and a few straight-through network cables so I can use my PC, mum's laptop and the PS2 all at the same time.

That's what I want to do! Is it really as easy to set it all up as you say? I'm a complete dunce at these things, although I can read - so if the instructions are good enough, I should be OK. Where did you get the Kit from? - I've seen prices of £100+ for the stuff!

The other thing is I don't know which ISP to use - I know that I need to use a BT line (they've confirmed it'll work), but are all ISP's compatable with the PS2??
Wed 09/04/03 at 12:19
Regular
Flying Pig wrote:
> The other thing is I don't know which ISP to use - I know that I need
> to use a BT line (they've confirmed it'll work), but are all ISP's
> compatable with the PS2??

There's a complete list of ISP partners that are participating and providing support for the PS2 trials in the Network Gaming GUIDES section of the uk.playstation.com website. They include:

Blueyonder Internet Services
BT Broadband
BT Openworld
Freeserve
NTL:Home

Also in the GUIDES is a full list of exactly what type of connection you will require to be able to use your PS2 online. Have a read.
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:37
Regular
"oaps.org"
Flying Pig wrote:
> Where did you get the Kit from?

weren't you invited to buy it then? oh well
Downer is I'll probably be at work when it arrives and apparently they have to be signed for from what I read in the email
Thu 10/04/03 at 09:54
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
ManicMyna wrote:
> Flying Pig wrote:
>
> weren't you invited to buy it then? oh well
> Downer is I'll probably be at work when it arrives and apparently they
> have to be signed for from what I read in the email

You should be able to collect it from the Post Office Depot or Courier Co depot after work, most are open until 8pm during the week :)

Good thread idea FM.
Thu 10/04/03 at 13:47
Regular
"Complete Banker"
ManicMyna wrote:
> Flying Pig wrote:
>
> weren't you invited to buy it then? oh well
> Downer is I'll probably be at work when it arrives and apparently they
> have to be signed for from what I read in the email

I think you missed what I meant: I was wondering where to get the router etc from - I know where to get the PS2 network pack etc. I'll have to wait until it's released though..... :(
Thu 10/04/03 at 19:30
Regular
Last post on this thread I'm afraid. Sony have reminded all beta testers that information about the beta trials is commercially sensitive so I'm not allowed to tell you how excellent it was to play SOCOM online from 10am this morning until now. Or how much fun it was. Or how much I was laughing as each team invented it's own victory celebration (ours was emptying a full clip into the last terrorist/SEAL that we'd killed and then jumping up and down and around shooting our guns into the air until the time ran out, really cracked me up to see what are supposed to be crack troops acting so insanely). Or how bright the future looks for your PS2 if you've got broadband. Or how easy it is to get online if you take the time to read the GUIDES on the playstation.com site and the ones that will arrive with the network adaptors when they're released.

This beta testing is really tough when you can't find anything wrong. I suppose I'll just have to keep playing and playing in the hope that I'll discover a bug later on. Ah well, back to the trials, I figure I can cram in another 8 hour or so session before I need sleep :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.