GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Official Magazine - Biased?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 12:06
Regular
Has anyone else noticed recently that NOM have been quite generous with their marks to their own Nintendo (Gamecube) games? The lowest mark that they have ever given a Nintendo-made game is 8, but, of course, the highest is 10 (Zelda and Metroid Prime). Now these are good games, but I cant help feeling that they're being paid or something by Nintendo to give their games high marks. Some of the Nintendo games that they gave 8, like NBA Courtside, are clearly worse than other games they gave 8, like THPS 3, Tiger Woods PGA tour 2003, MOH Frontline, Nightfire and Fifa 2003 (all not made by Nintendo). Is this just a matter of opinion, or am I right?
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:26
Regular
NOM have actually got better. There review are a lot more honest than they used to be and they actually say what's bad a bout a game. Except their Starfox and Sunshien reviews. 10 and 9 indeed, pffft.
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:12
Regular
Totoro hit the nail on the head.

Giving opposition console's childish names like 'DreamPants' and 'GreyStation Poo' completely stripped them of any journalistic integrity, and I have never even contemplated purchasing another of their magazines since.

CUBE has been halfway decent, with a thorough news section, but disappointing reviews section.

Still NGC for me.
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:08
Regular
the lowest was doshin the giant, which got 6 which i feel is kind of harsh because it is what NOM are always shouting the roof tops about, inovation and orrigonality, and yes they r incredibly biased. But so our other official mags for example the PS2 one.
Wed 09/04/03 at 19:55
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Ninty OFFICIAL magazibe biased?

That's a tough one. Yes indeedy, virtually every official mag is biased.
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:55
Regular
I know their slightly biased but if you look at other reviews in other magazines and on internet sites such as IGN and Gamespot, they're virtually the same.

They gave Metroid and Zelda both 10/10. It may seem more than others, however if you work along the basis that ONM have a rating of 1 - 10, games that get 9.5 upwards will be rounded upto 10. NBA courtside could have got 7.5 but they round it up to 8, however THPS3 could have got 8.4 only this time they would have round it down to 8. From this you can see that THPS3 could have got an extra 9% more than NBA.

As far as Metroid and Zelda are concerned. The average review score I've seen for both is around the 95% region.
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:52
Regular
the lowest rating is actually 3 for universal studios, or do you mean game like super smash bros (nintendo property games?)
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:46
"You love us!"
Tony_Blair wrote:
> thats why unofficial mag advertise that they are
> "unofficial"

Like it makes much of a difference.
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:44
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
thats why unofficial mag advertise that they are "unofficial"
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:37
"You love us!"
Surely this is just blatantly obvious?

Of course the official Nintendo mag is going to give Ninty games high marks – do you think Nintendo would have renewed the official magazine contract with EMAP (the company who make NOM) without ensuring all their big games get high scores?

No. You want the license, are games get good scores. In fact, to a degree, Nintendo UK have the casting vote as to the score *each* game in the mag gets, not just the Nintendo produced ones.

It’s all about cash you see. The Official mag guarantees sales, exclusives and previews etc so from the publishers’ point of view (in this case EMAP) it was critical that they didn’t lose the official Ninty license when it came up for renewal, which was in early 2001, particularly with the GameCube UK release on the horizon. So when they tendered for the contract, these little clauses are built in.

While official mags are the worst for this, unofficial magazines are much the same.
Wed 09/04/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
This is why you don't buy Official magazines - they always want to keep their Official status and know that takes more than cash.

However, the indies are no better. They get their exculsives by generous marking. Journalists like getting to jet around the world to play test new games (ever wonder why MS suddenly opened by a Spanish branch that seems to be only used to playtest titles? Ninty/Sony/any major publisher are just as bad.), they don't want to risk not getting invited back. Ever seen the back-slapping that goes on at ECTS/E3?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.