GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Saddam Falls"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 16:13
Regular
Just been watching BBC1 for the past hour and a quarter or so, and the largest statue of Saddam in Baghdad has been pulled down.

First Iraqi people were smashing the pedestal the statue was on with a sledgehammer, and they climbed up and tied a rope around his neck to try and pull the statue down.

After a while some American troops came to lend a hand, giving the Iraqis a cable which was tied around the legs of the statue. Chains were placed around Saddams neck, and an American vehicle was ready to pull the statue down. Some US troops put the stars and stripes over Saddams head which was met with applause, but I suspect offended some, but thankfully the flag was quickly removed and later the Iraqi flag was placed over Saddams head.

The American vehicle pulled back and the statue slowly fell, then another push brought it to the ground, to be greeted by a hysterical crowd who were smashing the remnants of the statuewith anything they could find.

Whatever your views on the war, this was an extremely powerful and moving scene.

Just as I'm typing heard on the news the statue has been decapitated and the head walked through the street... Turn on the news...
Thu 10/04/03 at 11:45
"For the horde!!!!"
Did anyone else shout TIMBER when Sadaam's statue was pulled down?

*SR goes quiet*

D'oh
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:34
Azul wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> I think that was jeering, or the roar of the APC engine.
>
> Nope, it was the cheer from the people who were held under the tyrany
> of Saddam Hussein for 24 years, celebrating their freedom.

I think you're confusing it with the time the statue toppled over, or the moments before. When the American flag was put on and the Iraqi people saw it, the mood changed.
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:29
Regular
Do you know what iraq is...
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:23
Regular
§n][pe® wrote:
> what??

me as well
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:22
Regular
what??
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:21
Regular
Manta am the winner and u cant prove other wise
Wed 09/04/03 at 18:20
"You love us!"
Azul wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
>
> Nope, it was the cheer from the people who were held under the tyrany
> of Saddam Hussein for 24 years, celebrating their freedom.

No. The cheers you heard were probably coming all the way from Washington as the Bush administration come one step closer to securing Iraq and all the natural riches (read: oil) the country has.

It won't be long before the US have control of the Iraq oil fields and in doing so send a message to the OPEC countries that any member state who want to change the monetary denomination they trade their oil in from US dollars to Euros (which Iraq did in 2000 and thus gave momentum to the thought within OPEC that as a group they should switch from $'s to Euro's) should think again.

It's not about terrorism or weapons of mass destruction or even liberating the people of Iraq, its about preserving the $ as the standard that OPEC use for trading the oil it produces with the world. If OPEC switched from Dollars to Euros the whole American economy would bottom out, the US Dollar would crash and the backbone that has kept the US in the position it is in for the last 40-odd years would be gone.

The bush administration knows this, and will do anything to preserve the Dollar’s position as the standard trading currency for oil.
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:28
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
DeltaJava wrote:

Nope, it was the cheer from the people who were held under the tyrany of Saddam Hussein for 24 years, celebrating their freedom.
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:08
Sibs wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> I don't think the Iraqi people were applauding the American flag
> being
> put on, which was why it was quickly removed.
>
> Hmm... Sure I heard applause or cheers or something when they put the
> flag on...

I think that was jeering, or the roar of the APC engine.
Wed 09/04/03 at 17:07
Heh, you've reminded me about that cutscene in Vice City with Diaz scratching his "cajones".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.