GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/04/03 at 18:55
Regular
From what only appears to be a gaming rut of hell... Nintendo are sliding... fast.

The console has only been out a year but failing to reach tragets by just under 50% was a drastic disaster for Nintendo. GBA selling millions or not Nintendo will not keep a dead weight going as long as Microsoft will. Sales for Nintendo's Gamecube are at the stage where they ARE indeed making money... but recent reports show this is only a temporay thing.

Dixons and Argos have removed their Gamecube stock. Argos are only willing to stock under 50% of their normal Gamecube shipments but originally planned to cut the console all together. The GAME group have also scaled down its Gamecube size and so has Blockbuster/Choices who are removing Gamecube stock all together from certain stores. Despite shocking concerns it doesn't appear all TOO bad, Nintendo stock is still booming in certain retailers with Special Reserve indicating that they are enjoying some success with Nintendo's console. Also independant retailers across britain are enjoying some success.

Nevertheless it all looked grim but Nintendo have to face another problem... the 3rd parties. Whereas the N64 began with little 3rd party support and that grew, it is the opposite for the Cube. Codemasters already withdrew from Nintendo support and the success of Zelda was to define Infogrammes support. Capcom are trying to shift attention slowly back to Sony and SEGA's new plan includes a dramatic recline in Nintendo support.

In an attempt to counter-act the problem Nintendo are to produce a royalty scheme. Nintendo will also stop the high prices 3rd parties are forced to spend. EA, the biggest company that threatened to leave Nintendo, the company that broke SEGA, were the last straw for Nintendo and their 'wait and see' attitude. EA are vital to Nintendo's success and So Nintendo revealed that a deal broke last month, Nintendo offered Electronic Arts a fresh royalty break of the cost of game production, plus $1 US, resulting in the slew of titles announced by Electronic Arts during March.

A similar deal (although not AS great) is being done to all 3rd parties. Nintendo have their backs to the wall, the games that saved them during the N64 are NOT doing it this time. Zelda and Mario unsuprisingly hit the number one spot but for a mere week, Mario's success was similar to Pikmin's in Japan and this was a devestating blow. In an attempt to push Zelda Nintendo announced a bonus disc. It took record pre-orders but then, as it with Mario, the game dropped!

Metroid Prime did moderate success again and just as Nintendo had hoped... great but not world smashing. Nintendo realize that it is the other developers that can unleash a smash hit and so losing them would be killer.

It is the new titles that Nintendo are developing that look to save the company in the long run. Pikmin did VERY well and as the game gets a sequel, and another... the game will become bigger. Metroid Prime is also looking like a firm favourite for the west. Animal Crossing is also set to get bigger.

But these games will take time to reach critical success... the third parties and the dwindeling success of their ancient franchises Zelda and Mario are all Nintendo have left to stay alive.

Maybe it is time Pokemon returned to the home consoles... and then we may have that temporary revival that is so vital.

Dringo.
Sat 12/04/03 at 18:55
Regular
From what only appears to be a gaming rut of hell... Nintendo are sliding... fast.

The console has only been out a year but failing to reach tragets by just under 50% was a drastic disaster for Nintendo. GBA selling millions or not Nintendo will not keep a dead weight going as long as Microsoft will. Sales for Nintendo's Gamecube are at the stage where they ARE indeed making money... but recent reports show this is only a temporay thing.

Dixons and Argos have removed their Gamecube stock. Argos are only willing to stock under 50% of their normal Gamecube shipments but originally planned to cut the console all together. The GAME group have also scaled down its Gamecube size and so has Blockbuster/Choices who are removing Gamecube stock all together from certain stores. Despite shocking concerns it doesn't appear all TOO bad, Nintendo stock is still booming in certain retailers with Special Reserve indicating that they are enjoying some success with Nintendo's console. Also independant retailers across britain are enjoying some success.

Nevertheless it all looked grim but Nintendo have to face another problem... the 3rd parties. Whereas the N64 began with little 3rd party support and that grew, it is the opposite for the Cube. Codemasters already withdrew from Nintendo support and the success of Zelda was to define Infogrammes support. Capcom are trying to shift attention slowly back to Sony and SEGA's new plan includes a dramatic recline in Nintendo support.

In an attempt to counter-act the problem Nintendo are to produce a royalty scheme. Nintendo will also stop the high prices 3rd parties are forced to spend. EA, the biggest company that threatened to leave Nintendo, the company that broke SEGA, were the last straw for Nintendo and their 'wait and see' attitude. EA are vital to Nintendo's success and So Nintendo revealed that a deal broke last month, Nintendo offered Electronic Arts a fresh royalty break of the cost of game production, plus $1 US, resulting in the slew of titles announced by Electronic Arts during March.

A similar deal (although not AS great) is being done to all 3rd parties. Nintendo have their backs to the wall, the games that saved them during the N64 are NOT doing it this time. Zelda and Mario unsuprisingly hit the number one spot but for a mere week, Mario's success was similar to Pikmin's in Japan and this was a devestating blow. In an attempt to push Zelda Nintendo announced a bonus disc. It took record pre-orders but then, as it with Mario, the game dropped!

Metroid Prime did moderate success again and just as Nintendo had hoped... great but not world smashing. Nintendo realize that it is the other developers that can unleash a smash hit and so losing them would be killer.

It is the new titles that Nintendo are developing that look to save the company in the long run. Pikmin did VERY well and as the game gets a sequel, and another... the game will become bigger. Metroid Prime is also looking like a firm favourite for the west. Animal Crossing is also set to get bigger.

But these games will take time to reach critical success... the third parties and the dwindeling success of their ancient franchises Zelda and Mario are all Nintendo have left to stay alive.

Maybe it is time Pokemon returned to the home consoles... and then we may have that temporary revival that is so vital.

Dringo.
Sat 12/04/03 at 19:03
Regular
In my opinion, The Gamecube is not going to take the terrible path of the Nintendo 64.

Nintendo have made a huge number of mistakes with the Gamecubes marketing, especially in Europe.

But they're rectifying their errors, and pushing the Gamecube forward.

I see future in the Gamecube, just Nintendo need to get off their backsides and do something more, Get the 'Cube to penetrate the mass market. Push it forward, And keep those top quality titles coming in.

Its not Goodbye, Its more of a "See you soon"....
Sat 12/04/03 at 19:05
Regular
Hmm they dropped the royalty rates for third parties so it should be cheaper to develop games for the cube.
Sat 12/04/03 at 19:43
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
It's advertising, Nintendo just don't seem to do it.
Sat 12/04/03 at 19:46
Regular
And when they do, eg, Metroid Prime advert, it sucks...
Sat 12/04/03 at 19:47
Regular
Just like the Resident Evil Zero one.
Sat 12/04/03 at 19:50
Regular
Still, the original Resi one was great... even adults get scared...
Sat 12/04/03 at 22:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
What I want to know is how can you buy a GC from SR on there website as there are no links at all? I saw this a few weeks ago when I was searching, you can buy othe consoles but not the GC. The Zelda pack is there but none of the normal packs are there, so is SR losing customers on this? I already own a GC so it's not that I want to buy one, but maybe mistakes like this could be contributing to Nintendos low sales ?(Note hint of sarcasm on the last sentence.)
Sat 12/04/03 at 22:43
Regular
Huh, yeah. They're still on the database, as a search for 'purple' shows, but no links from ukgamecube
You could go post about it in the customer service forum...
Sat 12/04/03 at 22:53
Regular
"Hallelujah"
it'll be hard to shift the veiws people have of the gamecube cause the N64 took such a terrible blow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.